#41 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 09 January 2023 - 08:25 AM

On another note, it seems right on brand that the Bengals were crying about the physicality with which this game was played. Particularly considering how they pissed and moaned about the possible coin flip scenario to the point where they choreographed a mock coin flip celebration.

No matter who plays QB for the Ravens on Sunday, this game is going to be hard hitting and contentious for 60 minutes.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#42 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 01:15 PM

There's no way the networks could know whether Lamar is playing or not. No one will know until practice resumes this Wednesday. 

This is one of the more intriguing matchups of Wildcard Weekend. It's not unique in the fact that it's between division rivals, but the other two--Miami-Buffalo and Seattle-San Francisco--don't figure to be as competitive. 

I thought it would be fairly obvious I was kidding. I'm sure NBC is watching the reports and hoping for the best like all Ravens fans are.

For what it's worth, I think he's going to play. The problem is just how healthy he really is. My read on everything that's been reported is that Lamar's gonna gut it out, but he unfortunately isn't going to be particularly close to 100%.

#43 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 05:32 PM

On another note, it seems right on brand that the Bengals were crying about the physicality with which this game was played. Particularly considering how they pissed and moaned about the possible coin flip scenario to the point where they choreographed a mock coin flip celebration.

No matter who plays QB for the Ravens on Sunday, this game is going to be hard hitting and contentious for 60 minutes.

I didn't know he was using a real coin. Neither did the refs or they would have kicked off from the 20. Mixon has a fine coming his way. Or let's see if the league ignores it over their poor treatment of the Bengals. ( sarcasm )

#44 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 06:19 PM

This game feels like a speed bump for the offseason. I'm much more interested in what happens after it then during it.

#45 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 11:59 PM

I think if Lamar is a DNP tomorrow, it’s over. I somehow don’t see him being DNP, then limited, and playing, or being DNP all week and playing.

If he’s limited tomorrow, barring a setback, he’ll play Sunday even if not 100%. Better than nothing.

If Lamar doesn’t play, shame on the Ravens for not getting an actual QB in here sometime in the last month knowing you’re likely to make the playoffs, and needing a backup plan better than what you got for games that matter.

Shame on them anyway for not addressing it, even if Lamar had already returned last week.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#46 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:04 AM

Who are you signing in November/December though? If your QB is injured 3/4's of the way through the season you're screwed.

If your QB is injured at all during the season for any significant time you're basically screwed.

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:16 AM

Who are you signing in November/December though? If your QB is injured 3/4's of the way through the season you're screwed.

If your QB is injured at all during the season for any significant time you're basically screwed.

Its the style of offense we run and play. Its set up for this type of QB. Huntley and maybe even Brown can do what Lamar can do. RPO stuff. run the ball. etc. THey obviously just dont do it anywhere near as well. Its proof that Lamar is still 1 of 1.  We need to transition to a more traditional style of offense. Get rid of Huntley and likely Brown. Dont know if the anwer is then to spend on a decent backup or if it is to plan on drafting one since you arent as limited with the pool of players in a more traditional style offense.

#48 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 12:25 AM

The 2017 Eagles say hi.

To answer your question, Cam Newton comes to mind. You’re likely still “screwed”, but I feel more confident that Cam can give you a few good games like Foles did than anyone on the current roster.
@BSLMikeRandall

#49 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 06:26 AM

The 2017 Eagles say hi.

To answer your question, Cam Newton comes to mind. You’re likely still “screwed”, but I feel more confident that Cam can give you a few good games like Foles did than anyone on the current roster.

Foles was already on the Eagles to start the 2017 season. He was already a proven commodity by the time the SB run came around. He's a very capable QB in the NFL. I don't think the same can be said for Huntley or Brown.

