81 replies to this topic

#21 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 05:44 PM

Cant be much right. If McClean is slot that puts us over 16 mil no?

Yeah I think I had the 5% overage amount in my head when I said that.

I assume McClean is over slot as a sophomore who hasn’t signed yet. A couple of the other guys might be a little over 125k. Probably get close to the slot amount.

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 05:55 PM

They will spend their bonus allotment. Wont go over into the bonus. Mackus will will be pissed
  • BobPhelan likes this

#23 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:14 AM

They will spend their bonus allotment. Wont go over into the bonus. Mackus will will be pissed

We'll see what some other guys sign for.  McLean and Walters could still influence the bonus pool.  But at this point...does it feel like they picked absolutely everyone they wanted and simply dominated in negotiations or does this feel like they never intended to spend any of the extra $750k they can spend?  Trending towards looking like they could've added two more guys like Showalter in the late rounds.  Plenty of highly rated high schoolers were available.

Seems pretty clear to me that Elias isn't allowed to go into the 5% overage range.  I'm sure if something bizarre happens he could talk to them and dip his toes just over the line to get someone done (Duquette did it once or twice), but he isn't able to plan his draft from the outset as if that is money available for the team to use.  Its wildly cheap and insanely stupid from ownership, but hard to expect anything different from them.

#24 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:37 AM

We'll see what some other guys sign for.  McLean and Walters could still influence the bonus pool.  But at this point...does it feel like they picked absolutely everyone they wanted and simply dominated in negotiations or does this feel like they never intended to spend any of the extra $750k they can spend?  Trending towards looking like they could've added two more guys like Showalter in the late rounds.  Plenty of highly rated high schoolers were available.

Seems pretty clear to me that Elias isn't allowed to go into the 5% overage range.  I'm sure if something bizarre happens he could talk to them and dip his toes just over the line to get someone done (Duquette did it once or twice), but he isn't able to plan his draft from the outset as if that is money available for the team to use.  Its wildly cheap and insanely stupid from ownership, but hard to expect anything different from them.

Young seemed like he could cost a little money, maybe they expected to give him a couple hundred grand. 

Other than that, it seems like they were aiming for the pool amount as usual.

I am curious what McLean and Walters end up with assuming they sign.

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 July 2022 - 09:45 AM

Don't fret, all this saved money is surely being put into a future spending account.

#26 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 July 2022 - 12:13 PM

If we believe the draft tracker on mlb.com, McLean is the highest ranked of 3 guys not signed (all teams) across the top 10 rounds.

The Mets have a kid in the 3rd round too (waiting for Parada to sign so see what they had left?, Parada signed yesterday for over slot) 

The third kid is an OAK draftee in the 10th round.

Seems odd.  I like the pick but he's not some crazy ranked guy and the 2-way thing is interesting, but upside in the bullpen doesn't really seem like the thing you are holding out for.  That slot is just under 800k.  mlb.com had him at #115 and slot there is under 500k.

I assume it gets done.  3rd round is still compensated if it doesn't, right?

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 12:26 PM

Yep, 3rd round is compensated if he doesn't sign.

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 05:27 PM

Any rumors either way on our unsigned guys?

#29 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 05:36 PM

5 pm Monday edit is the deadline, you probably just looked it up and removed the question.

#30 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 July 2022 - 05:38 PM

Signing deadline is 5pm tomorrow (Monday 8/1)

Headline of mlb.com article today says Orioles signed 15 of 22, but if the info in the article is correct it's 17 of 22.

No bonuses are reported for signees 12, 13, 14, 16  

5 that haven't signed yet are....

3 (81): Nolan McLean, RHP, Oklahoma State (Pick value: $794,000)

15 (437): James Hicks Jr., RHP, University of South Carolina

17 (497): Carter Young, SS, Vanderbilt  (reportedly not signing)

18 (527): Andrew Walters, RHP, Miami

19 (557): Alden Mathes, OF, University of Richmond

#31 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:17 PM

I would be pretty disappointed if they didn't sign their 3rd rounder.

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:29 PM

I would be pretty disappointed if they didn't sign their 3rd rounder.

They get compensation if not so not a huge deal.

#33 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:16 PM

They get compensation if not so not a huge deal.

True, but you'd expect if they're taking someone that high that they have a good idea of what the negotiation will look like.

#34 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:27 PM

Yeah compensation or not it would be disappointing because somebody messed up somewhere if you weren't close enough to be able to get something done.

Of course it could definitely be the player's fault. See Colin Poche, who we beat last week, and apparently doubled his number or something after the draft. We may or may not find out about that kind of thing.

We have more than slot available so it would be surprising to miss on a guy who is not some obvious overslot pick.

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 07:31 PM

I would bet it gets done but yeah who knows whats going on behind the scenes. Maybe a medical thing or any other number of things. The compensation is great to have in your back pocket though

#36 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 July 2022 - 10:07 PM

Yeah compensation or not it would be disappointing because somebody messed up somewhere if you weren't close enough to be able to get something done.

Kind of related to this thread...but when you read that article on their daft signings, they have a blurb from Beavers that he didn't know anything about the Orioles other than "Cal Ripken".

That seems strange there there would be no communication between the Team and Player/Agent for a kid taken 1-33 overall with a 2+M SB.  There's so little communication the kid knows literally zero about the Organization.  Nobody expressed enough interest that he bothered to do any research at a tie when nothing is going on.  Not like he's working a job and you can't get to him.

#37 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 08:55 AM

Kind of related to this thread...but when you read that article on their daft signings, they have a blurb from Beavers that he didn't know anything about the Orioles other than "Cal Ripken".

That seems strange there there would be no communication between the Team and Player/Agent for a kid taken 1-33 overall with a 2+M SB.  There's so little communication the kid knows literally zero about the Organization.  Nobody expressed enough interest that he bothered to do any research at a tie when nothing is going on.  Not like he's working a job and you can't get to him.

I'm curious how all this actually works. 

I would imagine that a guy in pretty good demand like MLB's 22nd ranked prospect might have talked to 10 or more teams. "We like you at 23 [or 25, or 31] depending on who's there, how much would it take?" But then someone else they liked better is there, or they decided to go more underslot, or whatever. Then there's "We like you at 37, will you take slot?" or "We like you at 40 will you take #35 money?" But he never gets there. I might just say forget it and not do any research on a club till I'm drafted cause you never know what will happen on draft day. Or, sometimes you do hear that a guy never talked to the club that drafted them at all.

#38 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,563 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 August 2022 - 09:04 AM

Mathes and Walters are not signing.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#39 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 August 2022 - 09:25 AM

Mathes and Walters are not signing.

That is a little disappointing.   The 17th, 18th and 19 th round picks are not joining the organization.

• Greg Pappas likes this
@mikeghg

#40 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 August 2022 - 09:29 AM

By my count 17 picks signed,,,,3 not coming and 2 (Mclean-3 and Hicks-15) remains to be seen

• Greg Pappas likes this
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=