614 replies to this topic

#521 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 05:33 PM

Remember when we were excited that they hired Tee Martin and that other guy to take the passing game to the next level? Brown, Bateman, Duvernay, and Proche were going to explode. Good times.

Brown and Bateman combined for 1500 yards and 7 TDs last season.

#522 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 08 January 2023 - 05:45 PM

Why does this staff never develop WRs either? Harbaugh has long had a reputation for preferring veterans over rookies / young guys unless they're a first round pick. Proche was fantastic in college, caught 200 passes and 27 TDs his last two years... but here anytime someone goes down Harbs wants EDC to bring in a largely unwanted vet like Jackson or Watkins. Don't think for a second Harbs isn't telling EDC what they want, Eric isn't forcing street FA vets on Harbs and telling him to play them.

Lacks speed, yet he has enough speed and they trust his hands enough to handle returns.

No doubt in my mind a lot of other coaches / OCs would at least have him as a decent 2 or 3 option that can hold on to the ball and contribute some short to medium move the chains receptions.

We developed Hollywood. As much as we complained about his usage i think he made the offense more palatable than it should have been with Huntley as our QB.

I think Bateman would have been a serious positive development if he stayed healthy. He was on pace for over 1000 yards before he hurt himself.

I also think EDC listened a little too much to analytics that say that good TEs are as good or better EPA than WRs. I think that's what led him to pass on a bunch of WRs in the draft and it's clearly bit us in the ass.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#523 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 05:48 PM

I'm surprised how so many of you feel good about next week.  I guess I'll have to play the spoil sport because I just don't see it.  The Bengals are a better team, they're at home and unlike this week, get a full practice in leading up to the game.  Everyone seems to be banking on "if Lamar plays..." but even if he does, it still looks like a 10-17 point spread to me.  He hasn't played or practiced for weeks, will have a lot of rust, won't be 100%, meaning his ability to use his legs will be highly compromised.  I can't imagine the Ravens turning the ball over 4 times again or have that many drops by the receivers but I still don't think it will make that much of a difference. I've been seeing this one and done for awhile now and nothing that happened today has changed my mind.  

#524 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2023 - 05:50 PM

I'm surprised how so many of you feel good about next week. I guess I'll have to play the spoil sport because I just don't see it. The Bengals are a better team, they're at home and unlike this week, get a full practice in leading up to the game. Everyone seems to be banking on "if Lamar plays..." but even if he does, it still looks like a 10-17 point spread to me. He hasn't played or practiced for weeks, will have a lot of rust, won't be 100%, meaning his ability to use his legs will be highly compromised. I can't imagine the Ravens turning the ball over 4 times again or have that many drops by the receivers but I still don't think it will make that much of a difference. I've been seeing this one and done for awhile now and nothing that happened today has changed my mind.

I mean, they’re playing with house money as far as I’m concerned. Which I like. I am not expecting a win, but I can see it.

#525 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,483 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 05:53 PM

Thats fine if you want to point out Cincy barely practiced. Ill counter by saying we had a lot of backups and I felt like we did well at the LOS. Its a divisional game. Teams know each other. If Lamar is playing and this line in 7+ or higher Im def playing the Ravens

#526 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 05:55 PM

You have to remember where we drafted these guys. I think Bateman and Brown are the types of talents you would expect from guys drafted in the 20s. Youve already got more than you could hqve expected from Duv. I dont know that tge positional coaches deserve much blame. Both Brown and Bateman have had their injuey issues. Its also obvious that the style they want to play and do play with Lamar isnt going to lend itself to having very productive WRs

Wasn't Duvernay a third round pick? I think just about every team could get more out of Duvernay than we have.

#527 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 05:55 PM

Brown and Bateman combined for 1500 yards and 7 TDs last season.

Is that good production for two first round draft picks?

#528 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:18 PM

Thats fine if you want to point out Cincy barely practiced. Ill counter by saying we had a lot of backups and I felt like we did well at the LOS. Its a divisional game. Teams know each other. If Lamar is playing and this line in 7+ or higher Im def playing the Ravens

If Lamar does play, I doubt the line will be 7+ but I think the ultimate outcome will cover that and more. 

#529 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,575 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:24 PM

I don't think the assumption should be all pro status because we spent 2 late firsts on WR. Jerry Jeudy and Jaelen Raegor were picked earlier and they are not as productive as Hollywood or Bateman has been, even with Bateman's injuries, for example. When you factor in usage patterns due to our running attack I think it's even more pronounced in favor of our guys.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#530 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:29 PM

If Lamar does play, I doubt the line will be 7+ but I think the ultimate outcome will cover that and more.

We outgained them by almost 150 yds. with our 3rd string qb. Two or 3 plays and this is a different outcome. I don't think this is a mismatch at all. If Lamar plays I'm worried if I'm Cincinnati.

