• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 09:40 AM

Saw this from a tweet who said he got it from Ukraine intellegence. Makes sense. Putin wants to take Kiev, remove the leadership, set up a puppet regime and get out. At least for now.

That does seem realistic. 

#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 25 February 2022 - 11:41 AM

Hard to see Kyiv not falling in the next couple of days.

Then a guerrilla war? The biggest damage to Russian forces will be if they try and occupy.

Eh, from what I'm seeing, that's going to be a difficult task for the Russian military. Resistance seems to be stronger in general than expected and it looks to be very stout in Kyiv.

Even if they largely occupy the city, resistance will likely remain fierce and holding that ground will be challenging.

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 11:58 AM

Eh, from what I'm seeing, that's going to be a difficult task for the Russian military. Resistance seems to be stronger in general than expected and it looks to be very stout in Kyiv.

Even if they largely occupy the city, resistance will likely remain fierce and holding that ground will be challenging.

I don't think Russia can hold (or at-least is prepared to hold Ukraine).   But absolutely think they are looking to quickly overwhelm Kyiv, and install a puppet regime. 

But even if that happens... that puppet regime would figure to face significant guerrilla pressure.  So, will Russia try and leave some troops there to safeguard their puppets?

The US intelligence prior to yesterday suggested Kyiv would fall between 1-4 days, and apparently they are sticking to that analysis...  but yep, Ukraine resistance is stronger than some anticipated, which is great. 

Ukraine definitely in a stronger position than 2014...  but they need more help.  Will the West be able to get more arms to them? If the Gov't falls, will the West be able to get arms to whatever guerrilla resistance exists?

Whole situation is sickening. 

#44 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 12:01 PM

German lawmakers calling to remove Russia from SWIFT.

And yet Chancellor Olaf Scholz has not agreed to at the moment.

German Parliament member Norbert Röttgen, from the Christian Democrats party, said on Twitter that cutting Russia from SWIFT is the ''sharpest sword'' for sanctions, adding that: ''The SWIFT exclusion of Russia must not fail now because of Germany!''

This sentiment was shared with other German politicians. ''Russia must now be cut from SWIFT!'' German Green MEP Jan Philipp Albrecht wrote on Twitter Thursday, adding ''If Germany prevents this key sanction, the way will be prepared for Putin to expand his war in #Europe.''

https://edition.cnn....8916ef495ed807e

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#45 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 12:03 PM

Dictator for life...

The Russian government has said that people who are against the country’s invasion of Ukraine “do not have the right to organize protest actions” without seeking permission first.

https://edition.cnn....8916ef495ed807e

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#46 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 February 2022 - 12:03 PM

Couple of sporting related pieces of info.

The Klitschko brothers have both joined in the fight against Russia.

F1 has cancelled the Russian GP

#47 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 12:07 PM

I don't think Russia can hold (or at-least is prepared to hold Ukraine). But absolutely think they are looking to quickly overwhelm Kyiv, and install a puppet regime.

But even if that happens... that puppet regime would figure to face significant guerrilla pressure. So, will Russia try and leave some troops there to safeguard their puppets?

The US intelligence prior to yesterday suggested Kyiv would fall between 1-4 days, and apparently they are sticking to that analysis... but yep, Ukraine resistance is stronger than some anticipated, which is great.

Ukraine definitely in a stronger position than 2014... but they need more help. Will the West be able to get more arms to them? If the Gov't falls, will the West be able to get arms to whatever guerrilla resistance exists?

2014 was very different for a number of reasons, perhaps most notably that there were a fair amount of people in Crimea that wanted to go back to Russia while this is a full on invasion people that very much don't want to be Russian.

If they try to hold Ukraine, this will likely end up being their Iraq/Vietnam or akin to their own war in Afghanistan.

It will be terrible for Ukraine, but also really bad for Russia in all likelihood.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,144 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 12:12 PM

That's the hope, and I agree Russia will pay a heavy price if they try and stay.

#49 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 02:47 PM

Notification on my phone from The Athletic says "Alex Ovechkin, Putin supporter, hopes this ends soon."

Is my favorite hockey player a Putin supporter because if he isn't they will poison him? Or do I need to find a new favorite hockey player? 

@BSLMikeRandall

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 02:49 PM

Notification on my phone from The Athletic says "Alex Ovechkin, Putin supporter, hopes this ends soon."

Is my favorite hockey player a Putin supporter because if he isn't they will poison him? Or do I need to find a new favorite hockey player?

From what I can gather, a fair amount of Russian celebrities have spoken out against the war.

#51 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 02:51 PM

Yeah, Ovechkin is trying to be anti-war while still being pro-Putin, which is kind of a hard knot to thread.  His Instagram avatar is still a picture of him with Putin, apparently.

#52 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 02:55 PM

From what I can gather, a fair amount of Russian celebrities have spoken out against the war.

Yeah, he's on the side of being against the war. Hate seeing "Putin supporter" next to someones name I like though.

@BSLMikeRandall

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 February 2022 - 02:55 PM

Couple of sporting related pieces of info.

The Klitschko brothers have both joined in the fight against Russia.

F1 has cancelled the Russian GP

Isn't one of them the mayor of Kyiv?

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 03:02 PM

I don't think Russia can hold (or at-least is prepared to hold Ukraine).   But absolutely think they are looking to quickly overwhelm Kyiv, and install a puppet regime. 

But even if that happens... that puppet regime would figure to face significant guerrilla pressure.  So, will Russia try and leave some troops there to safeguard their puppets?

The US intelligence prior to yesterday suggested Kyiv would fall between 1-4 days, and apparently they are sticking to that analysis...  but yep, Ukraine resistance is stronger than some anticipated, which is great. 

Ukraine definitely in a stronger position than 2014...  but they need more help.  Will the West be able to get more arms to them? If the Gov't falls, will the West be able to get arms to whatever guerrilla resistance exists?

Putin was in the KGB during the Soviet-Afghanistan era. You would think he would understand full-well the challenge of trying to exert control over another country that clearly does not align with you. No way he can just topple the government, install a puppet regime and leave....Ukraine overthrew a pro-Russia regime before, they'll try to do it again. He'd need to leave significant forces there to help the new guy tamp down insurgencies. If he really wants Ukraine, a permanent occupation might be his only path.

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 February 2022 - 03:17 PM

Putin has advised Ukrainian soldiers that any who don’t surrender will be killed along with their families.

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,441 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 03:41 PM

Putin has advised Ukrainian soldiers that any who don’t surrender will be killed along with their families.

If that's true and it happens, he's pretty much a war criminal and will probably never be able to leave Russia again without facing prosecution, aside from a small number of very friendly countries that are willing to assure his protection.

#57 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 03:45 PM

If that's true and it happens, he's pretty much a war criminal and will probably never be able to leave Russia again without facing prosecution, aside from a small number of very friendly countries that are willing to assure his protection.

One of them is a tiny island nation located just east of West Palm Beach. 

#58 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 04:44 PM

Russia threatens 'military and political consequences' if Finland, Sweden try joining NATO

https://thehill.com/...nces-if-finland

#59 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 07:39 PM

Isn't one of them the mayor of Kyiv?

Yes, Vitali is the mayor.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#60 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 25 February 2022 - 09:21 PM

Russia threatens 'military and political consequences' if Finland, Sweden try joining NATO

https://thehill.com/...nces-if-finland

Yeah, it looks like Russia is seriously emboldened by their invasion of Ukraine despite the last minute sanctions imposed by the West.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=