• 156,126 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 11:46 AM

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,126 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 07:26 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens scouting combine preview: Which positions and players will garner the most attention?

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Draft a wide receiver? The Ravens should keep emphasizing defense this offseason. 

#63 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 08:01 AM

Based on the mocks I've seen, which could all be way wrong, Robinson might be around when the Ravens pick.  If they do take him it's a natural progression to either trade Dobbins or prepare to move on from him.  No reason to extend him if you have his successor.  They both are feed me kind of backs. 

Even if he's available, I just can't see the Ravens picking him.  They've got greater needs than running back, which is one of their strengths. 

• Hooded Viper likes this

#64 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 09:30 AM

Even if he's available, I just can't see the Ravens picking him.  They've got greater needs than running back, which is one of their strengths. 

I would agree with that

#65 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,997 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 09:39 AM

Their RBs here are under contract for 1 more year. Both JK and Gus. I agree that at the moment they have bigger needs than RB. The needs likely wont be as severe come draft day and if a talent like Robinson falls to them he will absolutely be in play.

#66 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 February 2023 - 03:48 PM

Ive said this before. The Ravens wont put themselves in a position where they need to draft a WR, CB or "pass rusher" in round 1. BTW funny how pass rusher can literally be like 3 positions depending on definition. Anywhere along the DL or OLB. Nice to make a prediction that covers you with multiple positions. But CBs, WR, and "pass rushers" are the high demand positions anyway. Catch the ball, stop the team from catching the ball, or get to the QB. Not rocket science.

The Ravens are pretty good at trading up or down based on need to fill need or get good value.  If they don't like any of the WRs or CBs at their draft position I expect them to trade down unless a player falls into their lap like Hamilton did last year.

#67 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 04:02 PM

Even if he's available, I just can't see the Ravens picking him. They've got greater needs than running back, which is one of their strengths.

Ravens are always looking past just the next year. They'll take the best player on the board, or trade down. If Robinson is the best player on their board, and they're getting no value on a trade back, Robinson will be the pick. They just signed Williams last offseason, and had Clark and Stone. Yet, they had an elite safety prospect fall into their laps last year, and took him without a second thought. They'll view Robinson the same way. And while deep at RB right now, adding an elite prospect to a room that's had recent injury issues the past 2 years, wouldn't be the worst thing.

#68 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 04:09 PM

Ravens are always looking past just the next year. They'll take the best player on the board, or trade down. If Robinson is the best player on their board, and they're getting no value on a trade back, Robinson will be the pick. They just signed Williams last offseason, and had Clark and Stone. Yet, they had an elite safety prospect fall into their laps last year, and took him without a second thought. They'll view Robinson the same way. And while deep at RB right now, adding an elite prospect to a room that's had recent injury issues the past 2 years, wouldn't be the worst thing.

I wouldn't be against the pick.  Like you said, the more the merrier but realistically, I doubt EDC bypasses either a wide receiver or cornerback in the first round. 

#69 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,997 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 04:32 PM

They will take what they deem is elite talent. All day everday. Unless its like a QB when they have one clearly in place. If that happened they would abuse some team in a trade so that team had the right to draft that elite talent. Lets say an elite C was on the board at 22. And he was the only elite player left. Ill bet dollars to biscuits they would draft him and figure out which of Linderbaum or the rookie to move to G. They would take an elite TE. An elite T. An elite RB. None will be there at 22 but the point remains.

#70 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 05:11 PM

They will take what they deem is elite talent. All day everday. Unless its like a QB when they have one clearly in place. If that happened they would abuse some team in a trade so that team had the right to draft that elite talent. Lets say an elite C was on the board at 22. And he was the only elite player left. Ill bet dollars to biscuits they would draft him and figure out which of Linderbaum or the rookie to move to G. They would take an elite TE. An elite T. An elite RB. None will be there at 22 but the point remains.

I think this is unique to this position, but unless that elite center can move to guard, I don't think the Ravens would take him.  There are some unique requirements for that position that make me doubt that even a team like the Ravens that adheres to their draft board religiously would ignore positional need and take the center.  If anything they'd move aggressively to trade down.

#71 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,997 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 05:29 PM

Cant trade down if you dont have a partner. Its certainly a fluid situation. Always is. They waited to see if anyone called before taking Hamilton. Yes, if they thought that both Linderbaum and the prospect were only elite as Cs and couldnt transition to G and still be very good then they probably pass. But in general they wont pass on elite talent unless a teams offers an elite draft haul. And even then they might decide to take the player.

