NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 09:40 PM

Obviously.

Discuss.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#2 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 September 2022 - 09:49 PM

Is this your way of calling out 2035? Lol

But yeah, it's concerning.

2 offensive upgrades should be on the shopping list this off-season. IF (one of 2B, SS, or 3B), 1B, and corner OF are the potential positions to do so.
  • Mike B likes this

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 09:52 PM

Add one of the FA SS's.

Full years of Rutschman and Henderson.

Improvement at 2nd with Westburg.

Run it back with Mountcastle. Expect a rebound.

Run it back with Hays. Replace with Cowser by midseason if you aren't getting enough.

Santander largely at DH. Rotates to the OF corners.

Stowers in RF.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 September 2022 - 09:54 PM

I think people need to reel in their expectations of the kind of FA’s they’re going to bring in. With the news of Elias having full control explicitly written in his contract, that means he’s handed a budget. I refuse to believe it’s going to change much until it actually happens.

This offense does need help. Prospects are cool and all, but it’s easy to forget that there’s an integration period in the bigs and a lot of them don’t make it.

I hope he’s given an ample budget moving forward, now that it’s liftoff.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 09:56 PM

Is this your way of calling out 2035? Lol

But yeah, it's concerning.

2 offensive upgrades should be on the shopping list this off-season. IF (one of 2B, SS, or 3B), 1B, and corner OF are the potential positions to do so.

I didnt realize I was getting to him that much. We couldve kept this going in game threads. Didnt need its own thread. I mean when you specifically say we are going to be a bottom 5 offense and we arent its pretty easy to keep winning. When you say "OK" its easier to get away from being locked in. Its subjective. Though Ill note I said around 20th which not many people wouldve agreed with in April. 19th in runs scored. 23rd in OPS

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 September 2022 - 10:01 PM

Add one of the FA SS's.

Full years of Rutschman and Henderson.

Improvement at 2nd with Westburg.

Run it back with Mountcastle. Expect a rebound.

Run it back with Hays. Replace with Cowser by midseason if you aren't getting enough.

Santander largely at DH. Rotates to the OF corners.

Stowers in RF.

This is fine if they make a huge investment in pitching.

If not, they should do better than 1 acquisition and hopeful internal improvement imo.

I think 1B is the position I'm most interested in upgrading though without consideration to what's available. I don't love Mountcastle, and unlike the rest of the infield and corner OF, there aren't other enticing options at 1B.

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 10:03 PM

I think people need to reel in their expectations of the kind of FA’s they’re going to bring in. With the news of Elias having full control explicitly written in his contract, that means he’s handed a budget. I refuse to believe it’s going to change much until it actually happens.

This offense does need help. Prospects are cool and all, but it’s easy to forget that there’s an integration period in the bigs and a lot of them don’t make it.

I hope he’s given an ample budget moving forward, now that it’s liftoff.

I think it will go to 60-75 mil this year. Thats current player budget. Not taking in any deferred money. They arent going to go get one of the top SS's. They will shop in the next tier or two down. Trade market will be hopping too . I dont want to start more than 2 rookies. Gunnar will be one. The other is either going to be Stowers in a corner OF spot or Ortiz/Westburg at 2b.

Mullins
Rutsch
Gunnar
Santander

Thats a quality start. Mateo will be at the bottom of the lineup. Have to figure out the other 4 spots. One spot can go to Stowers/Westburg. Not both. One spot can go to Mount/Hays. Not both. So yeah fill in 2 spots in the offense through FA or trade. Preferably LH or switch hitters who can hit for avg and get on base. I think Brantley is a good target to split time in the OF/DH with Santander
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 10:24 PM

Give me Swanson and Rodon.

Rodon, Rodriguez, Kremer, Wells, Bradish

Mullins CF
Rutschman C
Henderson 3rd
Santander DH
Mountcastle 1st
Swanson SS
Stowers RF
Westburg 2nd
Hays LF

Backup C, Mateo, Urias, McKenna

Have depth during the year to make a trade for another SP or power bat if needed.

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 10:33 PM

No need for Swanson considering what we have internally

• BobPhelan likes this

#10 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 10:57 PM

As someone mentioned on another forum, this is a good, young team, but it needs its Frank Robinson. 

A good starter would be nice, but even league average starters tend to be very expensive. Maybe some of those surplus outfield and middle infield prospects could land one in a trade.