#531 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:33 PM

I'm surprised how so many of you feel good about next week. I guess I'll have to play the spoil sport because I just don't see it. The Bengals are a better team, they're at home and unlike this week, get a full practice in leading up to the game. Everyone seems to be banking on "if Lamar plays..." but even if he does, it still looks like a 10-17 point spread to me. He hasn't played or practiced for weeks, will have a lot of rust, won't be 100%, meaning his ability to use his legs will be highly compromised. I can't imagine the Ravens turning the ball over 4 times again or have that many drops by the receivers but I still don't think it will make that much of a difference. I've been seeing this one and done for awhile now and nothing that happened today has changed my mind.

It's very possible Cincy comes out on fire next week and blows us away. But today they came out and played like it was a playoff game. Came out throwing it all around. Purposely targeted Worley, our weakest CB on the field almost exclusively. Were blitzing Brown and stacking the box. All of the extra BS they were doing, acting like it was Baltimore that ruled it a NC and a coin flip.

All of that, and with 4 TO's, one that ended in a TD, they still only put 27 on the Ravens. Short field the whole first half and their offense could only put up 17. Burrow threw the ball 42 times. He was running for his life all afternoon. And in the process of proving whatever point it was Taylor was trying to prove, he got another one of his offensive lineman hurt.

We can generate pressure at a high rate against this line. On the offensive side, we should be able to win at the LOS as well.

All comes down to whether Lamar plays or not. Sure, his leg may not be 100%. But let's stop acting like he's also not our best passing QB as well. Add in Andrews and Dobbins, and it all tells me we have a chance. No way this game should be a double digit spread.

#532 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:48 PM

I'm surprised how so many of you feel good about next week.  I guess I'll have to play the spoil sport because I just don't see it.  The Bengals are a better team, they're at home and unlike this week, get a full practice in leading up to the game.  Everyone seems to be banking on "if Lamar plays..." but even if he does, it still looks like a 10-17 point spread to me.  He hasn't played or practiced for weeks, will have a lot of rust, won't be 100%, meaning his ability to use his legs will be highly compromised.  I can't imagine the Ravens turning the ball over 4 times again or have that many drops by the receivers but I still don't think it will make that much of a difference. I've been seeing this one and done for awhile now and nothing that happened today has changed my mind.  

Personally I have no illusions about next week. Lamar has been sitting 5 weeks , so even if he's healthy, rust becomes a factor since he hasn't practiced. We've seen what Huntley and Brown bring to the table. And Roman is still here. It's likely the Lamar contract situation will be more exciting than the game next week. 

#533 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:48 PM

You think a thousand yard receiver is worthless?

#534 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:49 PM

We outgained them by almost 150 yds. with our 3rd string qb. Two or 3 plays and this is a different outcome. I don't think this is a mismatch at all. If Lamar plays I'm worried if I'm Cincinnati.

Once Cincinnati got up by three scores they looked pretty comfortable. The Burrow fumble made the game closer than it should have been. I give the Ravens credit for not getting blown out, but there was no way they were going to allow Anthony Brown to mount a comeback. Unless Lamar is 100% healthy and the Ravens come out firing on all cylinders, I expect a similar outcome next week.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#535 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 06:54 PM

Once Cincinnati got up by three scores they looked pretty comfortable. The Burrow fumble made the game closer than it should have been. I give the Ravens credit for not getting blown out, but there was no way they were going to allow Anthony Brown to mount a comeback. Unless Lamar is 100% healthy and the Ravens come out firing on all cylinders, I expect a similar outcome next week.

They threw the ball 42 times, to 17 runs. They wanted a blowout to make a statement. Even with constant short fields, and a defensive TD, they struggled to put away a team not really even trying to win.

#536 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,373 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:00 PM

If Lamar, Dobbins, Andrews, Peters, and Gus play...  it's like 55/45 to Cincinnati in-terms of %s imo.

• PrimeTime likes this

#537 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:01 PM

You think a thousand yard receiver is worthless?

I don't think being a 1,000 yard receiver in today's NFL is anything special. He ranked 25th last year.

He's arguably the best WR we've ever drafted not named Torrey Smith, though.

#538 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,483 posts

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:08 PM

Brown opened up some things for Andrews and others. The drops sucked but guy is a legit WR. I think hes better than Torrey

#539 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:08 PM

They threw the ball 42 times, to 17 runs. They wanted a blowout to make a statement. Even with constant short fields, and a defensive TD, they struggled to put away a team not really even trying to win.

This is what has me encouraged. Also, as Chris mentioned, health is going to be key, especially #8.

I think the defense has something to prove, particularly against these guys. The Bengals are carrying themselves as the anointed ones and I think that's going to really fuel the Ravens' fire.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#540 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 January 2023 - 07:10 PM

Next week, I think we should use Likely on the outside here and there to create a size mismatch on a corner. I sincerely think we can do some damage out of 3 TE sets if we play our cards right.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=