3122 replies to this topic

#81 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,768 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 03:50 PM

I am not sold on EDC as GM. I don't think he's bad, but the vast majority of those seasons were with Newsome as GM. I think the value that Newsome got out of the draft was absolutely insane, and I don't think EDC is on the same level.

I have no idea how to divy up the credit, but I do think that it's a fallacy to consider all the drafts through 2018 as 100% Ozzie and the drafts from 2019 onward as 100% DeCosta.  DeCosta was heavily involved in everything but especially the draft before taking over as GM.  Ozzie remains involved since stepping down.

I think it's definitely a demarcation like that over time will be more meaningful, but I don't think it's reasonable to look at it as two completely separate management teams where the successes and failures of one are completely independent of the successes and failures of the other.

• Mike in STL, ivanbalt, bmore_ken and 1 other like this

#82 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:10 PM

I have no idea how to divy up the credit, but I do think that it's a fallacy to consider all the drafts through 2018 as 100% Ozzie and the drafts from 2019 onward as 100% DeCosta. DeCosta was heavily involved in everything but especially the draft before taking over as GM. Ozzie remains involved since stepping down.

I think it's definitely a demarcation like that over time will be more meaningful, but I don't think it's reasonable to look at it as two completely separate management teams where the successes and failures of one are completely independent of the successes and failures of the other.

Exactly.

#83 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, I don't buy that everything was 100% Ozzie prior to 2018.  I think most folks would tell you that the Ravens front office / scouting has always been a collaborative (and usually productive) effort.  Ozzie was in charge and had final say, but he wasn't a dictator by any means.

Also recall that DeCosta turned Kenny Young in to Marcus Peters, a 5th round pick in to Calais Campbell.  Peters was mostly fantastic as far as CBs go his two years here (healthy).  Campbell wasn't his prime years self, but was a damn good DL who made as many big plays as anyone else on the D line, whether they showed up directly in the stat column or not.  And... maybe a stretch, but Ngakoue was a trade acquisition who looked like a sudden bust... then rebounded with 10 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in Vegas this year (and was quoted at some point saying they "let him be himself" or something like that; so it's feasible DeCosta acquired a very good player that Wink didn't fit well in to his system).  

#84 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:48 PM

As Mack said, EDC has always had increaded interest in the draft in particular. Oz always made the final call but the draft has always been EDC's baby. I think EDC is less risk adverse than Oz was. That can pay off big or it can bust.

#85 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:51 PM

Another thing is EDC has had one non covid draft. Being able to get out and scout, have a combine, more games on tape. That stuff can make a difference too. Especially if you pride yourself on being one of the better scouting teams in the league. Of course there also is just time needed to judge a draft. 3 years in we can start seriously evaluating his first class in '19.
  • hallas likes this

#86 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 06:42 PM

I think EDC has done pretty well.  Every GM, makes mistakes, but he has made a lot of creative deals.

Losing 25 guys to the IR has made a lot of coaches and front office people dumb.  I guess.

I think he's done well also. I'm just saying with my comment that you can't judge him on Ozzie's performance when he hasn't been on the job long enough for any real comparison. 

#87 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:06 PM

My biggest gripe with the current regime is too many wasted draft picks. Tylan Wallace in the fourth round. Ben Mason. Shawn Wade. Then there is the lack of difference makers in the first round such as Hayden Hurst. Even Oweh was a bit of a head scratcher. I hate trading back only to get a lesser player and some bum.

#88 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:13 PM

Look back through the Ravens draft history, there aren't a lot of "Wow, they racked up BIG TIME that year" hauls going back many years in to the Newsome regime too. 2 or 3 starters / contributors for any length of time is sorta common.

https://www.pro-foot...s/rav/draft.htm

#89 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:18 PM

My biggest gripe with the current regime is too many wasted draft picks. Tylan Wallace in the fourth round. Ben Mason. Shawn Wade. Then there is the lack of difference makers in the first round such as Hayden Hurst. Even Oweh was a bit of a head scratcher. I hate trading back only to get a lesser player and some bum.

Legit lol

@fuzydunlop

#90 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:22 PM

Someone smart tell me what to think of Oweh? He definitely flashed at times. He’s got big play potential. Forced some fumbles, had 5 sacks. And was helpful to the #1 run defense in the league. But I’m curious how he graded out overall, as well as in the run game. You see there’s so much potential there, so I feel like he could legit explode. But also that overall, this season was a bit underwhelming when just looking at the stats.