I'm just generalizing here; I actually haven't looked at who might be available by either means.

• Greg Pappas and Mike B like this

#11 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 11:25 PM

As someone mentioned on another forum, this is a good, young team, but it needs its Frank Robinson. 

A good starter would be nice, but even league average starters tend to be very expensive. Maybe some of those surplus outfield and middle infield prospects could land one in a trade.

I'm just generalizing here; I actually haven't looked at who might be available by either means.

Agreed. They need a .280/.380.480 guy on a 5 year deal.

The JDM contract Boston lucked into, if you will. 

#12 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 12 September 2022 - 12:29 AM

Agreed. They need a .280/.380.480 guy on a 5 year deal.

The JDM contract Boston lucked into, if you will.

I'm still on the Shohei train. Trade Mountcastle, Santander becomes 1B, and we have a .950 OPS DH and a top of rotation starter. If we have to trade Hall, Cowser, Westburg, Mayo for him I'm okay with that. If they want Hays instead of one of the prospectd I'm also okay with that.

#13 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 12:35 AM

I'm still on the Shohei train. Trade Mountcastle, Santander becomes 1B, and we have a .950 OPS DH and a top of rotation starter. If we have to trade Hall, Cowser, Westburg, Mayo for him I'm okay with that. If they want Hays instead of one of the prospectd I'm also okay with that.

But Ohtani can become a free agent after 2023. That's a lot to give up for what would figure to be a one-year rental.

#14 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:39 AM

Odor on a 1 year contract!?

Kidding even I can't say that with a straight face.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#15 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:41 AM

I'd much rather do Gunnar 3B/Mateo SS/free agent at 2B and with the infield set, see what kind of pitching you can bring back in a trade by including one or both of Westburg/Norby 

she/her

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:44 AM

Obviously.

Discuss.

The offense is ok.  The offense is not good.  21st in runs scored, 20th in wRC+, 24th in OPS.  Below average but above the very bottom.  Even over the past month when it feels like its stunk its been 18th in runs (not normalized for # of games), 24th in wRC+, 24th in OPS.

Expectations for the offenese have more or less been met.  The issue is that defense and especially starting pitching and relief pitching all vastly exceeded expectations to the point that the team is actually good.

In whatever order of priority, Odor, Hays, Mateo, and Mountcastle could be improved upon via external (or possibly internal) additions.  I think Mullins, Rutschman, Henderson, Santander, and Stowers are pretty well penciled in for at least the heavy side of a platoon if not obvious everyday playing.

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:48 AM

Gunnar, Adley, Mateo, Mullins and Urias are the only position players I’d lock in for next year. 

I’d add Stowers in there too. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:50 AM

The offense is ok. The offense is not good. 21st in runs scored, 20th in wRC+, 24th in OPS. Below average but above the very bottom. Even over the past month when it feels like its stunk its been 18th in runs (not normalized for # of games), 24th in wRC+, 24th in OPS.

Expectations for the offenese have more or less been met. The issue is that defense and especially starting pitching and relief pitching all vastly exceeded expectations to the point that the team is actually good.

In whatever order of priority, Odor, Hays, Mateo, and Mountcastle could be improved upon via external (or possibly internal) additions. I think Mullins, Rutschman, Henderson, Santander, and Stowers are pretty well penciled in for at least the heavy side of a platoon if not obvious everyday playing.

Stowers will be interesting. If they move on from Hays he surely stays and starts. No hard and fast rules but I really dont like the idea of breaking camp with 3 rookies as regulars. I think 1 will likely have to be at 2b. The FA 2b pool is bad and the trade market not much better. Im intrigued by Jazz Chisolm but thats pretty much it. Think we will have to start Westburg/Ortiz there or move Urias there.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:57 AM

I'd much rather do Gunnar 3B/Mateo SS/free agent at 2B and with the infield set, see what kind of pitching you can bring back in a trade by including one or both of Westburg/Norby 

Other than signing and shifting Turner (an idea I love but feels far-fetched), there isn't much in the way of free agent 2B.  Not really anyone who looks poised to get big multi-year deals so maybe you're just bridging for a few months to Westburg.  Josh Harrison or Jean Segura could work.  Both have team options, but I think they get declined.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:58 AM

Segura would be ok if he isnt back in Philly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=