#3021 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 December 2022 - 01:32 PM

I really think had the play to Andrews or Roberts hit, we would have been off to the races.  I guess I am an idiot too though, because had I been calling the plays, especially when we got down 21-6 in the 3rd Q, I would have been passing too.  What no ones mentions, is that the Titans spent a lot  of the game in Cover 0.

Frankly, I promised myself I would not post anymore about that damn game, but I see people kill Roman and Harbaugh over it constantly and I remember things a lot different.  The Oline got whipped, and I think the Titans said after the game that Stanley was tipping the plays.

Once you got down 21-6 with a little over 6 minutes to go, while technically still a 2 possession game, I can certainly understand and will hear the argument for trying to move the ball through the air. On the other hand, one good drive and a TD makes it a one possession game with roughly a quarter of football to go, so you could also argue that sticking with what got you there was still on the table.

To reiterate, my big issue was abandoning the run from the beginning of the 2nd quarter through that 4th and 1 failure at the 10 minute mark of the 3rd qtr. It absolutely seemed like a case of outsmarting yourself.

One more thing to add in regards to coaches overthinking it, trying to reinvent the wheel, etc. I'm watching some highlights from the 2014 season and it's crazy how many times we were in goal to go situations, lined up in I formation, went hard play fake and hit a wide open Owen Daniels for a TD. With the weapons we have at TE and with our running game, why not just use the play fake, throw to the TE in the red zone? That play works a lot and it's historically very successful. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3022 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 02:10 PM

I really think the legend of that game, has been blown way out of proportion.  LJ had a completion % of 66%,, and I think had 36 passing TD against 6 interceptions.in the regular season.  

I was at the game, and watched it on DVR 2 or 3 times.    Going on memory which is probably not good, but I think we ran for north of 175 yards on around 30 carries.  I also want to say we were down 28-6  with over 20 minutes to go in the game.  We also had 3 TO's in that game.  The defense was decent, but allowed Henry to rush for close to 200 yards.

I still think the game turned early.  Lamar overthrew Andrews on a post, very early in the game.  The Titans returned the ball, then scored to take the lead.  The next drive Seth Roberts dropped what IMO would have been an easy TD.  He was wide open, and the Titans were in cover zero.  The call was perfect,  Roberts screwed the play up.

LJ threw another pick for a long return and before people had a chance to cheer we were down 14.  I think if either the Andrews or ROberts play had been successful, the Ravens would have relaxed.

The only time I thought we could get back to the run, was early in the second half.  We got the kick down 14-6 and the drive stalled immediately.  The Titans scored 2 early second half TD's and we were down 28-6.  

I just have to correct one thing on your assessment.  LJ did throw another pick, but it was later in the game.  The Titans went up 14-0 on a long pass play after the Ravens went on 4th and 1 on their own side of the field.  

The only reason I bring it up is because from 1 minute after that game ended I have crucified John Harbaugh for that call and I will continue to do so.  I cannot imagine one of the many coaching greats I have seen over my lifetime of watching football from back as far as when I was a kid in the 70's ever doing such a stupid thing.  

Yeah, I know the Ravens had never missed a 4th down conversion that season, but you always have to weigh the risk and reward and assess what happens if you don't get it.  And past success does not assure future success.  That was the first play of the second quarter and they were only down 7-0.  You could tell the team was jumpy and hadn't yet settled into any kind of rhythm.  Punt the ball and pin Tennessee deep.  Instead, once it was 14-0 you could see the game was different.  The Ravens panicked from the top down and Tennessee felt like they had landed a clear staggering punch to the unstoppable force.  

I'm not saying that the Ravens would have gone on to win that day, maybe they would have continue to make mistakes and lose anyway.  But once they missed that conversion and went down 14-0, you could sense the entire stadium and team went into a clear panic mode.  I still believe it all would have been different with a deep punt.  

• bmore_ken and JStruds like this

#3023 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 05:05 PM

Tannehill hit Kalif Raymond for a 45 yard TD to make it 14-0. That play happened at the 14:45 mark of the 2nd quarter, so literally 3/4 of the game remaining. With that amount of time, a 2 score deficit is not at all insurmountable. From that point forward, the RBs got a grand total of 4 carries. That was simply inexcusable. There was plenty of time to settle the game down, get your bread and butter going, give your defense a minute to catch their collective breath and get back in the ball game.

