Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles altering Camden Yards’ left-field dimensions amid ballpark’s historic home run binge

• Please log in to reply
953 replies to this topic

#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:50 AM

This seems to link to an old (original?) summary of the lease agreement with all sorts of info on percentages...

https://www.google.c...YhYh8Khr5exwWJL

Looks like the MSA gets 25% of all advertising revenues. But highly doubt they have any say in who/what/where is advertised.

#42 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:52 AM

Might explain why the All Star game hasn't returned to Baltimore... Maybe the Orioles don't want to shell out the $5000 in rent fee to host it again??? ;)

#43 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:00 PM

(1) Jack on Twitter: "Hey #Orioles fans, next season, the left-field wall is moving back by about 30 ft. The O's haven't released a render yet, so I wanted to share what it'll probably look like. #birdland #Oriolepark https://t.co/jlWUUvQmUN" / Twitter

So this is good, but it lacks perspective on the actual changes.  You kind of need the outline of the current situation...so something between what hallas did (good) and this would be more visual in terms of understanding the difference.

It is kind of amazing they do this without any of the public rendering early.  It seems like the simple and obvious thing to do.  When they announced the DR facility, they had the virtual visuals lined up, right?

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:05 PM

First pitch at OPACY this season is 3/31, maybe they skipped the renderings and went straight to construction, lol. Seriously though, they need to get started on this immediately. Crazy timeframe.

#45 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:08 PM

It is kind of crazy how this just was announced and still needs to he completed. Maybe MLB was dragging their feet on approval. Or the owners.

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:10 PM

My only issue is the raising of the wall height. As Randall said, this robs us of seeing homers robbed. I also worry that it may cause an issue with the view for fans in left.

I do imagine a lot of seats out there will not be able to see a bit of the field approaching the warning track after this. I wonder if this is a precursor to some of the other things they want to do as part of the new lease, and the whole LF seating area becomes something different.

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:10 PM

Cant be the first time moving LF back has been suggested. Do wonder if Pete nixed it.

#48 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:16 PM

Rip out the LF lower deck seats and make it a hill. Like the LLWS outfield. Fill the concourse area with picnic tables. I'm full of good ideas...

#49 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:18 PM

I think Elias wants stronger defensive outfields who can hit.

Definitely think the main motive was strategic. Elias continues to build my trust more and more.

I think the discussion of strategy will take some time to develop.  

First, Elias is an employee, he can make an argument, but this is more than a Baseball Operations decision.  That said, he could certainly make an argument.  The Blue Jays are a younger and heavy RHed team.  The Yankees core hitters (DJL, Stanton, Judge) are RHed.  BOS has been more RHed than LHed in recent years.  I guess you can run the math and figure out what your run prevention looks like with current and new and argue that's an "improvement in your pitching".

The Orioles have also been more LHed with pitchers recently so more LH pitchers means more RHed batters.  Do you look at John Means and see where balls are landing to left-center and argue that he's a run better, let's get an extension done?  I'm all for it.

...but the Orioles have also tended to be more RHed recently and maybe that changes with some guys coming in the future, so it could impact your run scoring too.  

Does anyone think they are trying to attract FA pitching with a less hitter friendly park?  That would seem to be the opposite of their approach.

Maybe it's as simple as "if we move the fences back our ERA goes down 0.80."  I guess there's plenty of time to break it down....but you don't get credit for 'improved pitching' when your answer was to move the fences back.

#50 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:23 PM

I do imagine a lot of seats out there will not be able to see a bit of the field approaching the warning track after this. I wonder if this is a precursor to some of the other things they want to do as part of the new lease, and the whole LF seating area becomes something different.

...was kind of thinking about this too.  With the recent article on Lease and social spaces, etc, maybe they do this for negotiation/investment reasons.  Precursor to other changes once you start taking things apart.  Now we have to move the bullpen, so now this goes over here and this goes over here and we'll do this with this space, now.

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:33 PM

My biggest concern is how they're going to make up for the lost revenue with the reduced attendance capacity!

#52 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:41 PM

The future of MLB might be modular stadiums that you can redesign annually so the dimensions are tailored to the team you have (and perhaps against your division rivals).

(Only half kidding)

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 12:42 PM

My biggest concern is how they're going to make up for the lost revenue with the reduced attendance capacity!

See the previous post about the benefits of a bigger wall. ;)

#54 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:04 PM

That is not how it works. The Orioles lease the stadium, and they are the ones that run and benefit from the advertisements. 

Thanks. 

#55 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:12 PM

From Camden Depot about 10 years ago:

http://camdendepot.b...camden.html?m=1

He tried to figure out how moving the fence would affect HR at Camden Yards. Seems like in the particular section he looked at moving the fence back 30 feet would have cut HR by over 50% in a 3 year period. Even moving back 10 feet gave a 20% reduction in HR.

Now obviously we don't know yet what the dimensions will be, and it won't be 30 feet back everywhere, but it seems like this could be a really significant change. 

#56 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:39 PM

The future of MLB might be modular stadiums that you can redesign annually so the dimensions are tailored to the team you have (and perhaps against your division rivals).

(Only half kidding)

I actually said this very same thing in my friends' group chat this morning. 

I am sure there are MLB rules that prohibit it, but I'm curious how often teams could "alter" their park dimensions to fit their current roster. Are there league-wide specifications that need to be met? Is it something that could be changed mid-season (or even more crazy, game-to-game depending on the pitching matchups)? 

#57 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:48 PM

teams have been known to change the height of the grass and how much water is used or not used, to change the speed of the ground ball. :)

#58 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:49 PM

Here's a pretty good picture of the current park for comparison.

Oriole-Park-at-Camden-6-15-1024x576.jpg

• DuffMan likes this

#59 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:50 PM

(1) Jack on Twitter: "Hey #Orioles fans, next season, the left-field wall is moving back by about 30 ft. The O's haven't released a render yet, so I wanted to share what it'll probably look like. #birdland #Oriolepark https://t.co/jlWUUvQmUN" / Twitter

It looks pretty similar to what I had in mind, but it looks like they are changing the wall all the way to the LF line.  It's going to be like 345 or so to the LF line if they do that.

#60 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:58 PM

Easily the most exciting news of the offseason. Is that good or bad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=