1054 replies to this topic

#1001 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:28 AM

His last few carries he was getting stuffed or losing yardage.

Yeah, hopefully Roman advocates for JK's release. He's done.

#1002 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:37 AM

I'll buy the matches

I got the lighter fluid...

#1003 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:39 AM

JK was running like a man possessed last night and there was no reason for him not to have had at least 20 touches. I'm glad he vented in the post-game locker room because the staff needs to hear it. For a team that has struggled so mightily in the red zone but has a back that runs with both toughness and elusiveness, then doesn't give him the ball inside the 10 on the most critical drive of the season? Come the f on, man.

It's a damn shame because Macdonald seems to have solved Cincy's offense but because we failed to put the ball in the endzone in 3 of 4 red zone trips, the season is over.

I'm not the guy that's always calling for the coach to be fired but if Harbaugh tries to retain Roman, they both need to go.

Although, even if Roman goes, the bizarre clock management again might be enough to tell John to take a hike as well.

Huntley cant go quick. I mean he can but good luck having him calling real plays and getting into good matchups in a two min offense. I think it would be as close to back yard football as you get in the NFL.

As far as MacDonald goes, hes gotten better. Last night he was able to do what he wanted to do all year. Get pressure with 4 or 5 and play diciplined rallying ball behind that. Any defense is going to look better when you pressure bringing 4 or 5 all night

#1004 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:40 AM

Good. You are starting to see the light.

Its a rare ill advised hot take from Mack

#1005 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:59 AM

Huntley cant go quick. I mean he can but good luck having him calling real plays and getting into good matchups in a two min offense. I think it would be as close to back yard football as you get in the NFL.

As far as MacDonald goes, hes gotten better. Last night he was able to do wgat he wanted to do all year. Get pressure with 4 or 5 and play diciplined rallying ball behind that. Any defense is going to look better when you pressure bringing 4 or 5 all night

Burrow seems to struggle with the 2 and 3 deep looks. Plus, we played very little man coverage the first 2 games (I think it was like 7 total snaps of man) and I'm sure last night was the same. Getting pressure with 4 absolutely helped but having a disciplined strategy to disrupt what the Bengals has been big.

Harbaugh's explanation for the clock management at the end of the game was akin to Buck's explanation of why he didn't use Britton in the 2016 wild card game. I can appreciate looking ahead but you have to get the TD first before any of the other stuff matters.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1006 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:05 AM

I thought the clock management was ok. They ran all the plays they could, if they had more time they still get to 4th down. With how frequently the defense has given away leads late this year, I thought it ok to try and eliminate that potential.

The 3rd-and-goal playcall the big sin in my eyes. Still can't believe that happened. You can criticize players for poor execution, but that wasn't what happened. They didn't miss a block. It was a total cluster because the QB had options. Such a disastrous call on a 3rd down.

#1007 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:13 AM

I thought the clock management was ok. They ran all the plays they could, if they had more time they still get to 4th down. With how frequently the defense has given away leads late this year, I thought it ok to try and eliminate that potential.

The 3rd-and-goal playcall the big sin in my eyes. Still can't believe that happened. You can criticize players for poor execution, but that wasn't what happened. They didn't miss a block. It was a total cluster because the QB had options. Such a disastrous call on a 3rd down.

Complete hindsight on the call. It works if executed properly. End of discussion. Other calls may have worked too but to say it was a disasterous call in hindsight because the QB didnt execute it properly is just ridiculous. Saying that play is grounds for firing the HC is even more ridiculous.
  • Steve55 likes this

#1008 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:19 AM

Complete hindsight on the call. It works if executed properly. End of discussion. Other calls may have worked too but to say it was a disasterous call in hindsight because the QB didnt execute it properly is just ridiculous. Saying that play which was poorly executed by is grounds for firing the HC is even more ridiculous.

If the QB doesn't have the option to go over-the-pile in his mind, then its not the same play design.  That's baked into the design of the play, and makes it atrocious.  That can't be an option in this scenario, and it was.  I don't believe for one second that going over the top isn't one of the choices the QB has to pick from based on what he sees after the snap.  No chance did Huntley completely ad lib that, IMO.  Even if he did, still on coaching to have trained that out of him.