Instead, we just said, ok Lamar, put us on your back. The sad/funny part was if the WRs performed a little better, he might've brought us all the way back.

Exactly. 14-0 early in the 2nd quarter is not the situation to switch to Tom Brady mode.

#3024 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 09:28 PM

I just have to correct one thing on your assessment.  LJ did throw another pick, but it was later in the game.  The Titans went up 14-0 on a long pass play after the Ravens went on 4th and 1 on their own side of the field.  

The only reason I bring it up is because from 1 minute after that game ended I have crucified John Harbaugh for that call and I will continue to do so.  I cannot imagine one of the many coaching greats I have seen over my lifetime of watching football from back as far as when I was a kid in the 70's ever doing such a stupid thing.  

Yeah, I know the Ravens had never missed a 4th down conversion that season, but you always have to weigh the risk and reward and assess what happens if you don't get it.  And past success does not assure future success.  That was the first play of the second quarter and they were only down 7-0.  You could tell the team was jumpy and hadn't yet settled into any kind of rhythm.  Punt the ball and pin Tennessee deep.  Instead, once it was 14-0 you could see the game was different.  The Ravens panicked from the top down and Tennessee felt like they had landed a clear staggering punch to the unstoppable force.  

I'm not saying that the Ravens would have gone on to win that day, maybe they would have continue to make mistakes and lose anyway.  But once they missed that conversion and went down 14-0, you could sense the entire stadium and team went into a clear panic mode.  I still believe it all would have been different with a deep punt.  

There was the whole psychological factor at play in that game as well. The Ravens were prohibitive favorites; I think the spread was somewhere around minus-10, which is almost unheard of in today's NFL, particularly for a divisional playoff game. In other words, the Ravens were not only expected to win, but to win big. 

The Titans, free from such burdens, could play loose and with abandon. There was no pressure; no one was going to blame them if they fell flat on their faces. They cashed in on a couple of early breaks and suddenly found themselves up, 14-0. They were playing care-free, while the Ravens were playing careless, not completely unexpected from a team which hadn't played in three weeks. They were flat, they made costly mistakes at the worst possible time. Lamar Jackson, who had thrown exactly one interception since Week 6, was picked off twice and fumbled as well.

Eight times that game the Ravens reached Tennessee's 36-yard line or closer and came away with four field goals. And, as you mentioned, panic began to set in when things began to go against them, and they got away from what had worked for them all season. The Ravens came into that game riding a 12-game winning streak and only a handful of those games had been even close. Everything had gone their way. They were due for a bad game and it just happened at the worst possible time. 

I remember talking to a neighbor of mine several days after that game, and he said as he watched the whole thing unfold, all he kept thinking of was Super Bowl III. There were a lot of parallels. 

• Mike B, Mike in STL and cprenegade like this

#3025 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,654 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 January 2023 - 01:27 PM

Anthony Brown was promoted to the 53 man roster.  He was out of call ups from the PS.

Andy Isabella and DT Rayshad  Nichols were elevated from the PS.  It was the second time for Isabella and I think the first for Nichols.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#3026 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,654 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 January 2023 - 06:00 PM

If the Bengals win tonight the Ravens will play at 1 PM, on Sunday, if they lose the game will be 4:15PM on Sunday.

@mikeghg

#3027 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 06:26 PM

If the Bengals win tonight the Ravens will play at 1 PM, on Sunday, if they lose the game will be 4:15PM on Sunday.

I think it's going to be 1 PM and the Bengals will rest most or all of their starters, giving the Ravens an actual opportunity of beating them in Cincinnati.  If it's the other scenario, they'll wipe the field with Baltimore if Lamar is still inactive.  If he plays, it might be close for a half. 

#3028 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,089 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 07:00 PM

I think it's going to be 1 PM and the Bengals will rest most or all of their starters, giving the Ravens an actual opportunity of beating them in Cincinnati. If it's the other scenario, they'll wipe the field with Baltimore if Lamar is still inactive. If he plays, it might be close for a half.

Doubt the Bengals rest guys, they'd still be playing for 2/3 seeding with Buffalo. And if KC loses on Saturday they'll actually be playing for the #1.

#3029 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,483 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 07:03 PM

Doubt the Bengals rest guys, they'd still be playing for 2/3 seeding with Buffalo. And if KC loses on Saturday they'll actually be playing for the #1.

Yup. Cincy has a lot to play for next week regardless of what happens tonight.

