she/her

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:43 PM

I'd have preferred Lyles since we know he's a good clubhouse guy, but I imagine they think similarly of Gibson or at least that he's not a problem.

This should guarantee they are adding two SP which is good. Hopefully the other guy is a lot closer to the Burnes or Rodon side of the scale and not the Gibson or Lyles side.

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:45 PM

Yup the Lyles replacement. You guys beat me to it. Surely cheaper. A bit more upside with Gibson IMO

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:47 PM

Who knows maybe they have a 3rd SP up their sleeve and are working on a deal to trade Bradish or Kremer

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 01:12 PM

Who knows maybe they have a 3rd SP up their sleeve and are working on a deal to trade Bradish or Kremer

Under :)
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2022 - 01:24 PM

Awesome. We did it guys!

#8 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 01:59 PM

This should just about sure up the AL East crown.

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2022 - 02:21 PM

This should just about sure up the AL East crown.

He won’t even make a postseason roster IMO.

#10 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 December 2022 - 03:34 PM

I'm comfortable waiting to see consequences of this wrt to other things, so I reserve the right to modify this comment....

...but in a vacuum, WTH.

We signed a 35-year old RHer to a guaranteed ML deal that had an OPS+ of 80-something since 2018 short of 19 starts in Texas in 2021.

Today, he's not better than anyone currently projected in the rotation.  If he threw with his left arm, at least there's be something modest to hold onto there (bridge back to Means, leverage LF).

I don't hate the guy or anything and there's certainly times and conditions that could make some sense...he's the the type of filler you leverage while you're building up the minors to help create modest opportunity....but today?...he's not better than Wells, Bradish, Kremer, Voth or GRod.  I wouldn't start him over any of those guys.  I wouldn't want him over Lyles....why would the money matter?

#11 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 05:24 PM

...he's not better than Wells, Bradish, Kremer, Voth or GRod. I wouldn't start him over any of those guys. I wouldn't want him over Lyles....why would the money matter?

Agree with the Lyles take. Not sure Gibson is better and it doesn't/shouldn't matter if he's a little cheaper.

But the "other guys" take is irrelevant since you don't have to choose. You get all of them. Easier to cover 30+ starts with Lyles or Gibson + all the guys you mentioned than just with all the guys.

Still, I wish we were doing better than Lyles/Gibson. It's passable as the 2nd addition to the rotation, but only just barely.

#12 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 December 2022 - 05:38 PM

He’s a better version of Lyles and anecdotally it sounds like he is well liked. Looking at his statcast page he is pretty similar to Lyles except the same or better in every category plus he’s a groundball pitcher. Wouldn’t have been the SP2 that I would’ve gone with but I’m fine with it depending on getting SP1.

Remember he was great with Texas in 2021 and had the Phillies terrible defense behind him last season.

#13 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2022 - 06:09 PM

For the innings eating aspect

Gibson threw 90 or more pitches in 18 of 31 starts last year (58%)

Lyles threw 90 or more pitches in 23 of 32 starts last year (72%)

she/her

#14 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 06:46 PM

I'd feel better if he were a February signing and we only needed a somewhat reliable arm to take the ball every fifth day. If they wanted that guy, rather it just he Lyles.

Maybe the analytic crew saw something, but at 35 I doubt you'll teach him many more new tricks.

#15 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 06:48 PM

For the innings eating aspect

Gibson threw 90 or more pitches in 18 of 31 starts last year (58%)

Lyles threw 90 or more pitches in 23 of 32 starts last year (72%)

Lyles 6+ innings in 14/32 starts, overall 5.59 inn/start.

Gibson 6+ innings in 16/31 starts, overall 5.41 inn/start.

High pitch count isn't all that meaningful IMO.

Anyway, I'd rather the innings get eaten by better pitchers. We'll see if Gibson is one of them. I didn't really want Lyles back, he does seem better than Lyles marginally, but hopefully they get someone better as well.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 06:53 PM

He’s a better version of Lyles and anecdotally it sounds like he is well liked. Looking at his statcast page he is pretty similar to Lyles except the same or better in every category plus he’s a groundball pitcher. Wouldn’t have been the SP2 that I would’ve gone with but I’m fine with it depending on getting SP1.

Remember he was great with Texas in 2021 and had the Phillies terrible defense behind him last season.

Id surely bet on him being a better version of Lyles. Even with the added age. Marginal but some fans were bitching about letting Lyles go for 10 mil and Im betting this deal is less.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 06:55 PM

I'd feel better if he were a February signing and we only needed a somewhat reliable arm to take the ball every fifth day. If they wanted that guy, rather it just he Lyles.

Maybe the analytic crew saw something, but at 35 I doubt you'll teach him many more new tricks.

He likely wouldnt be there in Feb. This isnt 2021 where we had a lockout. Multiple other guys similar to Lyles have been signed already too

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:28 PM

I am fine as long it is not all.  It looks like a 5 M deal and I think he is slightly better than Lyles.  What’s next?

@mikeghg

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:32 PM

Bryan Reynolds. We dont need him with Ced but if the Pirates were interested in a swap of guys with 3 years left Id take the better offensive player. Throw in a bit more. Then Pitt could take offers on Ced

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:43 PM

I am fine as long it is not all.  It looks like a 5 M deal and I think he is slightly better than Lyles.  What’s next?

Maybe overthinking it, but even if he's only the #2 addition to the rotation, that price tag tells me there ain't gonna be much rocket fuel for this liftoff. Who might they have gotten as a secondary starter if they were willing to spend the $10m Lyles would have gotten (minus the buyout)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=