614 replies to this topic

#541 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:17 PM

Brown opened up some things for Andrews and others. The drops sucked but guy is a legit WR. I think hes better than Torrey

Not having a legit WR definitely hurt Andrews this year.

No one respected Robinson, Jackson, Duvernay, Proche. Andrews started to fall off big time after Bateman went down.

#542 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:24 PM

I don't think being a 1,000 yard receiver in today's NFL is anything special. He ranked 25th last year.

He's arguably the best WR we've ever drafted not named Torrey Smith, though.

So you think a thousand yard receiver is worthless?

#543 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,373 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:27 PM

You think a thousand yard receiver is worthless?

I don't think being a 1,000 yard receiver in today's NFL is anything special. He ranked 25th last year.

So you think a thousand yard receiver is worthless?

Did he not answer your question?

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#544 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:28 PM

Did he not answer your question?

He did not

#545 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:29 PM

He did not

I don't think it's worthless. I don't think 1,008 receiving yards in today's NFL is particularly special.

#546 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:44 PM

Where did you get 25th? He was 14th in yards. Of the players ahead of him, one of them was his teammate.

#547 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:49 PM

Where did you get 25th? He was 14th in yards. Of the players ahead of him, one of them was his teammate.

25th in the NFL. 14th in the AFC.

#548 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 08:58 PM

25th in the NFL. 14th in the AFC.

He's 14th in the NFL unless Green Bay and Carolina joined the AFC without telling me.

https://imgur.com/a/wlgsW2f

#549 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:03 PM

He's 14th in the NFL unless Green Bay and Carolina joined the AFC without telling me.

https://imgur.com/a/wlgsW2f

I'm talking yardage, not receptions.

#550 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:07 PM

I'm talking yardage, not receptions.

My bad, yeah okay.

#551 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:08 PM

1000 yards is 58.8 per game.

Not a special mark anymore.
@BSLMikeRandall

#552 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:14 PM

Brown's YPG average was much lower last year once Lamar for hurt. Bateman didn't play that many games WITH Lamar because Bateman was hurt early in the season. I think full year of those three would have posted legit, credible NFL 1 & 2 WR numbers for the most part. Not top tier duo caliber, but not the usual "Ravens don't have receivers conversation starter" level

#553 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:17 PM

I don't think it's worthless. I don't think 1,008 receiving yards in today's NFL is particularly special.

Among WRs that were drafted between 20 and 40 he compares quite well. There are a few that have performed a bit better but he is definitely above average.

Since 2015 there have been 26 WRs that were drafted between 20 and 40. I'd say there have been only 4 that have outperformed Hollywood during that span: Jefferson, Aiyuk, Higgins, and Deebo.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#554 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 09:29 PM

Among WRs thay were drafted between 20 and 40 he compares quite well. There are a few that have performed a bit better but he is definitely above average.

Since 2015 there have been 26 WRs that were drafted between 20 and 40. I'd say there have been only 4 that have outperformed Hollywood during that span: Jefferson, Aiyuk, Higgins, and Deebo.

Yeah, he wasn't the bust that Perriman or Mark Clayton were. Hollywood never lived up to the hype.

His rookie season wasn't anything special after his first two games.

He had 1 100 yard game his sophomore year. He had 1 other game with 90+ yards.

He was on pace for a big 2021, but all but disappeared once Lamar went down. He had 326 yards his final 8 games.

I expected more even with a heavy run oriented offense.

#555 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,089 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:13 PM

I think the more pressing point is that Brown is the only recent success story at WR and he's a solid guy at best. He's not the problem, but that he's all we really have to show for a fairly decent amount of draft capital is the issue. It's not any one of the guys, but that nobody taken has popped and become a go-to guy. Plenty of blame to go around for that, and maybe Bateman becomes that guy, but we're still looking for a stud.

#556 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:18 PM

Yeah, he wasn't the bust that Perriman or Mark Clayton were. Hollywood never lived up to the hype.
His rookie season wasn't anything special after his first two games.
He had 1 100 yard game his sophomore year. He had 1 other game with 90+ yards.
He was on pace for a big 2021, but all but disappeared once Lamar went down. He had 326 yards his final 8 games.
I expected more even with a heavy run oriented offense.

I really have a hard time classifying someone who performed in the top 20% of players with similar draft position as even mildly disappointing. Considering we traded him for a similar position first rounder it seems like the NFL thinks he's a successful pick too.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#557 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 10:25 PM

I think the more pressing point is that Brown is the only recent success story at WR and he's a solid guy at best. He's not the problem, but that he's all we really have to show for a fairly decent amount of draft capital is the issue. It's not any one of the guys, but that nobody taken has popped and become a go-to guy. Plenty of blame to go around for that, and maybe Bateman becomes that guy, but we're still looking for a stud.

Bateman has 2 more years on his rookie deal to make an impact. After Bateman and Hollywood, we have mostly mid round picks that don't have a great success rate. If you're counting TEs then we have Likely, Andrews, and Hurst. You have to go back to Perriman for the last WR we took in the first 2 rounds.

Even among the mid rounders we did hit on Duvernay, who looks like, at worst, a playable 3rd WR on most NFL teams with a knack for special teams.

#558 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 07:47 AM

Can Roman remove the "have rookie QB throw from the endzone" play?  He's done it twice now with Brown and while it worked in Pitt, it failed miserably yesterday.  Pretty much ended the game.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#559 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 09 January 2023 - 08:52 AM

Can Roman remove the "have rookie QB throw from the endzone" play?  He's done it twice now with Brown and while it worked in Pitt, it failed miserably yesterday.  Pretty much ended the game.

He had Brown throw 44 times yesterday.  Plus 4 sacks, he dropped back at least 48 times.  A not great rookie on the road making his first NFL start.

Now... the retort will be... they were down 17-0 early, what do you want him to do!?!?!?!?  Examine WHY they were down 17-0 early...

Two interceptions because they put the ball in the air.  The first was a horrific pass.  On first down.  The second was bobbled, but again, know your personnel.  Rookie QB, first start, weak WR corps.  The third TD when they were sort of close... a fumble because they're asking him to throw from his own goal line in the closing seconds of the half (instead of keeping it on the ground, making Cincy burn TOs, and try to get to halftime with a little good vibe).

Throw the ball as little as humanly possible.  Run on first.  Run on second and long.  Run on third and long even.  See where you are on 4th, and probably punt.  If you're throwing, it's off play action with a back next to you (not empty backfield).  Force Cincy to drive 70+ yards for TDs, don't give short fields.  Maybe that run heavy scheme starts to wear down the DL.  It's simple fact... run blocking allows the OL to initiate contact more and attack the DL.  This can (not guaranteed) make no gains / short gains early on when "the run isn't working" turn in to big chunks later in the game.  But you have to have the patience to stick to it and punt a little, and hope that your D contributes too.  Roman has no patience.  No stick-to-it-iveness.  None.  Zero.

Roman creates his own challenges because he mismanages the skills and abilities of the talent he has at his disposal.

So yeah, they trailed big early because they played the exact style of football that was MOST LIKELY to dig them in that hole.  Having a rookie QB put the ball in the air (predictably) without a great cast to make everything work perfectly for him.  Face the reality of what you have Greg.  John, just stand there with that slightly annoyed, mostly confused and bewildered look on your face and enjoy the paycheck.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#560 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 January 2023 - 09:02 AM

I was distracted with the Terps game, I saw Roquan Smith take a knee after a play, looked like he was in pain, did he return? Is he okay?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=