@mikeghg

#82 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 January 2023 - 05:32 PM

On a brighter note, lacrosse season starts in 34 days.

• mdrunning likes this

#83 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 January 2023 - 05:33 PM

13 points at the half. Borderline fireable offense. Insane. It keeps happening.

#84 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 January 2023 - 05:39 PM

Tennessee - 17 first half points, but against a top defense
UCLA - 20 first half points at home, UCLA also a good D
Michigan - 13 first half points against the 105th ranked D

That’s some high school BS right there.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#85 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 05:55 PM

They aren't very talented.

Scott is OK. Young was a Charlotte stud. The rest are bench guys at best. Reese is a waste. Hart, Carey, and Martinez are getting 5-10 minutes a night on good teams. The bench has 1 or 2 guys who should even have D1 scholarships.

I'll give Willard this year as a pass. He definitely wasn't a world beating amazing hire, though.

#86 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 05:56 PM

They aren't very talented.

Scott is OK. Young was a Charlotte stud. The rest are bench guys at best. Reese is a waste. Hart, Carey, and Martinez are getting 5-10 minutes a night on good teams. The bench has 1 or 2 guys who should even have D1 scholarships.

I'll give Willard this year as a pass. He definitely wasn't a world beating amazing hire, though.

I tend to agree. The talent just isn't very good.

#87 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 05:59 PM

And the Vikings getting waxed by the Packers. What a craptacular sports afternoon.

#88 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:02 PM

And the Vikings getting waxed by the Packers. What a craptacular sports afternoon.

Sounds like the Vikings have them right where they want them.

#89 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:03 PM

Tennessee - 17 first half points, but against a top defense
UCLA - 20 first half points at home, UCLA also a good D
Michigan - 13 first half points against the 105th ranked D

That’s some high school BS right there.

That's bad, but Scott and maybe Young are really the only guys who would be starting on real power 5 teams, and Young's debatable. The talent level that Turgeon left here was terrible.

Of course, Willard didn't do much to help himself with Batchelor being his only HS guy and not landing any quality bigs from the portal.

#90 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:09 PM

Emilien fouls out with 14 minutes left because Wiilard sat all starters other than Carey.

#91 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:11 PM

Scott, Hart and Young glued to the bench so far in the 2nd half. Good, because they all absolutely sucked.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#92 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:11 PM

Emilien trying to average more fouls than points or rebounds for the year.

#93 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:15 PM

That's bad, but Scott and maybe Young are really the only guys who would be starting on real power 5 teams, and Young's debatable. The talent level that Turgeon left here was terrible.

Of course, Willard didn't do much to help himself with Batchelor being his only HS guy and not landing any quality bigs from the portal.

Hart's going to be a pro somewhere next year.  He'd get minutes anywhere. 
Carey shot 39% from 3 last year for Georgetown on 5.9 attempts per game... 
It's a step-up for Young, but 1st team CUSA... 

Those 3 with Scott, and Reese is not an abysmal starting 5.

Haven't seen much from Long... 
Emilien not good enough, but 12.5 ppg at St. Francis last year, experienced, okay for a rotation.

Cornish? Not sure why he isn't playing more.

Martinez was at Utah before coming to MD... 4 star according to Rivals and 247

Dzibua was at Arizona State before coming to MD.... 4 star according to 247.... can't get off the bench...

Swanton-Rodger obviously a developmental guy... 

Batchelor has some bounce... was at IMG...  could see him developing into a solid player. 

My point isn't that there is overwhelming talent... there isn't.  
Not enough shooting, not enough size...   rotation is really about 8 guys....  but I do think there is enough talent on the roster, that they should be competitive with a chance to win most nights.

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:28 PM

Or better said... it would be unfair to Willard to pretend this team has plus talent, but I do think there is enough talent where making the tournament is a reasonable goal.

#95 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:36 PM

If Hart is playing pro next year it will be in Uzbekistan or somewhere like that. He's pretty terrible.

Scott is decent and I'd love to have him as a 6th man on a good team.

I've made my feelings known several times on Reese, though again I do think he isn't served well by being the only big.

If Carey can shoot I agree he's a player...but so far he can't shoot.

Young has been very hit-or-miss, but in these 2 blowout losses he's played about as bad as I've seen a MD point guard play.

Add that to pretty much no bench...when you have blowout losses like these it's both the roster and coaching, but for now I lean more towards the former.

#96 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:37 PM

Every ounce of Willard good will from pressers thru the 7-0 start is now spent. It's still a free year but these two ridiculous losses have squandered any ahead-of-schedule positivity.
  • You Play to Win the Game, glenn__davis and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#97 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:46 PM

The big knock against Turgeon was that his team's never improved as the season went on and the players never really improved. What you got their first day on campus is basically what you got.

So far Williard hasn't seemed to help improve Turgeon's guys.

#98 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:49 PM

The big knock against Turgeon was that his team's never improved as the season went on and the players never really improved. What you got their first day on campus is basically what you got.

So far Williard hasn't seemed to help improve Turgeon's guys.

This sort of no-show usually feels more like lack of player responsibility than coaching to me. It's not like we got out-schemed against UCLA or today. I barely got to see any of this game, but UCLA they completely didn't even show up. Even every pass around the top of the key was soft and weak with no intent. That's as much players as coaching. Coaches job to get the top players to buy in and those players' job to get the rest of the squad

I bought the "completely mentally exhausted" excuse after UCLA but it's not only BS for today but today negates it as a viable explanation for that game as well.

#99 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 06:53 PM

This sort of no-show usually feels more like lack of player responsibility than coaching to me. It's not like we got out-schemed against UCLA or today. I barely got to see any of this game, but UCLA they completely didn't even show up. Even every pass around the top of the key was soft and weak with no intent. That's as much players as coaching. Coaches job to get the top players to buy in and those players' job to get the rest of the squad.

I didn't watch a single minute of either game, but if it's just a total lack of effort or focus on the players behalf, that's not a great sign for Willard's tenure in his 9th, 10th or whatever game it was.

#100 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 01 January 2023 - 07:02 PM

Postgame from Willard: "This was a total failure by me to try to get a team somewhat ready. I don't think there's anything I can say besides I totally let down this program and these kids so this is on me this is a total, total failure… I don't know. I might tear everybody down after this. They just can't come out play like that."
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=