#201 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:14 PM

Hope Lyles is feeling better.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#202 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:15 PM

Some guys arent ready. You see why Hyde prefers to roll with vets. Henderson even as the #1 guy who has got off to a good start overall has had some shaky moments. Stowers has had some shaky moments in the OF too. It takes awhile to settle in. Sept in a pennant race only ratchets up the pressure

#203 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:15 PM

First game I’ve really been super frustrated with Hyde. He’s done a terrific job this year getting this team to buy in and believe. Terrific job. But some of his decisions lately have been head scratchers.

That said, it probably isn’t easy managing vets while integrating green rookies and trying to win, too.

But there’s no reason in a 1-run game, to be only thinking about the nightcap. That’s terrible. Way too conservative of an approach, and sends the wrong message. There is a small part of me that wonders if he really is a guy capable of winning it all, but he’s earned next year and I do think he deserves the success he’s found this season.

#204 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:17 PM

Now Hyde wants to start chirping. Lol.
@BSLMikeRandall

#205 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:18 PM

First game I’ve really been super frustrated with Hyde. He’s done a terrific job this year getting this team to buy in and believe. Terrific job. But some of his decisions lately have been head scratchers.

That said, it probably isn’t easy managing vets while integrating green rookies and trying to win, too.

But there’s no reason in a 1-run game, to be only thinking about the nightcap. That’s terrible. Way too conservative of an approach, and sends the wrong message. There is a small part of me that wonders if he really is a guy capable of winning it all, but he’s earned next year and I do think he deserves the success he’s found this season.

Yup next year is the test. Hes not bad but he might not be good enough either

#206 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:18 PM

Crazy good play by Adley there.

#207 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:19 PM

Crazy good play by Adley there.

Yeah it really was. Rocket quick turn, and the concentration to seamlessly field the short hop. Adley is just such a joy to watch play baseball. We have one. He’s insanely good.
  • dude likes this

#208 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:21 PM

That likely relagates Hall to mop up duty for the rest of the year and I dont think we can afford that. Have 3 lefties with Akin, Vespi, and Perez. Find someone else better. Send him out anf whether its Green who we just picked up or another arm at AAA get them up here

#209 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:21 PM

Some guys arent ready. You see why Hyde prefers to roll with vets. Henderson even as the #1 guy who has got off to a good start overall has had some shaky moments. Stowers has had some shaky moments in the OF too. It takes awhile to settle in. Sept in a pennant race only ratchets up the pressure

Hopefully the exposure to a playoff race so early in their careers pays off over the next few years.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#210 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:22 PM

No one said meh stuff but the narrative has been its elite stuff. If it were elite he could get away with just throwing it over the plate. Kinda like Bautista does. The command wouldnt matter much

He does have elite stuff. I think he is wearing down as he pushes his innings. Earlier this year he was sitting 97-98 and touching 100. Obviously the command is the big issue but this isn't the same guy I watched pitch through July this year.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#211 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:25 PM

He does have elite stuff. I think he is wearing down as he pushes his innings. Earlier this year he was sitting 97-98 and touching 100. Obviously the command is the big issue but this isn't the same guy I watched pitch through July this year.

I mean thats a tough sell even as someone who is both a fan of yours and as someone who never saw him throw in the minors. Other than highlight clips

#212 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:27 PM

He was on a fairly tight leash innings wise in the minors, wasn't he? If so, him wearing down is not giving me great confidence he can be a starter next year. Maybe it's wear AND nerves.

#213 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:27 PM

He was on a fairly tight leash innings wise in the minors, wasn't he? If so, him wearing down is not giving me great confidence he can be a starter next year. Maybe it's wear AND nerves.

He only had 30ish innings in 2021 after not pitching at all in 2020 (COVID), its not that surprising.

#214 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:30 PM

I mean thats a tough sell even as someone who is both a fan of yours and as someone who never saw him throw in the minors. Other than highlight clips

I've watched a ton of him, I'm confident saying he has elite stuff. But we'll see. Tough spot to break in for him, obviously a good "problem" to be in playing competitive games. Lets see how he looks in Spring Training with a full healthy offseason and some ML experience under his belt.

• makoman likes this

#215 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:31 PM

I agree. You don't put up the numbers he did without having elite stuff. At any level.

#216 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:33 PM

Trade him. Hes a RP. Ive said that for awhile now. Let someone else dream on him becoming Blake Snell 2018. 

#217 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:36 PM

He only had 30ish innings in 2021 after not pitching at all in 2020 (COVID), its not that surprising.

It isn't surprising. But looking ahead, if he's going to be a regular part of a 5 man rotation, can he throw 120+ innings without tiring next year? Maybe not, but the good news is by mid season we potentially could have 6-7 capable starters meaning he could get extra rest between starts if needed.

Edit. Hell, maybe more than 6-7 without taking trades/FA acquisitions into account. In no particular order: Rodriguez, Hall, Lyles, Voth, Kremer, Bradish, Wells and Means.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#218 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 September 2022 - 04:10 PM

I actually am ok with putting Hall out there in the 9th.

1. He has the stuff to just get past that inning. In this case he failed.

2. The way the bats were going good chance we don't come back anyway. Bottom of the order was due up.

3. Saving my top bullpen guys for a higher percentage shot in the night cap.

Normally I would put the best guy I had out there but in the case of this double header I don't think its a cut and dried decision.

• JStruds likes this

#219 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 September 2022 - 12:04 PM

https://twitter.com/...3bRtMD0yCQ&s=19

Ricker, here's that UmpScorecard, click and view at your own risk.

Spoiler it's as bad as you would think
  • You Play to Win the Game and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#220 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 04:51 PM

https://twitter.com/...3bRtMD0yCQ&s=19

Ricker, here's that UmpScorecard, click and view at your own risk.

Spoiler it's as bad as you would think

If this doesnt make an Os fan blood boil. And you can at least fix the inconsistency part of the problem. I apologize in advance but Im going off on the next I like umps calling the game post
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=