#72 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 07:19 PM

Cant trade down if you dont have a partner. Its certainly a fluid situation. Always is. They waited to see if anyone called before taking Hamilton. Yes, if they thought that both Linderbaum and the prospect were only elite as Cs and couldnt transition to G and still be very good then they probably pass. But in general they wont pass on elite talent unless a teams offers an elite draft haul. And even then they might decide to take the player.

(I'm just discussing for the sake of discussing, we're in agreement with the main point here)

I think it's a lot easier to project Hamilton somewhere in the secondary, or even at linebacker, so its easier to take the talent.  Center requires have some unique skills that may or may not translate to guard.  There are probably other positions that are similar.

Obviously it requires a trade partner to make a deal, but if we go down 4 slots and get a player that we wanted anyway, getting book value out of a trade isn't all that relevant.  Obviously there's a floor regarding how little value we would be willing to accept in that scenario, but generally even if the trade is a little underwhelming, at least we get the player we want and we improve our standing elsewhere.  I generally think we can find some deal in most situations if there is a big mismatch between our board and our needs.

#73 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:20 AM

What time is the EDC presser today? Does anyone expect anything other than GM speak since he actually requested to talk to the media and wasn’t originally scheduled to? Or is it just his way of getting national face time?

I personally am not expecting anything other than fluff.

#74 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 08:53 AM

What time is the EDC presser today? Does anyone expect anything other than GM speak since he actually requested to talk to the media and wasn’t originally scheduled to? Or is it just his way of getting national face time?

I personally am not expecting anything other than fluff.

Don't expect him say. Lamar Jackson is up for sale .

• Hooded Viper likes this

#75 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 March 2023 - 10:49 AM

Warrant out for arrest of Jalen Carter, ex-Georgia star and NFL draft prospect

#76 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 11:31 AM

Sounds a lot like what Scott Erickson did.  He seemed to be getting off very lightly from what I recall of that story, though he denied that he was driving recklessly and I have no idea what the law actually is in a racing scenario.  Obviously racing or reckless driving is illegal, but I don't know that a second car would be guilty in a felony murder type of way if a first car crashes (or in Erickson's case, hits pedestrians) and kills or injures people.  

Whatever the actual laws, people doing stupid s*** in cars needs to be much more heavily punished.  If Carter was racing the car that crashed, I think he needs to do some years.  Hopefully the laws allow for that.

#77 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,997 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 12:01 PM

This is how much I check out on the NFL in the offseason. Why is EDC holding a presser. Whats the subject matter

#78 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 03:55 PM

This is how much I check out on the NFL in the offseason. Why is EDC holding a presser. Whats the subject matter

I believe many GM's do at the combine. Gives people something to do waiting on the players.

#79 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 06:40 PM

Sounds a lot like what Scott Erickson did.  He seemed to be getting off very lightly from what I recall of that story, though he denied that he was driving recklessly and I have no idea what the law actually is in a racing scenario.  Obviously racing or reckless driving is illegal, but I don't know that a second car would be guilty in a felony murder type of way if a first car crashes (or in Erickson's case, hits pedestrians) and kills or injures people.  

Whatever the actual laws, people doing stupid s*** in cars needs to be much more heavily punished.  If Carter was racing the car that crashed, I think he needs to do some years.  Hopefully the laws allow for that.

It all depends on whether or not he was racing. If he was driving in a race that led to multiple deaths? I know GA considers street racing to be only a misdemeanor (seriously, WTF is that?), but once you start throwing charges like accessory to a crime that caused multiple deaths, he's likely looking at jail. 

#80 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 01 March 2023 - 06:57 PM

https://twitter.com/...7045444610?s=20

Good grief. 

Carter left the scene of the crash for more than an hour before returning to the scene and providing statements to police. 

In interviews reviewed by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Carter misled prosecutors, first claiming he was a mile away from the accident before later acknowledging he was alongside the car that crashed, ultimately killing teammate Devin Willock, 20, and recruiting analyst Chandler LeCroy, 24. The crashed car was traveling more than double the speed limit. Additionally, toxicology reports revealed that LeCroy was driving with a blood alcohol concentration of 197, more than double the legal limit.

Hope he bought a parachute. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=