#3030 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 02 January 2023 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, that's true.  Wasn't thinking about that. 

#3031 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:36 AM

Hot take alert.... I think Harbs and Bisciotti have already mutually agreed to part ways at the end of the season.

• Mike in STL likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3032 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:39 AM

Hot take alert.... I think Harbs and Bisciotti have already mutually agreed to part ways at the end of the season.

No way.

#3033 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,694 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:39 AM

No way. Not after a winning season featuring your former MVP QB missing the last 4 games and a playoff berth.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3034 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,903 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:46 AM

It'll take 2 or 3 sub .500 disastrous seasons for that to happen.

#3035 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:50 AM

One can only hope... and dream...

#3036 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:54 AM

No way.

The comments about Gus only getting 3 snaps have me completely dumbfounded. There's no logical reason to essentially throw yourself under the bus over a glaring personnel issue unless you're already out the door.

@primetime667083

#3037 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,089 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:56 AM

The comments about Gus only getting 3 snaps have me completely dumbfounded. There's no logical reason to essentially throw yourself under the bus over a glaring personnel issue unless you're already out the door.

What's dumbfounding about it? He's not involved in offensive personnel. That's by his choice and the design of his staff. Rightly or wrongly, he grants autonomy to the coordinators.

He of course could notice and discuss it mid-game to fix a problem, and it's ultimately on him if he doesn't. But it's not surprising to me that it's someone other than Harbaugh deciding on personnel packages mid-game.

#3038 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 January 2023 - 09:59 AM

What's dumbfounding about it? He's not involved in offensive personnel. That's by his choice and the design of his staff. Rightly or wrongly, he grants autonomy to the coordinators.

He of course could notice and discuss it mid-game to fix a problem, and it's ultimately on him if he doesn't. But it's not surprising to me that it's someone other than Harbaugh deciding on personnel packages mid-game.

We just see it differently then. We know the gameplan was to run the ball and they ran the ball to the point of being stubborn and predictable about it. And the Steelers consistently played 6 defensive linemen, yet our power back that almost never goes down at first contact barely plays. Then, you tacitly throw your embattled OC under the bus and plead ignorance to the media? It's a very bad look, IMO and reeks of something weird. 

@primetime667083

#3039 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,089 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 10:10 AM

We just see it differently then. We know the gameplan was to run the ball and they ran the ball to the point of being stubborn and predictable about it. And the Steelers consistently played 6 defensive linemen, yet our power back that almost never goes down at first contact barely plays. Then, you tacitly throw your embattled OC under the bus and plead ignorance to the media? It's a very bad look, IMO and reeks of something weird. 

I don't think he was throwing his OC under the bus.  He admitted to a mistake.  Shouldn't have made the mistake, but it was made, so acknowledge it and fix it moving forward.  Better than denying that it was even a problem.

Conspiracy theories are usually fun, and yours here is harmless, but I think you're reading way more into a relatively usual course of Ravens business.

#3040 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 03 January 2023 - 10:21 AM

On the topic of the 2019 season divisional game vs TEN, yes they fell behind by 14 points VERY early in the second quarter. Not because TEN came out of the gates gashing them on defense, but a short field off a tipped pass INT, and another short field (mid field) off the failed 4th and 1 try.  I turned to my neighbor before the next TEN snap by the way and said "they're going to have Tannehill take a deep shot here", and wouldn't you know it, Wink had no safety help back there to try to take away the fairly common practice of "take a deep shot off a turnover near midfield".

PIT trailed by 10 midway through the 3rd quarter a couple nights ago, but DID NOT abandon their run game.  Down 14 with basically 45 minutes to go, or down 10 with 25 minutes to go, not a HUGE difference if you ask me.  As I pointed out before, PIT even had 5 rushing attempts out of their 11 offensive snaps on their last minute go ahead TD drive.  They even managed to run AND still keep a hurry up pace at times.

One coaching staff panicked and went completely away from their biggest strength.  One stuck with what they thought would serve them best.  Personally, I don't care if they were down 21 or 24 in the second quarter that game, for Gus and Mark to get 9 carries total is ineptitude and incompetence.  Asking Lamar to drop back over 60 times to throw, and have 20 rushing attempts, is gross malpractice.  Everything that it appeared Roman was doing right given his personnel went out the window that day, and it's been a too often recurring theme ever since with him.  It's strange.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=