467 replies to this topic

#321 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 02:44 PM

They can't sell the team while PA is still alive because of the tax consequences, right?

#322 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 03:00 PM

They can't sell the team while PA is still alive because of the tax consequences, right?

I think that everything goes to his wife when he dies, not the sons.  So don't think his death matters from an estate planning perspective until she also dies and then the franchise would be inherited by the sons and they'd owe a big Estate Tax bill.

Capital gains tax is a lot lower than the estate tax, so I think what they want to do is pay the Estate Tax based on a Trump-esque lowball valuation of the franchise and then sell the team for a lot more than they just valued it and pay the capital gains.

Sounds more complicated than e-Filing, so its well beyond my wheelhouse.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#323 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 03:39 PM

I thought that if a spouse inherits the team, she gets the stepped up basis (i.e. the difference between the purchase price and the current value of the team, which is like a billion dollars) tax free, so it would be crazy to sell while PA is alive...  I might be wrong, though.

#324 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2022 - 03:45 PM

There are higher tax implications if they sell before he passes, though some of those can be mitigated. Given that the club is at the center of this legal spat, they for sure won't be able to sell until that is settled. It would probably help if the MASN issue is settled before it goes up for sale as well. Even though that seems pretty likely to go against the Orioles, you'd at least have cost certainty for the new owner.

#325 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:26 PM

If the team were to be sold while Peter Angelos is still alive, then the capital gains would be calculated by the price he paid for the team ($173 million) against its current sale price. If the team were to sell for $1.73 billion, for example, then $1 billion would be subject to capital gains. On the other hand, should the sale not occur until after Peter Angelos passes, then the capital gains would be based upon its appraised value at the time of his death vs. the actual sale price, which would mean a much lower tax obligation.

I'm guessing that's why the family reportedly retained an appraiser.

• Mackus likes this

#326 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:37 PM

If the team were to be sold while Peter Angelos is still alive, then the capital gains would be calculated by the price he paid for the team ($173 million) against its current sale price. If the team were to sell for $1.73 billion, for example, then $1 billion would be subject to capital gains. On the other hand, should the sale not occur until after Peter Angelos passes, then the capital gains would be based upon its appraised value at the time of his death vs. the actual sale price, which would mean a much lower tax obligation.

I'm guessing that's why the family reportedly retained an appraiser.

I think your math is off by a half-billion or so.

#327 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:41 PM

I thought that if a spouse inherits the team, she gets the stepped up basis (i.e. the difference between the purchase price and the current value of the team, which is like a billion dollars) tax free, so it would be crazy to sell while PA is alive...  I might be wrong, though.

No, you're right. It would be pure folly to sell the team while Peter Angelos is still alive. That's why I can't understand why Louis Angelos is claiming in his lawsuit that his brother, John, "thwarted efforts for a sale of the Orioles. . ." Well, of course, he did. Anyone with any knowledge of estate planning would have seen the reasoning behind it.

#328 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 05:45 PM

You're probably right. The point was, the capital gains tax would be the difference between the last sale price and the current one if the team were to be sold while Peter Angelos was still alive.

#329 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 06:25 PM

He meant 1.173B, not 1.73B.

#330 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,823 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:53 PM

If you don't think what they are doing is working, pay attention to the responses just in this thread.

They are chnaging the narrative.

...be on Team MLB.  

#331 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:07 PM

Not sure what the subject of this press conference was, but apparently John Angelos feels MLK would have found it inappropriate for him to answer a question about the OPACY lease on his holiday.

When a simple "I'm not going to answer that question right now" won't suffice.

https://twitter.com/...047036944158725

#332 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,554 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:09 PM

That’s a little unnerving. Even his non-verbals.

#333 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:13 PM

That’s a little unnerving. Even his non-verbals.

He looked very visibly uncomfortable.

#334 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:34 PM

He looked very visibly uncomfortable.

He looks like someone spent $9.4M of his dollars on Adam Frazier and a minor leaguer.
  • tennOsfan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#335 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:46 PM

https://twitter.com/...hm6rhuQZAtPI7ig

#336 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,696 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:50 PM

Someone write this horrible family a blank check and get them out of our lives once and for all.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#337 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 January 2023 - 06:58 PM

Do we think he lives up to his promise that he’ll meet with the press next week?

#338 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:04 PM

Do we think he lives up to his promise that he’ll meet with the press next week?

Next week is the Lunar New Year. Chinese-Americans would no doubt find it offensive to discuss the Orioles lease on such an occasion.

• NewMarketSean, BaltBird 24, DuffMan and 3 others like this

#339 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,472 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:09 PM

Next week is the Lunar New Year. Chinese-Americans would no doubt find it offensive to discuss the Orioles lease on such an occasion.

Then later in the week is Holocaust Remembrance Day. No way should we be discussing such trivial matters then.

Of course then Black History Month starts...

• BaltBird 24 and BSLRoseKatz like this

#340 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,990 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:34 PM

The old man can't be doing well. Can this family ride off into the sunset yet?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=