#21 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 December 2022 - 10:03 PM

I'm not a fan of this move. I didn't see a need for Lyles or a replacement for him. I did see a need for a clear and significant upgrade over Lyles, which this is not it. 

But hey, maybe we'll get 2021 or 2018 Gibson.

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 07:47 AM

I'm not a fan of this move. I didn't see a need for Lyles or a replacement for him. I did see a need for a clear and significant upgrade over Lyles, which this is not it.

But hey, maybe we'll get 2021 or 2018 Gibson.

Yeah, it's disappointing that the won't sign two mid-rotation or better guys. But in another way it's encouraging they likely will sign two guys, because I refuse to accept that Gibson would be the only rotation move. That'd be very depressing and a catastrophe of an off-season.

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:21 AM

From Ken Rosenthal via MLBTR. This is...different...than the things we heard in the past.

• Kyle Gibson agreed to a one-year deal with the Orioles, and The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal reports that Gibson turned down a similar offer from an unknown team.  Baltimore’s offer was preferable to Gibson because of the Orioles’ strong infield defense, the more pitcher-friendly left-field dimensions at Camden Yards, and the chance to work with catcher Adley Rutschman.

• BSLChrisStoner, mweb08, BobPhelan and 2 others like this

#24 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:46 AM

That’s awesome that they’re no longer using confederate money. Hopefully they use some of the real stuff.

#25 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:49 AM

Yeah, it’s not time to celebrate those things in a Kyle Gibson signing. Sorry. When Bassitt or Rodin or a real talent actually comes here and cites those reasons, that’ll feel good. Gibson is no different than any other pitcher from the outside they’ve brought in the last 10-15 years.
  • BaltBird 24 and DuffMan like this

#26 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:22 AM

Yeah, it’s not time to celebrate those things in a Kyle Gibson signing. Sorry. When Bassitt or Rodin or a real talent actually comes here and cites those reasons, that’ll feel good. Gibson is no different than any other pitcher from the outside they’ve brought in the last 10-15 years.

Gibson is probably nothing but I still think it's a positive sign, small as it may be. Most pitchers recently sign with the O's in like February or March when there's basically no other place to go, I believe that was true of all of Cobb, Cashner, Ubaldo, and Gallardo. Lyles I think agreed to terms early before the lockout but the lockout was a weird situation IMO.

#27 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 December 2022 - 11:38 AM

I think Gibson has a chance to be a decent starter for the Orioles, but I look upon his acquisition as nothing more than a start.  Show me something Orioles.  Land a starter who fits in at the top of the rotation and an impact bat and I am happy

@mikeghg

#28 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:42 PM

1/$10M, per Roch tweet.

https://twitter.com/...940860489404422

• BobPhelan likes this

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:47 PM

Well that answers my question.

Who might they have gotten as a secondary starter if they were willing to spend the $10m Lyles would have gotten (minus the buyout)?

I'm not sure if I should be pleased they were willing to drop $10M on a Jordan Lyles clone, or disappointed that they didn't simply keep Jordan Lyles for $10M (and have the ability to trade him).

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:55 PM

Well that answers my question.

I'm not sure if I should be pleased they were willing to drop $10M on a Jordan Lyles clone, or disappointed that they didn't simply keep Jordan Lyles for $10M (and have the ability to trade him).

The last bit is the key for me.

I won't argue with Elias for Lyles over Gibson. If he thinks Gibson is a better option for 2023 on the mound and in the clubhouse I'm fine with that. But I don't like locking in a rotation spot with Lyles or Gibson and limiting our ability to improve further. Lyles as an in-pocket backup plan able to be traded later while we look for two better SP to add is my strong preference over Gibson as the #5 while we look for one more SP to add.

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:59 PM

Thats fine until you get stuck with Lyles. 

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:04 PM

Thats fine until you get stuck with Lyles.

Not unless he blows his arm out in the off-season. May have to eat a little salary, but he's movable. We'll see what he signs for. That's the max amount of salary we'd have had to eat. I'd have been content paying for that insurance if need be. Not like the money matters at all. Ideally you just go with mweb's plan of getting two better guys without the iffy #5 guy.

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:18 PM

I think Gibson has a decent bit more upside than Lyles but your plan likely works. I do think youd have to eat some salary but maybe not.

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:19 PM

Starting pitchers feel like one of those things you just collect as many good/capable ones as you can, then figure out what to do with them all later. Seems like there's usually not a lack of teams that find themselves in need of a reliable one coming out of ST, even if as mackus says you have to eat some of the salary.

#35 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:55 AM

Roch is saying Gibson got 10 M for next year.  So much for getting a cheaper version of Lyles.

@mikeghg

#36 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:29 AM

Not cheaper, just better. But he wasn’t my preference either.
  • Mike B likes this

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:37 AM

Not cheaper, just better. But he wasn’t my preference either.

I kind of like Gibson a little, but 10 M, wow.

@mikeghg

#38 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 11:41 AM

Now imagine my response when people were bitching about not picking up the option on the lesser arm in Lyles.

• BobPhelan likes this

#39 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 03:45 PM

Seems pretty average deal for a guy who could be league average or better and eat innings. I like Gibson, just wish he were younger.

#40 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 December 2022 - 03:57 PM

There's nothing wrong with the contract, what is wrong is that they decided to make this type of move a priority when it shouldn't happen at all imo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=