303 replies to this topic

#81 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 February 2022 - 12:39 PM

Putin might be down to his final card. Hopefully it’s a bluff.

https://apnews.com/a...be5a2f936725550

#82 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 27 February 2022 - 05:39 PM

A little dusty in here

#83 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 10:08 AM

Highlights from https://www.dw.com/e...ened/a-60931396

British energy giant BP said it was pulling its 19.75% stake in Russian state-owned gas and energy company.

BP has operated in Russia for over 30 years.

Sweden has said it would send anti-tank launchers, field rations, helmets and body armor to Ukraine. The move is a break from a longstanding policy of not arming nations in an active conflict. Sweden last sent weapons to a country in an armed conflict when the Soviet Union invaded Finland in 1939.

In Denmark, Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said the country would donate up to 2,700 anti-tank weapons to Ukraine.

60911108_303.jpg

In Saint Petersburg, hundreds of people gathered on Thursday night to protest. The crowd could be heard shouting 'No war!' Many Russians have close ties to Ukrainians, including family members across the border.

For the first time in its history, the European Union will purchase weapons for a country under attack, said European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

Russian oligarchs Oleg Deripaska and Mikhail Fridman called for an end to the invasion of Ukraine.

Mevlut Cavusoglu, Turkey's foreign minister, said during a live interview on CNN Turk that Turkey would implement the 1936 Montreux Convention, limiting the passage of Russia's warships through the Dardanelles and the Bosphorus straits. [uhmmm WOW]

[German Chancellor] Scholz also announced a plan to beef up the German military, pledging €100 billion ($112.7 billion) for the 2022 budget for the armed forces and repeating his promise to reach the 2% of GDP spending on defense in line with NATO demands.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and Mackus like this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 10:48 AM

#85 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,520 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 February 2022 - 01:42 PM

FIFA and UEFA announced they are banning all Russian soccer teams, both national and club, from competitions until further notice.

#86 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,010 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 02:13 PM

I just threw out about 1/3 of a bottle of Russian dressing.  All my reubens will henceforth be made with 1000 Island!

• You Play to Win the Game, DuffMan and BSLRoseKatz like this

#87 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 02:48 PM

Im hoping what they said on the news was wrong. But, they claimed Putin was considering his nuclear options for Ukraine.

#88 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 04:46 PM

I just threw out about 1/3 of a bottle of Russian dressing.  All my reubens will henceforth be made with 1000 Island!

But, why does Russian dressing, taste so much like Cataline Dressing? :) :) :)

#89 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 08:23 PM

Nuclear war benefits no one.  I really don't feel like that option is realistically on anyone's table.  They're about protecting regimes and deterring invasion; I hope we don't see them used offensively.

I know a lot of people are scared because of it, but I'm trying hard not to be.  But I also don't live in a tactically important part of the country, and if it comes to that I can't really control it anyway.

#90 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 06:04 AM

Nuclear war benefits no one.  I really don't feel like that option is realistically on anyone's table.  They're about protecting regimes and deterring invasion; I hope we don't see them used offensively.

I know a lot of people are scared because of it, but I'm trying hard not to be.  But I also don't live in a tactically important part of the country, and if it comes to that I can't really control it anyway.

Nuclear war doesnt benefit anybody. Putin is finding it harder to walkover Ukraine than they thought.

Most people dont understand how damn close we came to that in 63.

#91 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,539 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 March 2022 - 03:18 PM

Can't help but feel my perspective shifting a bit as it pertains to some of the things I'm so passionate about on the liberal side of the house. Freedom in and of itself is an amazing gift, and is never guaranteed. 

When you hear stories like the one about the Russian battalion that surrendered the other day, it really makes you appreciate the basics more and more. The soldiers who surrendered, didn't even realize they were in Ukraine until gunfire was headed their way - they were told they were headed to a training mission. 

I just can't imagine being forced to do Putin's bidding. Just awful.

Also - wouldn't now seem like a good time to officially begin the process of ditching fossil fuels? 

• DuffMan likes this

#92 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 08:09 PM

It's the first reminder we've had in a loooong time that we have actual real enemies, not just poor countries.  China should be in the same bucket.

