3122 replies to this topic

#61 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:09 PM

I never thought about the flip, and probably would dismiss it without further thought.  However, if it does come out that he had a lower back injury I would certainly question whether the flip had something to do with it.  I would imagine that type of landing can be hard on the lower back if you don't land in just the right way.  

Personally, I still think the struggles began after Miami figured out and showed the rest of the league that the Ravens O-lne was basically crap and that by blitzing you could nuetralize Jackson's running ability, and affect his ability to survey the field forcing him to either throw before he wanted to or take a sack.  The key to stopping this is upgrading an offensive line that hasn't been the same since Yanda retired.

But if I was the Ravens FO, I would tell him lose the flip anyway.  There's no point to it except for showing off.  This isn't Olympic skating, you get no style points added to the TD.  The only point of doing that is to get a sportscenter moment.  He gets enough of those with his abilities.  No need to do something that can tweak a muscle or a back and cause lingering mobility problems.  

#62 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:13 PM

I noticed he wasn't masked on the sidelines while he was out the 4 weeks, and no mention of fines for him, so I imagine that would mean he did in fact get vaccinated. Not sure if that would curb long covid symptoms or not.

No it wouldn't do anything for long term symptoms.  The vaccination only teaches a person's immune system to recognize the covid pattern and produce antibodies that can successfully lessen or prevent the effects of a future virus infection.  It would do nothing to help any long term effects that were caused by a previous infection.  

#63 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 11 January 2022 - 08:50 PM

No it wouldn't do anything for long term symptoms. The vaccination only teaches a person's immune system to recognize the covid pattern and produce antibodies that can successfully lessen or prevent the effects of a future virus infection. It would do nothing to help any long term effects that were caused by a previous infection.

That isn't necessarily true.

https://www.yalemedi...ines-long-covid

#64 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 06:45 AM

That isn't necessarily true.

https://www.yalemedi...ines-long-covid

Interesting article.  I stand corrected.  I can see how it would be possible that a shot during long term covid could help you by increasing anti-bodies that might fight the effects of long term covid.  I think more research probably needs to be done, but it certainly seems like a possibility that it would help.  Thanks!

#65 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 07:29 AM

No it wouldn't do anything for long term symptoms. The vaccination only teaches a person's immune system to recognize the covid pattern and produce antibodies that can successfully lessen or prevent the effects of a future virus infection. It would do nothing to help any long term effects that were caused by a previous infection.

Well, he looked like himself to end last season, and was playing well to start this one. If he was vaccinated, it was in the preseason when it was initially reported. Which means he was infected this season while vaccinated. I just think it being anything covid related is very slim.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#66 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2022 - 08:27 AM

This is a pretty generic and not at all enlightening article from ESPN on the state of all the non-playoff teams. First, this sucks. Second, of those teams Baltimore was the oldest in terms of average age of starters. That was the one piece that jumped out at me.

https://www.espn.com...ild-right-track

#67 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:06 AM

This is a pretty generic and not at all enlightening article from ESPN on the state of all the non-playoff teams. First, this sucks. Second, of those teams Baltimore was the oldest in terms of average age of starters. That was the one piece that jumped out at me.

https://www.espn.com...ild-right-track

Until they prove otherwise, I look at the future of this team as this...

Basically, since Billick took over... when the Ravens have had their below .500 seasons, it's come with a combination of QB problems / injury, and often along with key injuries at other spots.

2002 - Blake and Redman were the QBs
2005 - Boller and Wright were the QBs
2007 - McNair ran out of gas and played only 6 not good games), Boller and Troy Smith made 10 starts; McAlister and Rolle missed a lot of time; Trevor Pryce barely played due to injuries
2015 - Flacco hurt; Mallett, Schaub, Clausen each made two starts; ...and Marc TRESTMAN was O.C. which was basically like cutting one foot off every offensive player too...
2021 - Jackson out the last 4.75 games (all lost); won't bother rehashing all the other injuries... we know...

They haven't really had a losing season in the last 22 years except when they've been weak and/or injured at QB. All 5 of those sub-.500 seasons have corresponded to major issues / injuries at the QB position. The 2015 season is the only one I think you could try to make a case that they were already at 3-7 when Flacco got knocked out the rest of the way, but I don't joke at all when I make the case that Trestman was like giving an injury to EVERY player on that offense. They LEAD THE NFL in passing attempts that year. With an offense that wasn't built to lead the league in passing attempts. Mornhinweg wasn't much better. And Flacco's age started to limit him a bit too the last couple years.

But really... when they've had at LEAST healthy and DECENT play at the QB position, they've finished .500 or better and made the playoffs in 13 out of those 17 seasons. Hell, they even managed to make the playoffs one year with Boller and Wright running the show.