Tyrod Taylor would've been an interesting backup option for when Lamar inevitably got hurt.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 06:38 AM

Balt Sun: No update on QB Lamar Jackson ahead of Ravens’ playoff matchup vs. Bengals; RB Gus Edwards in concussion protocol

#51 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 10 January 2023 - 11:12 AM

Balt Sun: No update on QB Lamar Jackson ahead of Ravens’ playoff matchup vs. Bengals; RB Gus Edwards in concussion protocol

I didn't think Gus formally entered the concussion protocol but I suppose that anytime you're evaluated for a head injury and then don't re-enter the game, you have to be in the protocol. Hopefully, this goes like Huntley a few weeks ago and we see Gus on the practice field fully by Thursday.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#52 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 02:02 PM

Foles was already on the Eagles to start the 2017 season. He was already a proven commodity by the time the SB run came around. He's a very capable QB in the NFL. I don't think the same can be said for Huntley or Brown.

Tyrod Taylor would've been an interesting backup option for when Lamar inevitably got hurt.

True about Foles. But Wentz was an MVP candidate when he went down in what, week 15? And Foles carried them all the way to the top. I think the Ravens definitely needed to upgrade the backup QB position after what we saw Huntley do (or not do) last year. 

Taylor signed with the Giants back in March 2022. 2/$17M. I wouldn't have done that deal for Tyrod. 

But the Ravens seemed content with Huntley entrenched as QB2, so they ignored the position otherwise. They should have at a minimum brought in someone real, not Anthony Brown, to compete with Huntley in summer. They didn't, and when LJ went down, they had a second chance to bring in someone with some experience (Newton sitting at home) to backup Huntley, and be ready to step in after a couple weeks when Huntley inevitably looks like it takes all his might to throw the ball 20 yards, and LJ isn't ready to come back. They didn't. Feeling content with Huntley and Brown, has cost them games, arguably the division.

But hey. Huntley and LJ played against each other in high school once. It's a cool story. We have to keep that link together and keep the legend going.

[eyeroll] 

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 02:04 PM

I had no issue with Huntley as the backup this past off-season. Don't recall anyone else suggesting he wasn't adequate, either, but maybe some did and I'm not remembering.

#54 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 02:08 PM

It's not just about adding "a QB" to backup Lamar.  For Roman, it's about adding a backup QB that can most closely run a similar offense, which includes running the ball and making plays on the ground when protection breaks down.  Basically, he needs guys who can save the day when it goes off script.

Because Roman can't scheme a remotely traditional pro-style offense with pocket passing as a feature. That can't happen for him. It never has, and it never will. 

Huntley is a cheap knock-off of Lamar's running ability... so that's what they wanted to go with most. He doesn't have a fraction of Lamar's QB / pocket ability, and the more he plays, the more film for teams to study that shows how very very limited he is when it comes to decision making and throwing the ball.

#55 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 02:18 PM

Maybe my memory is bad, but I thought Huntley looked better last year. I was mostly checked out after the Lamar injury, though.

#56 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 02:56 PM

Maybe my memory is bad, but I thought Huntley looked better last year. I was mostly checked out after the Lamar injury, though.

To be fair to him, they say he's been dealing with shoulder tendinitis. We have no idea really how long or how badly it's been affecting him. For someone without great arm strength to begin with that's probably a huge deal--if you barely have an NFL arm then making it even worse makes you look, well, like he's looked the past month.

#57 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 10 January 2023 - 03:11 PM

Having Hollywood, Bateman and Duvernay as options last year helped Huntley. As Makoman mentioned, Huntley also has some shoulder issues, which may be impacting him but having doo-doo at WR certainly didn't help the cause.

@primetime667083

#58 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 03:51 PM

He definitely looked better last year...at least in the first few games he played.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#59 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 04:27 PM

Huntley couldn't finish drives last year either. He basically has his first read, usually quick and short, and if that's not clear, it isn't happening. There's really no "quick scan thru your progressions" with him. That becomes evident after watching him for a while, and you can be sure opposing NFL coordinators see it in film study.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#60 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 10 January 2023 - 04:31 PM

Some calls for him to be a starter. ROFL
  • bmore_ken likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=