#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:17 AM

It feels like something teams do in spring training or early in the season.  I think this move came from above Hyde.  I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish.  Just use Wells out of the pen.  There is not enough time left in the season to get him ramped up to starter level.

• DuffMan likes this
@mikeghg

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:17 AM

Just win, don't give a damn how.

• Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#23 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:29 AM

Maybe Hyde is outsmarting himself?
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:35 AM

Maybe Wells starts to plunk Vlad, then hands it to Kremer, lol. (Not advocating this)

#25 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:38 AM

This is something you do when your our 30 games under .500 not 3.5 out of a WC spot

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:47 AM

This is something you do when your our 30 games under .500 not 3.5 out of a WC spot

I mean I disagree with the strategy but its clearly being done because they (Hyde et al) think this gives them the best chance to win today.  No part of this is to optimize Wells' development or for any objective other than winning today.  I question their decision here but not their intent.

• BobPhelan likes this

#27 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:47 AM

Only explanation I can think of is they want a very predictable warmup time for Wells coming back from injury and so they'll start him and let him go 1-2 innings then Kremer follows because he is more able to handle if his warmup routine will be a bit more unpredictable?

Seems like a bad idea to me. Just start Kremer. Only use Wells if necessary.

Perhaps they think its a foregone conclusion they will have to use Wells tonight so this is the most effective overall approach?

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:48 AM

If I were the team leaders, I’d be imploring the clubhouse today to just wait til the last series. Even if we get hit, or they try to taunt us, just wait til the last series. They’ve worked way too hard and overcome way too much to get half the team suspended for solely brute nonsense. But I can only imagine, they feel like they have to draw the line somewhere.

#29 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:57 AM

Baker's pitched the last two days, so he's probably unavailable tonight, and Tate, Perez, and Bautista all went more than an inning yesterday, with Tate throwing 30 pitches and Bautista 25.  So the bullpen's fairly depleted.  They're probably hoping that Wells can go 2-3 lower leverage innings on a pitch count, and then Kremer can go 5 or so.  

• mdrunning likes this

#30 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 September 2022 - 12:32 PM

Baker's pitched the last two days, so he's probably unavailable tonight, and Tate, Perez, and Bautista all went more than an inning yesterday, with Tate throwing 30 pitches and Bautista 25.  So the bullpen's fairly depleted.  They're probably hoping that Wells can go 2-3 lower leverage innings on a pitch count, and then Kremer can go 5 or so.  

Yea, I guess maybe the feel there is less pressure to have Wells lead off, and hopefully get a few innings out of him, then to put him into a close game with guys on base.

Both BP/s are empty but Toronto has Romano fresh.  

Find a way Orioles.

@mikeghg

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 12:35 PM

Yea, I guess maybe the feel there is less pressure to have Wells lead off, and hopefully get a few innings out of him, then to put him into a close game with guys on base.

Both BP/s are empty but Toronto has Romano fresh.  

Find a way Orioles.

Whether its Wells/Kremer or Kremer/Wells, I would expect that if the first guy gets in a jam and has to be pulled, that its a more traditional RP coming in to escape the jam and then the second SP type guy starts the subsequent inning fresh and clean.  Guess it depends on when the trouble comes, if its right before the 2nd guy comes in anyways then maybe they enter the bloody fray.

#32 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 12:54 PM

I guess the thinking is "Wells was our best pitcher when he got hurt and now we have him back, BOOM, we're gonna use him. And have our second best pitcher right behind him."

I mean I get the strategy if that is it, but Wells hasn't pitched in over a month and wasn't that good before he got hurt.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 01:09 PM

If I were the team leaders, I’d be imploring the clubhouse today to just wait til the last series. Even if we get hit, or they try to taunt us, just wait til the last series. They’ve worked way too hard and overcome way too much to get half the team suspended for solely brute nonsense. But I can only imagine, they feel like they have to draw the line somewhere.

Our guys arent throwing at anyone tonight. Manoah though. I expect it. Especially if we get to him a bit

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 September 2022 - 01:12 PM

Our guys arent throwing at anyone tonight. Manoah though. I expect it. Especially if we get to him a bit

I would expect they’ve talked through the scenarios today and have a plan for how to handle it. Too much on the line. Wait til the final weekend. No way this is just going away though. But at the same time, it hasn’t helped that the umpires have had both teams running hot this series too.
  • dude likes this

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 01:15 PM

I think its a combo of somw things you guys hit on. Predictable start time and warm up for Wells. You dont know how far Kremer will go. You do know how long Wells we go. Wherever the pitch count is at. Also the potential for following Kremer to be high leverage vs starting not being high leverage. So I get it in this sense. Especially with a taxed BP. I mean Cano and Reed are fresh but they seemingly wont want to use either in high to med lev situations

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 01:20 PM

I would expect they’ve talked through the scenarios today and have a plan for how to handle it. Too much on the line. Wait til the final weekend. No way this is just going away though. But at the same time, it hasn’t helped that the umpires have had both teams running hot this series too.

Good point about the umps impact on both teams. Listening to Baker, it sounded like he took a little bit of the blame. Maybe too emotional. Then he said he heard Hernandez talking so if thats the case I dont blame him for talking back. Hyde said he didnt hear the Tor dugout chirping so maybe it was just Hernandez. Or he said something after the DP going back to the bench. I didnt listen to Tor postgame to get their perspective. But F them. Asshats.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#37 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 02:14 PM

Mullins CF
Rutschman C
Santander RF
Mountcastle 1st
Henderson DH
Stowers LF

Urias 3rd

Odor 2nd
Mateo SS

#38 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 02:16 PM

Hays still brings the defense and arm so IM a little nervous that he is sitting. 

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 September 2022 - 02:37 PM

Mullins CF
Rutschman C
Santander RF
Mountcastle 1st
Henderson DH
Stowers LF

Urias 3rd

Odor 2nd
Mateo SS

I am not a fan of Henderson DHing.  I know he had a tough double header not being able to complete DP's, but what did we expect putting him at second after one week OJT in the minors.   Give the guy one glove (3B) and let him play.

@mikeghg

#40 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 03:06 PM

I am not a fan of Henderson DHing.  I know he had a tough double header not being able to complete DP's, but what did we expect putting him at second after one week OJT in the minors.   Give the guy one glove (3B) and let him play.

But then you'd have to bench Odor, and he punched Jose Bautista (I suppose that tonight you could bench Urias).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=