Photo

Balt Sun: Orioles altering Camden Yards’ left-field dimensions amid ballpark’s historic home run binge

• Please log in to reply
953 replies to this topic

#61 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:00 PM

Here's another good shot of the current layout.

Camden-Yards.jpg

#62 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:10 PM

My biggest concern is how they're going to make up for the lost revenue with the reduced attendance capacity!

No one was buying those seats, so it's not really a loss

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#63 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:11 PM

Those were actually pretty popular seats, weren't they?  And now there are only half as many.

• DuffMan likes this

#64 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:14 PM

Those were actually pretty popular seats, weren't they?  And now there are only half as many.

That's my lead balloon sense of humor. I was making fun of their attendance the last couple of years. But you're right, I've sat down there a few times. It was cool to be almost at field level. Sometimes progress is painful.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#65 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,618 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:16 PM

Are those batters’ boxes in the bullpens regulation size? Because then each of those BPs are what, 22-24 feet in depth (relative to the park)? 

#66 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:17 PM

I was joking
  • weird-O likes this

#67 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:23 PM

Losing the best seats in the stadium (and where my tickets were when I had them).  Wonder if front few rows of the new LF lower box will be just as good or if the low height and closeness to the plate were the appeal.

#68 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:29 PM

Losing the best seats in the stadium (and where my tickets were when I had them).  Wonder if front few rows of the new LF lower box will be just as good or if the low height and closeness to the plate were the appeal.

I liked those seats too. Sat around there whenever I had the choice, including the 2012 playoffs.

Those particular sections will be smaller I guess, but there should still be approximately the same number of seats within X feet of the fence, whatever X is to anyone's preference. You're right that now they will be higher and farther though. Not sure how different it will be.

#69 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:30 PM

I wonder if there will now be a gap between the outfield wall and the seating area like there is in front of the bleachers.

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:30 PM

Sections 80-86 definitely among the best seats / values imo.  

I think the best seats in the park are 33-37 Terrace Box in-front of the Pressbox.  Just keep your head up. 

Lots of great seats at OPACY.   Such a great park. 

• DuffMan and weird-O like this

#71 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:34 PM

This is definitely huge news.   Going to have lots of impact both pitching wise, and offensively. 

Mullins lack of an arm might be exposed more, but his range will be further appreciated. 
Hays will get more respect for his defensive ability too imo. 

Should see more doubles.... and OPACY has never been good for triples. That will be in play some.

Should see more relays too, which is fun. 

#72 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:37 PM

I think the best seats in the park are 33-37 Terrace Box in-front of the Pressbox.  Just keep your head up. 

Respectfully disagree, those terrace box are pretty good.

But, I have to tell you, the best darn seats in the house, are the luxury boxes. You do a game up there, and you never want to go back to the poor seats. :)

• Mike B likes this

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:38 PM

Respectfully disagree, those terrace box are pretty good.

But, I have to tell you, the best darn seats in the house, are the luxury boxes. You do a game up there, and you never want to go back to the poor seats. :)

Been there, and I can enjoy a Club Level game...  but not my preference. :) 

#74 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:42 PM

(1) Jack on Twitter: "Hey #Orioles fans, next season, the left-field wall is moving back by about 30 ft. The O's haven't released a render yet, so I wanted to share what it'll probably look like. #birdland #Oriolepark https://t.co/jlWUUvQmUN" / Twitter

Doesn't look that much different, reminds me sort of what the left field wall at The Jake looks like

prog10952.jpg

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#75 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:42 PM

I had season tickets out there, too.  We sat about halfway back, so that will probably be close to the front row now.  I don't remember having any complaints about the view, although maybe we couldn't really see the leftfielder when there was a play right at the wall.  That part will probably be worse with a 12 foot wall.

I just texted with my group of friends who had the season tickets.  We were in section 82.  The guy in charge of the tickets said he put our name on the waiting list in 1992, and we finally were able to buy a 13-game plan in 1995.

#76 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:44 PM

We're gonna need a bigger wall

azG3Xnmu6o69JMh2pvJhdC.jpg

@bopper33

#77 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:46 PM

We moved from section 340 last year to section 43 this year.  Probably only one of a few dunces that actually upgraded our seats.

I still think the best views are from behind home plate looking out.  I don't dig watching a ball game from the outfield/bleachers but to each their own.

• BSLChrisStoner and Nigel Tufnel like this

@bopper33

#78 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:56 PM

Been there, and I can enjoy a Club Level game...  but not my preference. :)

Something about access to your own bathroom without sharing with more than a few people. :)

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#79 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:58 PM

We moved from section 340 last year to section 43 this year.  Probably only one of a few dunces that actually upgraded our seats.

I still think the best views are from behind home plate looking out.  I don't dig watching a ball game from the outfield/bleachers but to each their own.

I was in left field seats by the bull pen for the Yankees - Orioles ALCS of 96.

Great seats, maybe because of it being a playoff game. Even Chuck Thompson was sitting in the seats near us, with his wife.

Sucks that they threw that game away at the end, but it was a bucket list life event for sure.

#80 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 January 2022 - 03:11 PM

I actually said this very same thing in my friends' group chat this morning. 

I am sure there are MLB rules that prohibit it, but I'm curious how often teams could "alter" their park dimensions to fit their current roster. Are there league-wide specifications that need to be met? Is it something that could be changed mid-season (or even more crazy, game-to-game depending on the pitching matchups)? 

There probably isn't a rule right now, but if some team tried to alter the dimensions to their park every season or so to their advantage I bet there would be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=