467 replies to this topic

#361 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 02:47 PM

Connolly was on 105.7 at around 1:30 today and among other things noted John has a reputation for not taking kindly to being questioned. He's the alpha in the room...

#362 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 January 2023 - 03:30 PM

Connolly was on 105.7 at around 1:30 today and among other things noted John has a reputation for not taking kindly to being questioned. He's the alpha in the room...

Then he should act like it.  

• CantonJester and makoman like this
@mikeghg

#363 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 03:35 PM

Then he should act like it.

Yeah, being afraid of inconvenient questions that don’t put you in a good light isn’t very alpha.
  • Mike B and CantonJester like this

#364 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,481 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 January 2023 - 03:39 PM

And yet he called a press conference to be in front of people whose literal job description is asking questions.

#365 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 January 2023 - 03:59 PM

And yet he called a press conference to be in front of people whose literal job description is asking questions.

I think he invited the wrong pool of reporters.  Not to be harsh, but sports writers probably do not give a damn about him giving 5 million to a charity.

Had he spent 5 M on a relief pitcher they would have had more interest.

@mikeghg

#366 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 04:22 PM

Yeah in regards to #2, I thought this was the strongest part of Dan's column

Yea, Dan ate his lunch, John snapped him out of the state run media "journalism" mode we've become so accustomed to here.
@DaKittenz

#367 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,754 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 04:28 PM

I love when super wealthy people donate money (for tax purposes) and then call press conferences to talk about how righteous they are. It's even better when they get snippy with the people they invite to cover their BS because they ask questions. The family is a cancer.
  • BSLMikeLowe and tennOsfan like this

#368 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 17 January 2023 - 06:26 PM

Important things to remember:

1) Angelos will get a tax break for his donation, it essentially cost him nothing and .....

Not the way it works.

• Mackus likes this

#369 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 05:27 AM

Not the way it works.

How does it work dude
  • BaltBird 24 likes this
@DaKittenz

#370 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 08:50 AM

How does it work dude

You deduct charitable contributions from your taxable income, not from the taxes that you pay.  So that $5M contribution probably saved something like $2M in taxes, meaning it still cost the O's $3M or so.  There are also limits on charitable deductions, but I'm assuming the O's were able to avoid those.

#371 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 08:52 AM

Speaking of taxes, from today's Sun:

The Angelos family owns 70% of the Orioles, Angelos shared Monday. It has little incentive to sell any of that as long as his father, principal owner Peter Angelos, is alive; the 93-year-old patriarch has been medically incapacitated for several years, leading to John Angelos becoming the leader of the Orioles while Louis Angelos took over the family law firm. Selling the team while Peter Angelos is alive would subject him to steep capital gains taxes, which would be eliminated in a sale after his death.

Orioles CEO John Angelos’ unwillingness to answer questions just creates more of them for ‘next week’ | ANALYSIS – Baltimore Sun

#372 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 January 2023 - 09:07 AM

Can't help but speculate that he is leaving the lease open for the new owners to decide on. That doesn't feel great. Obviously hope I'm wrong.

#373 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 09:43 AM

Zero chance of them leaving. Zero.  Not 0.000000001.   Zero. 

I have no problem with Angelos saying it wasn't the time for that question, and keeping the focus on MLK and their $5M donation to the CollegeBound Non-Profit. 

But.... he said he'd invite the reports back next week and go over the financials...  great, sounds good. I hope he honors that. 

https://www.espn.com...scolds-reporter

If Angelos doesnt have the reporters back next week then he loses all credibility with his promises that the team isnt going anywhere. And you would be a complete fool to be so cocksure if he doesnt have them back. In 2 weeks time you might be singing a completely different tune or maybe you wont. If the lease isnt extended and you still feel the Os have no chance of leaving you will have zero credibility.

#374 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 January 2023 - 10:21 AM

If Angelos doesnt have the reporters back next week then he loses all credibility with his promises that the team isnt going anywhere. And you would be a complete fool to be so cocksure if he doesnt have them back. In 2 weeks time you might be singing a completely different tune or maybe you wont. If the lease isnt extended and you still feel the Os have no chance of leaving you will have zero credibility.

There's a layer to this that you may not be thinking about. His potentially wanting to move the team is one thing. His having someplace to take the team, is another. To my knowledge, there are no available markets to go to. And while people like to speculate that he wants to relocate to Nashville, they aren't building him a ballpark. So unless he's willing to pay for his own cathedral, that's another hurdle. 

And as I always like to mention when this topic come up. Please, Please, Please move the team. MLB isn't letting Baltimore sit vacant. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#375 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 January 2023 - 10:37 AM

And as I always like to mention when this topic come up. Please, Please, Please move the team. MLB isn't letting Baltimore sit vacant.

That may be true but that would still be devastating. Starting over from scratch after watching them build a powerhouse organization isn’t what I want. Expansion teams aren’t exactly fertile ground for quick contention. Let’s just get new ownership instead.
  • weird-O likes this

#376 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,380 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 January 2023 - 10:48 AM

I wouldn't be so confident in this opinion. Plus, even if it happens, it could take a while like with what happened with football.
  • Mike B likes this

#377 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 January 2023 - 10:50 AM

There's a layer to this that you may not be thinking about. His potentially wanting to move the team is one thing. His having someplace to take the team, is another. To my knowledge, there are no available markets to go to. And while people like to speculate that he wants to relocate to Nashville, they aren't building him a ballpark. So unless he's willing to pay for his own cathedral, that's another hurdle. 

MLB is in bed with MLB big time.  Camden Yards, would be the draw for an expansion franchise, but IMO no guarantee.  In addition, do we really want to start over with an expansion franchise after the current organization already punted3 years.

@mikeghg

#378 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 10:52 AM

I'm skeptical John is going to have reporters reviewing the financials and taking legitimate questions there.

But there is no chance the Orioles will move. None.

#379 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 10:58 AM

Can't help but speculate that he is leaving the lease open for the new owners to decide on. That doesn't feel great. Obviously hope I'm wrong.

If Angelos sells, the new owners are extremely likely imo to be Bill Miller, Lucchinio, and Ripken.  

• Chris B likes this

#380 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 January 2023 - 11:05 AM

MLB is in bed with MLB big time.  Camden Yards, would be the draw for an expansion franchise, but IMO no guarantee.  In addition, do we really want to start over with an expansion franchise after the current organization already punted3 years.

It's nice that the farm system is starting to deliver, but this ownership group will never commit to winning. We've watch the O's stink up the city for most of this millennium. Tampa's lease expires in 2027, I can wait 5 years for a real baseball team to move north.   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=