#91 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:30 PM

My view is sorta what you said... Oweh flashed some big potential at times and made some plays. Seemed to fade later in the season, which might be common for some rookies. Personally I think he needs to add some muscle. He looks a little thin (relative to a prototypical beast DE). Sometimes the broadcast would focus on him after a play and when you got the profile view, I was sorta surprised by how slim he was up top.

One good year of hitting weights and putting on a little beef in the arms and shoulders, and I think he might finish a little stronger (both on individual plays, and the season as a whole).

As far as tendencies... I noticed him over pursue occasionally and lose containment of the ball carrier. No guarantee that gets better, but he seems like a guy who will work hard and study film and probably start getting more of a feel for when to go and when to hold back a little.
  • You Play to Win the Game and bmore_ken like this

#92 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:43 PM

Wallace was a rookie behind a very good receiving corp. Its also of note that he was active and played. Thats not insignificant as a rookie. Wade they essentially recouped his draft pick after seeing he wasnt going to make the team in camp. Just seems overly critical to bash this rookie class in particular. Again, lets go back to ' 19 and start judging

#93 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 09:02 PM

Wallace was a rookie behind in a very good receiving corp. Its also of note that he was active and played. Thats not insignificant as a rookie. Wade they essentially recouped his draft pick after seeing he wasnt going to make the team in camp. Just seems overly critical to bash this rookie class in particular. Again, lets go back to ' 19 and start judging

Wallace was playing the first couple series Sunday then he got hurt I think. I know some people love Proche but I wonder if Wallace passed him. Anyway first year is way too early to call a 4th rounder a wasted pick.

Hayden Hurst was mentioned, he was 2018. No one should say anything negative about that draft class. But he wasn’t current regime if we’re getting technical.

#94 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 10:16 PM

Btw the '19 class is pretty meh. Brown is a good little WR. He is likely to have his 5th year option picked up so that alone tells you it was a thumbs up pick. The rest of the draft is very suspect. Granted we didnt have a 2nd rounder because of the Lamar trade.

#95 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 14 January 2022 - 02:27 AM

Another thing is EDC has had one non covid draft. Being able to get out and scout, have a combine, more games on tape. That stuff can make a difference too. Especially if you pride yourself on being one of the better scouting teams in the league. Of course there also is just time needed to judge a draft. 3 years in we can start seriously evaluating his first class in '19.

I'll buy the argument that its hard to judge him when 2 drafts were abnormal due to Covid.  We'll see what he does this upcoming draft.  His 2019 draft was Hollywood and not much else.  The team's getting older.  He needs some home run picks.

#96 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 14 January 2022 - 07:12 AM

Wallace was playing the first couple series Sunday then he got hurt I think. I know some people love Proche but I wonder if Wallace passed him. Anyway first year is way too early to call a 4th rounder a wasted pick.

Hayden Hurst was mentioned, he was 2018. No one should say anything negative about that draft class. But he wasn’t current regime if we’re getting technical.

I think Wallace passed Proche only because he plays on STs. Assuming Watkins is gone, I'd expect to see more of Proche next season

#97 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:51 AM

One of my major disappointments this year, is that Proche did not get more run.  I think, he may be that slot guy, we have looked for for years.

@mikeghg

#98 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:38 AM

One of my major disappointments this year, is that Proche did not get more run. I think, he may be that slot guy, we have looked for for years.

Loved what he showed when he did play, which makes it more curious why he didn’t get more run. Unless there’s things he’s doing very poorly I’m not picking up on.

BTW, I wasn’t very popular when I came out hard against the Sammy Watkins signing, but combined with how he played, this type of thing is why I didn’t want to do it, plus, salary allocation, that was a dumb move.
  • cprenegade likes this

#99 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:43 AM

One of my major disappointments this year, is that Proche did not get more run.  I think, he may be that slot guy, we have looked for for years.

Who knows why certain players on this team get buried in roster purgatory with Harbaugh. Its been the case since he got here. After they release Tyson Williams next season, I hope someone signs him and he has a breakout performance. I genuinely hope he gets the last laugh.

#100 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:45 AM

Loved what he showed when he did play, which makes it more curious why he didn’t get more run. Unless there’s things he’s doing very poorly I’m not picking up on.

BTW, I wasn’t very popular when I came out hard against the Sammy Watkins signing, but combined with how he played, this type of thing is why I didn’t want to do it, plus, salary allocation, that was a dumb move.

If you weren't very popular than neither was I.  I criticized it from the beginning.  I said it didn't move the needle much at all in the WR department.  He's always hurt.  Even when he's healthy he doesn't add very much, imo,  

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=