81 replies to this topic

#61 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 02:53 PM

There is something in Young they really like. Again, he was pretty highly thought of at one time 

#62 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 02:59 PM

Young was way better last year so I imagine they think that’s more him or they can get him back there.

#63 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 03:06 PM

I think they can still offer him $25k over slot.  But that's it.  More than that and they lose picks. They've spent deep into the 5% territory by signing Carter.

Callis said they can still go 874,050 total for McLean so close enough. We still have close to an hour....

#64 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 03:21 PM

Ruiz said if they don't sign McLean they will be taxed on $766,600 overage. Whether this happens or not, I am happy as a positive sign for the future that they were willing to do this. 

• You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#65 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:36 PM

So....no McLean?  Do we know the answer?

#66 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:56 PM

So....no McLean? Do we know the answer?

No McLean.

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:01 PM

Wonder if there was a medical they didnt like. Just seems weird to not get him signed. As far as we know he wasnt some helium guy right??

#68 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:11 PM

Wonder if there was a medical they didnt like. Just seems weird to not get him signed. As far as we know he wasnt some helium guy right??

Yeah they disagreed on the results of the medical.
  • TwentyThirtyFive and makoman like this

#69 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:15 PM

Good to see them pivot to Young and go into the penalty to get him done

#70 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:17 PM

I'm betting McLean they hoped to get for no more than slot and Walters they hoped to get lucky. And since they'll get a comp for McLean they probably feel it's no big deal they used a 3rd on him.

I'm really starting to think this is just another sign that their organization-wide approach is to invest very little in terms of money into pitching. We've obviously seen that at the ML level, but they do the same thing with the draft and international signings.

Of course there was no point in spending on pitching at the ML level before, but I honestly believe that they will take the same approach going forward...sign scrap-heap starters to augment the guys the previous regime drafted/acquired, and fill out the bullpen via the waiver wire.

#71 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:23 PM

I'm betting McLean they hoped to get for no more than slot and Walters they hoped to get lucky. And since they'll get a comp for McLean they probably feel it's no big deal they used a 3rd on him.

I'm really starting to think this is just another sign that their organization-wide approach is to invest very little in terms of money into pitching. We've obviously seen that at the ML level, but they do the same thing with the draft and international signings.

Of course there was no point in spending on pitching at the ML level before, but I honestly believe that they will take the same approach going forward...sign scrap-heap starters to augment the guys the previous regime drafted/acquired, and fill out the bullpen via the waiver wire.

If your plan was really so anti-pitcher why wouldn't you just take a hitter in the 3rd instead of hoping that you can get an overslot late rounder to make up for it later? Seems pretty convoluted.

#72 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:24 PM

I expect vet mid tier arms to be signed or traded for to fill out the rotation. Def think they will continue to go pretty cheap in the BP. 

#73 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:25 PM

I do think they dont value young pitching as much as young hitting. Grow the bats buy or trade for the arms once they have more of a track record.

#74 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:26 PM

If your plan was really so anti-pitcher why wouldn't you just take a hitter in the 3rd instead of hoping that you can get an overslot late rounder to make up for it later? Seems pretty convoluted.

They might not have liked any hitters there. And again, by not signing him they'll get a 3rd next year.

#75 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:31 PM

I expect vet mid tier arms to be signed or traded for to fill out the rotation. Def think they will continue to go pretty cheap in the BP. 

Well they did make an upgrade when they signed Lyles instead of bringing Harvey back. Though knowing by then Harvey was probably facing a 60-game suspension bringing him back with similar expectations was out of the question (even though they brought him back anyway).

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not even expecting mid-tier rotation additions. I think what we've seen so far is just their long-term formula. I hope it works somehow. At least the bullpen strategy seems to have worked.

#76 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:50 PM

That seems strange.  They just traded for a guy coming off Tommy John.  McLean is listed as a pitcher, but I think that's debated and he has a chance (mlb.com) to be a productive 3B bat.  If he thinks his' a 1st rounder and needs 2.5M, ok, but again, where's the homework?

I'm not judging the names selected, but you can go through this draft and find something odd just about everywhere, starting at 1-1.

#77 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:52 PM

That seems strange.  They just traded for a guy coming off Tommy John.  McLean is listed as a pitcher, but I think that's debated and he has a chance (mlb.com) to be a productive 3B bat.  If he thinks his' a 1st rounder and needs 2.5M, ok, but again, where's the homework?

I'm not judging the names selected, but you can go through this draft and find something odd just about everywhere, starting at 1-1.

Of course YOU can

#78 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:55 PM

Of course YOU can

I'm sure Dude has done hours and hours of advanced scouting on everyone the O's drafted.

#79 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:58 PM

I'm sure Dude has done hours and hours of advanced scouting on everyone the O's drafted.

A  piece of me wants to know whats odd about every single pick. Like break it down for me pick by pick. Ill even read it all. 

#80 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 07:00 PM

A piece of me wants to know whats odd about every single pick. Like break it down for me pick by pick. Ill even read it all.

This thread will expand by 11 pages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=