My favorite read today was about how Germany is not having to wrestle with their policy that it's OK to trade with everyone regardless of how bad they might be.  Their policy shifts over the past week are vast.

• russsnyder likes this

#93 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 08:24 PM

Can't help but feel my perspective shifting a bit as it pertains to some of the things I'm so passionate about on the liberal side of the house. Freedom in and of itself is an amazing gift, and is never guaranteed.

When you hear stories like the one about the Russian battalion that surrendered the other day, it really makes you appreciate the basics more and more. The soldiers who surrendered, didn't even realize they were in Ukraine until gunfire was headed their way - they were told they were headed to a training mission.

I just can't imagine being forced to do Putin's bidding. Just awful.

Also - wouldn't now seem like a good time to officially begin the process of ditching fossil fuels?

As of now, there is no easy, or legitimate way to ditch fossil fuels. If you're ok with more nuclear generation sites, it's viable. I know large utilities are spending a ton in R&D for viable and safe ways to recycle, or get rid of nuclear waste. But if your plan involves large dependance on wind and solar, it's just not efficient, or powerful enough to support the electrical grid. Especially if your plan involves electrical vehicles, that would strain the grid even more.

As far as the financial aspect goes, you wouldn't be saving anything. You'd simply be trading money spent at the pumps, and to your local heating oil/propane companies. For money spent at charging stations, and on your own electrical bill. Realistically, everyone would probably end up paying more, because generation companies will start needing to increase output exponentially. Which would cause them to charge local utilities more, and they're just going to send that cost right down the line to the customers.

Wave power technology offers a lot of potential. But it would obviously be limited to coastal areas, and like wind and solar, is largely dependent on the weather.

I do know one thing, fornas much as the left hates the man. Elon Musk and his company may be the best chance of someone truly innovating a viable, sustainable, green energy.
  • russsnyder likes this

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:26 PM

It's the first reminder we've had in a loooong time that we have actual real enemies, not just poor countries. China should be in the same bucket.

My favorite read today was about how Germany is not having to wrestle with their policy that it's OK to trade with everyone regardless of how bad they might be. Their policy shifts over the past week are vast.

This is our first real reminder?

#95 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 06:01 AM

This is our first real reminder?

It's been a long time since nuclear war has been mentioned as an option by a world leader. I'll agree that it's our first real threat in decades.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#96 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 07:12 AM

It's been a long time since nuclear war has been mentioned as an option by a world leader. I'll agree that it's our first real threat in decades.

North Korea is one they have kept an eye on, especially, with his passion to fire test missiles at US Soil.  Of course, while a leader there, he isnt a World Leader.

They start sending nukes, and it will be Armageddon in real life, for sure.

#97 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:03 AM

The quote wasn't directly about the nuclear threat - which has always existed - but acknowledging we have real State level enemies.

I don't see Russia's invasion of Ukraine as our first reminder that Russia is our enemy.

It hasn't been a hot war, but it's been war for a long time.
  • DuffMan and CantonJester like this

#98 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:51 AM

The quote wasn't directly about the nuclear threat - which has always existed - but acknowledging we have real State level enemies.

I don't see Russia's invasion of Ukraine as our first reminder that Russia is our enemy.

It hasn't been a hot war, but it's been war for a long time.

We haven't had a nuclear power go on " high alert" for years.

Both Russia and China are State level enemies IMO. The fact that they have some sort of back room smoky deal going on is even more disconcerting.

The Russians have shown that their military is generally disorganized and that they were not ready for this invasion. That's why Putin played the nuclear card IMO. Their performance in Ukraine is frankly embarrassing.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#99 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:28 AM

Russian tank ran out of fuel in Ukraine, Ukraine Soldiers came on it, and was having fun with them. They had no clue as to where they were going, just following orders. This video went viral over the internet.

• russsnyder likes this

#100 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 11:30 AM

Russian tank ran out of fuel in Ukraine, Ukraine Soldiers came on it, and was having fun with the them. They had no clue as to where they were going, just following orders. This video went viral over the internet.

Russian army is made up of conscripts. Another words, compulsory enlistment and soldiers that do not want to be in the Army.

• Old Man likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=