85 replies to this topic

#21 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,013 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:01 AM

I wish we had a better idea of how good Urias can be at 2b defensively. Thats what youre looking to improve upon IMO. No need to sign or trade for a guy who isnt better than Ramon

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:16 AM

No need for Swanson considering what we have internally

I'm good with all the youth I have in the everyday lineup above .. but I'd like another vet.  Swanson looks the most obtainable to me of the 4 SS's, and I think would add further depth to the lineup.  I like Henderson at 3rd better than SS, and I'm not worried about blocking Ortiz. Holiday could move quickly, but I wouldn't not make a move because of him. 

• Mike B likes this

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:19 AM

Give me Swanson and Rodon.

Rodon, Rodriguez, Kremer, Wells, Bradish

Mullins CF
Rutschman C
Henderson 3rd
Santander DH
Mountcastle 1st
Swanson SS
Stowers RF
Westburg 2nd
Hays LF

Backup C, Mateo, Urias, McKenna

Have depth during the year to make a trade for another SP or power bat if needed.

I think that's a 90+ win team, with room to grow...   you have the depth for additional in-season moves if need be...   you could also have Hall, and Means factoring at some point...    Mateo, Urias, and McKenna can get time and be a strong bench. 

Swanson and Rodon should be obtainable targets. 

• Mackus likes this

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,013 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:21 AM

I'm good with all the youth I have in the everyday lineup above .. but I'd like another vet.  Swanson looks the most obtainable to me of the 4 SS's, and I think would add further depth to the lineup.  I like Henderson at 3rd better than SS, and I'm not worried about blocking Ortiz. Holiday could move quickly, but I wouldn't not make a move because of him. 

Better off with internal options at SS even with Gunnar at 3b which I agree is his best spot. Now, if they want to pursue Correa, Bogaerts or Turner then the offense is worth it. Dont expect that to happen. Swanson doesnt bring enough. Focus improving the offense at the corner spots on the field 1b, LF, RF,  and DH. 

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:23 AM

I'll pass on Swanson, he's not enough of an upgrade to chase a career year.  I'd just spend the extra and get one of the better guys.

I do like the idea of Rodon.  He'll be very expensive (5/$150M?), but two straight great years even if not very many innings.  

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,013 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:24 AM

BTW just Googled Swanson. Sounds like he and Braves are already working on an extension. Considering he is also a Georgia boy I dont expect him to hit FA

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,013 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:25 AM

I think that's a 90+ win team, with room to grow...   you have the depth for additional in-season moves if need be...   you could also have Hall, and Means factoring at some point...    Mateo, Urias, and McKenna can get time and be a strong bench. 

Swanson and Rodon should be obtainable targets. 

That offense you listed isnt good enough IMO. Also 1 too many RH hitters.for me

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,013 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:28 AM

Mateo has to be the SS or you trade him. Coming off the bench isnt going to be ideal IMO.  Im pretty sure thats the OD SS and if he regresses then you have Ortiz or Westburg waiting in the wings. I expect 1 to be traded. Not both. Have to find an external LH hitter. At least 1. I prefer two.

• BobPhelan and mdrunning like this

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:32 AM

I'll pass on Swanson, he's not enough of an upgrade to chase a career year.  I'd just spend the extra and get one of the better guys.

I do like the idea of Rodon.  He'll be very expensive (5/$150M?), but two straight great years even if not very many innings.  

Swanson's '21 had a better BB%, K%, ISO...    his average, and obp is up this year...  his hard hit, and barrel %'s are very strong, he runs well, and his defense has been elite this year. 

He turned 28 in June...  he played 160 games last year, has played 140 this year. 

The other SS's are going to be more coveted.   

My feeling is if you targeted Swanson, you could swoop in immediately and get a very solid regular. 

I'd rather have him at 6 $150M than Correa at 10 $300M. 

5/$150 for Rodon also sounds reasonable... so tick on a bit more, be aggressive and get it done.

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:36 AM

BTW just Googled Swanson. Sounds like he and Braves are already working on an extension. Considering he is also a Georgia boy I dont expect him to hit FA

I love what the Braves have done locking guys up.  We're going to discuss that on The Warehouse this week, and talk about the O's strategy with that going forward. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,013 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:38 AM

Have to call Miami and see how well we match up. Their offense is putrid. They have a lot of pitching. We have a surplus of bats whether its young guys on the cusp ( Stowers, Westburg, Ortiz, Norby Cowser) or more proven guys like Mountcastle,Santander, Hays or Urias. Or a combo of both . Pablo Lopez is my top target for our big pitching acquisition. In addition to another mid tier FA like Kluber . If not Lopez Id still be interested in guys like Rogers, Luzardo, Cabrera

#32 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:16 AM

Mateo has to be the SS or you trade him. Coming off the bench isnt going to be ideal IMO.  Im pretty sure thats the OD SS and if he regresses then you have Ortiz or Westburg waiting in the wings. I expect 1 to be traded. Not both. Have to find an external LH hitter. At least 1. I prefer two.