I have faith in the front office to put together a roster that will open training camp with a competitive contender. What happens after that depends on health, among other things (I'll avoid the coaching / scheme / play-calling debate). :)

#68 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:24 AM

Interesting article. I stand corrected. I can see how it would be possible that a shot during long term covid could help you by increasing anti-bodies that might fight the effects of long term covid. I think more research probably needs to be done, but it certainly seems like a possibility that it would help. Thanks!

Definitely more research is needed, but I agree - it's interesting, and encouraging.

#69 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:26 AM

Basically, since Billick took over... when the Ravens have had their below .500 seasons, it's come with a combination of QB problems / injury, and often along with key injuries at other spots.

2007 - McNair rain out of gas and played only 6 not good games), Boller and Troy Smith made 10 starts; McAlister and Rolle missed a lot of time; Trevor Pryce barely played due to injuries
2015 - Flacco hurt; Mallett, Schaub, Clausen each made two starts; ...and Marc TRESTMAN was O.C. which was basically like cutting one foot off every offensive player too...
2021 - Jackson out the last 4.75 games (all lost); won't bother rehashing all the other injuries... we know...

They haven't really had a losing season in the last 22 years except when they've been weak and/or injured at QB. All 5 of those sub-.500 seasons have corresponded to major issues / injuries at the QB position. The 2015 season is the only one I think you could try to make a case that they were already at 3-7 when Flacco got knocked out the rest of the way, but I don't joke at all when I make the case that Trestman was like giving an injury to EVERY player on that offense. They LEAD THE NFL in passing attempts that year. With an offense that wasn't built to lead the league in passing attempts. Mornhinweg wasn't much better. And Flacco's age started to limit him a bit too the last couple years.

But really... when they've had at LEAST healthy and DECENT play at the QB position, they've finished .500 or better and made the playoffs in 13 out of those 17 seasons. Hell, they even managed to make the playoffs one year with Boller and Wright running the show.

I have faith in the front office to put together a roster that will open training camp with a competitive contender. What happens after that depends on health, among other things (I'll avoid the coaching / scheme / play-calling debate). :)

I generally agree with you. This season was the result of almost everything going wrong, and I don't expect it to continue. They need an infusion of youth on both sides of the line of scrimmage though.

#70 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,016 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:09 AM

9 years ago today the Mile High Miracle happened. One of the greatest moments and games in NFL history.
  • You Play to Win the Game and ivanbalt like this

#71 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:40 AM

9 years ago the second round of the conference playoffs was over by a date before this year's wildcard games have even started. Crazy...

#72 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,016 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:52 AM

9 years ago mweb thought Flacco made a standard NFL throw to hit Jacoby
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mashed Potatoes like this

#73 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 11:57 AM

It was his check down...

And yeah, that game should get a lot more talk about greatest games ever played. Probably would if Manning had been the winning QB. :)
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#74 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 02:59 PM

9 years ago today the Mile High Miracle happened. One of the greatest moments and games in NFL history.

The next day hangover was pretty rough.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#75 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 January 2022 - 03:00 PM

The next day hangover was pretty rough.

Same. An all-timer. But worth it. But I mostly sept through the Sunday games.

#76 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:36 PM

2007 - McNair ran out of gas and played only 6 not good games), Boller and Troy Smith made 10 starts; McAlister and Rolle missed a lot of time; Trevor Pryce barely played due to injuries

I am not sold on EDC as GM. I don't think he's bad, but the vast majority of those seasons were with Newsome as GM. I think the value that Newsome got out of the draft was absolutely insane, and I don't think EDC is on the same level.

#77 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 12 January 2022 - 10:31 PM

I am not sold on EDC as GM. I don't think he's bad, but the vast majority of those seasons were with Newsome as GM. I think the value that Newsome got out of the draft was absolutely insane, and I don't think EDC is on the same level.

Considering how long Ozzie did it, I think the jury is still out on EDC with such a small body of work. JMO

#78 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 03:31 PM

David Culley was fired. I don't know what that team expected out of their coach this year. But hey, thanks for the draft picks...

#79 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 January 2022 - 03:39 PM

David Culley was fired. I don't know what that team expected out of their coach this year. But hey, thanks for the draft picks...

Great deal for the Ravens.

@mikeghg

#80 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 January 2022 - 03:41 PM

Considering how long Ozzie did it, I think the jury is still out on EDC with such a small body of work. JMO

I think EDC has done pretty well.  Every GM, makes mistakes, but he has made a lot of creative deals.

Losing 25 guys to the IR has made a lot of coaches and front office people dumb.  I guess.

• BSLMikeFast likes this
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=