303 replies to this topic

#101 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 11:34 AM

Nice website... Ukraine Sanctions Tracker - Defend the free world — cut off the oxygen of Putin’s aggression now

fight4ukraine.com

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#102 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 March 2022 - 05:03 PM

Russian army is made up of conscripts. Another words, compulsory enlistment and soldiers that do not want to be in the Army.

It certainly isn't helping them that they were apparently lied to about what their mission was.

Hard as it might be to have sympathy for the Russian Army, you can't help but feel bad for these rank-and-file guys when you hear that they were led to believe they were just doing an "exercise," and that when they went in to Ukraine the opposing forces would lay down their arms and they'd be welcomed by the civilians, then suddenly realizing they are an invading force as they're getting shot at.

#103 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:09 PM

It certainly isn't helping them that they were apparently lied to about what their mission was.

Hard as it might be to have sympathy for the Russian Army, you can't help but feel bad for these rank-and-file guys when you hear that they were led to believe they were just doing an "exercise," and that when they went in to Ukraine the opposing forces would lay down their arms and they'd be welcomed by the civilians, then suddenly realizing they are an invading force as they're getting shot at.

That's the scary part. They're throwing conscripts and sticking to shelling the major cities. No real aggressive moves. To me, from the outside looking in, Putin seems to be making a big show of sacrificing some pawns, while he's setting bigger things into motion in the background.

He has to know he's done politically worldwide after this. As long as he is the leader, the EU and US will do everything they can to make sure Russia's economy struggles. If he ever leaves Russia, Belarus or China, he will more than likely be arrested and tried for war crimes, and crimes against humanity. I just can't see him withdrawing and apologizing.

To me it seems like bigger things we haven't seen yet are in motion. Possibly things currently being planned with China. Hopefully I'm wrong, and the Russian military, leaders, and Putin himself are just that incompetent and dumb. But for some reason I highly doubt that.

#104 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:25 PM

The quote wasn't directly about the nuclear threat - which has always existed - but acknowledging we have real State level enemies.

I don't see Russia's invasion of Ukraine as our first reminder that Russia is our enemy.

It hasn't been a hot war, but it's been war for a long time.

Personally, I don't think I really experienced that.  I missed the scares of the 80s.  In my lifetime, I think we've tried to pretend China and Russia were adversaries, but everyone was doing business with one another to help the rich folks make more money.  Economic threats didn't really make me fear a real war breaking out, and we were living under the delusion that the world at large was progressing.

#105 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 March 2022 - 07:04 AM

Over a million refugees have fled from Ukraine :sad:

#106 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 March 2022 - 07:45 AM

In additional to cancelling their race in Russia this year,  F1 has terminated their contract with the country and won't be racing there anymore.

#107 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 10:16 AM

Russian, Belarusian athletes banned from Winter Paralympic Games as IPC reverses ruling

https://www.espn.com...aralympic-games

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#108 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 11:29 AM

It just seems inevitable that the world has to stand up to the bully. Fight the bully. I understand why that causes a ton of anxiety but I cant see how it doesnt come to that.

#109 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:07 PM

It just seems inevitable that the world has to stand up to the bully. Fight the bully. I understand why that causes a ton of anxiety but I cant see how it doesnt come to that.

There will always be a bully. China's language is incredibly concerning around this, for example. I'm with Biggsy, I fear this is the second act of something bigger (with COVID being the first act). You see the 4D chess these types play, and you simply can't believe what we're being told. I think much more is at play here.

#110 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 12:56 PM

There will always be a bully. China's language is incredibly concerning around this, for example. I'm with Biggsy, I fear this is the second act of something bigger (with COVID being the first act). You see the 4D chess these types play, and you simply can't believe what we're being told. I think much more is at play here.

Thats kind of what I mean. Legit WW3. Which I hope wouldnt be the end of the world but good luck with that.

#111 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,424 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 01:03 PM

Btw Ive heard that China plays the long game. Is this really their moment to strike. To go with an aging madman on a quest to reestablish the Eastern Bloc. I have to think this isnt their play but maybe thats wishful thinking.

#112 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 March 2022 - 05:28 PM

A very interesting Twitter thread on why Russia's initial invasion failed so miserably:

https://twitter.com/..._cssvwFkPg&s=19
  • 24fps and DuffMan like this

#113 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 11:52 AM

I have an idea! Do not shell Europe's largest nuclear power plant. It has 6 nuclear reactors and no radiation leaked. A fire broke out in a training facility. What in hell were they thinking!

https://www.bloomber...nt-ukraine-says

#114 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 04 March 2022 - 11:54 AM

Top Russian general killed in Ukraine - Maj. Gen. Andrei Sukhovetsky, the commanding general of the Russian 7th Airborne Division

https://www.stripes....ne-5212594.html

• CantonJester likes this

#115 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 March 2022 - 11:55 AM

I have an idea! Do not shell Europe's largest nuclear power plant. It has 6 nuclear reactors and no radiation leaked. A fire broke out in a training facility. What in hell were they thinking!

https://www.bloomber...nt-ukraine-says

It's clear they're in the midst of both a mass genocide, as well as targeting key infrastructure to make Ukraine unhabitable. Even without radiation leak, the damage done to key infrastructure is essentially making Ukraine into a 3rd world country. So if Zelensky won't surrender, at least make it to where Ukraine basically is no longer a country at the end of the day. 

Just pure evil. 

#116 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 11:38 AM

https://twitter.com/...35OSZehE7w&s=19

Another interesting thread on Russia's tactical and logistical problems.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#117 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 05 March 2022 - 12:53 PM

Not surprising at all, but still, fascinating to see.

https://twitter.com/...2299643907?s=21

65c121556adc85bec846926822d0f21fa0ecab27

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#118 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 07:03 AM

Quite the speech by this Russian POW: https://twitter.com/...T_m5yTBhIQ&s=19

#119 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 10:54 AM

Hacker anonymous made good on their threat to Putin in Feb.

They hacked into their media system and playing real footage of the Ukraine war.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#120 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,756 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 March 2022 - 09:10 AM

Brittany Griner picked a bad time to be in Russia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=