I agree but I think I'd rather trade him. I don't buy that the bat will ever be good enough. More likely they trade Urias, start Mateo at SS, he gets taken over at some point and becomes a valuable bench piece.

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:30 AM

Swanson's '21 had a better BB%, K%, ISO...    his average, and obp is up this year...  his hard hit, and barrel %'s are very strong, he runs well, and his defense has been elite this year. 

He turned 28 in June...  he played 160 games last year, has played 140 this year. 

The other SS's are going to be more coveted.   

My feeling is if you targeted Swanson, you could swoop in immediately and get a very solid regular. 

I'd rather have him at 6 $150M than Correa at 10 $300M. 

He's not really on my radar.  If I can't get Seager, Correa, Turner or Bogaerts (my current preferred order, but happy with any) then I'm rolling with Mateo at SS and adding offense elsewhere.  Surely I'd take Swanson over doing nothing, but I think there are better uses of the resources.  Would rather have any of the other (I'd argue better) SS for +/- $30M a year for 7-10 years depending on the guy than Swanson for 6 @$25M.  

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:33 AM

I love what the Braves have done locking guys up.  We're going to discuss that on The Warehouse this week, and talk about the O's strategy with that going forward. 

Same. They have what, three or four young players signed through 2030 at least? 

Take notes O's.

@BSLMikeRandall

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:53 AM

I also have no issue with having competition at some spots. For instance Hays, Stowers, and maybe Vavra can compete for time at one spot while providing additional depth. Even Mountcastle can be someone that starts vs lefties and competes for ABs against righties.

Now if Mountcastle and/or Hays have strong trade value, then that would probably make more sense.

This applies to the infield as well with all the young guys plus Mateo and Urias.

#36 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 September 2022 - 10:48 AM

Give me Swanson and Rodon.

Rodon, Rodriguez, Kremer, Wells, Bradish

Mullins CF
Rutschman C
Henderson 3rd
Santander DH
Mountcastle 1st
Swanson SS
Stowers RF
Westburg 2nd
Hays LF

Backup C, Mateo, Urias, McKenna

Have depth during the year to make a trade for another SP or power bat if needed.

I think we have the versatility to go a couple of different ways.  I do not think Swanson gets out of Atlanta, and I am not sure Camden Yards would be good for his numbers, but his fiery manner and clutch hitting, not to mention his defense would be fun to watch.  I think we could use a veteran bat, whether it be in the infield or outfield.  Preferably left handed.  If it is a third baseman, then play Gunnar at short.

I like the idea or Rodon or a Chris Bassit type, for the rotation.

@mikeghg

#37 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 12 September 2022 - 02:10 PM

But Ohtani can become a free agent after 2023. That's a lot to give up for what would figure to be a one-year rental.

He'll get us a comp pick, we have the luxury of trading Mountcastle or Santander once we pick him up, and he's going to be paid like 30 million in arbitration while providing 70-100 million on free agent value and allowing us to carry an extra reliever if we need to. That package of prospects is probably worth 100-110 million in surplus value, but it won't be realized until 2024 at the earliest for the most part. If we believe in our player development then it will be a temporary hiccup in exchange for a player that instantly takes us from an 81-85 win team to a 89-93 win team in 2023.

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 02:18 PM

If we believe in our Player Development... it's a temporary hiccup to give up all those years of team control for 1 year for Ohtani and a comp pick? That feels like a stretch. 

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 02:24 PM

I'd just about trade whatever anyone can dream up for Ohtani with an extension, but not giving up a similar package as a rental.  

• JStruds likes this

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 02:27 PM

Another thing to think about is what type of team are we on paper right now as a baseline for 2023?  I absolutely do not think that we can consider this year's win total as the baseline for this roster next year.  If we run back the same group, I'd probably assume something in the low 70s, not the low 80s or better.  We need to improve the team just to be able to match this year's win total, need to improve a lot more to beat it.  This is especially true of the pitching staff, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=