Its not grounds on its own for firing him.  But its a colossal mistake that tipped the scales the other way for me.  I was accepting of the warts because I thought the good outweighed the bad.  That he can make such a grotesque mistake makes me no longer think that.  I've lost confidence.  He's not going to get fired, so he'll have a chance to rebuild it.  But I'm out right now. 

• SonicAttack likes this

#1009 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:37 AM

I just want an OC who doesn't get cute and use spare parts at the goal line. Andrews at RB, throwing it to the FB who's name escapes me now. Pound it with your goddamn RBs.

KC uses a shovel type pass to Kelce every game. Its up to the blockers to execute.

#1010 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:39 AM

I'm still saying coaching lost that game.  You want your backup QB to sneak it when you have a Dobbins and Edwards on your team?  Seriously?  Your coaches are supposed to put you in the best position to win the game.  Every player thinks he can do everything.  It is the coaches job to know what his players can really do.

Harbaugh said he they didn't really want to give the ball to their running backs in the backfield because if they lost yardage it would make it tougher on 4th down.  I'm like what?  How many negative yards did any Raven's RB have?  I don't remember many.  And if you call a quick hitter up the middle the chance of losing 2-3 yards is like almost zero.  Very weak answer, imo.

Also, it was a tie game. You can always kick a field goal and still take the lead. B.S. answer

#1011 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:40 AM

Burrow seems to struggle with the 2 and 3 deep looks. Plus, we played very little man coverage the first 2 games (I think it was like 7 total snaps of man) and I'm sure last night was the same. Getting pressure with 4 absolutely helped but having a disciplined strategy to disrupt what the Bengals has been big.

Harbaugh's explanation for the clock management at the end of the game was akin to Buck's explanation of why he didn't use Britton in the 2016 wild card game. I can appreciate looking ahead but you have to get the TD first before any of the other stuff matters.

You could remember what Mahomes did with 15 sec and then having Burrow & Chase on the other side of the field. Our luck a 40 yrd PI would be called.

#1012 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:42 AM

The idea that wanting a coaching change all the time isn't really applicable here. Harbs has been here 15 seasons now. This isn't a knee jerk reaction, the SAME mistakes and flaws have been on display for many years.

Yes!

#1013 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:43 AM

Didn't Harbaugh say Huntley was supposed to go low and be pushed in .?

#1014 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:46 AM

Didn't Harbaugh say Huntley was supposed to go low and be pushed in .?

Huntley is NOT a competent decision maker in the pocket. That's clear and obvious to anyone who's seen him play the last two seasons. He's also the guy Roman wants as the 2.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#1015 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 02:19 PM

If anyone recall we've seen the over the top stretch before and the same thing happened. A few seasons ago vs the Browns, Jackson went to jump over the line and stretch the ball out. It got knocked out and Cleveland ran the fumble back for a TD. It was called back on down by contact. Jackson thought he had broke the plane and it was a TD. Huntley thought the same last night.

Brady has done that play many times but he's brought the ball back in to himself after the initial stretch.

#1016 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,444 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 02:28 PM

Putting it out there them bringing it right back still seems risky, but Huntley literally left it out there begging for someone to smack it free and they did.

#1017 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 03:06 PM

Putting it out there them bringing it right back still seems risky, but Huntley literally left it out there begging for someone to smack it free and they did.

He was waiting for the TD signal. He thought he scored.

#1018 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 03:50 PM

He was a yard and a half short.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1019 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 03:53 PM

He was a yard and a half short.

Which is why you don't attempt a qb sneak from two yards out. But you know, Roman.

• Mackus likes this

#1020 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 04:41 PM

Which is why you don't attempt a qb sneak from two yards out. But you know, Roman.

It was just a blatantly stupid call.  Harbaugh can defend it all he wants but any, reasonably intelligent coach hands that ball off to Dobbins. If not, then hands it off to Edwards. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=