3122 replies to this topic

#3001 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 07:59 PM

Mostly passing yards and they lost. What does that tell you?

It doesn’t tell you anything.

What does the top 6 Quarterbacks in passing yards are currently in the playoffs tell you?

The same thing, nothing.

So many more factors lead to the final outcomes of games.
  • makoman likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#3002 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 08:00 PM

So, basically what you guys are saying is that the Ravens will be one and done because they can't possibly win a play-off game running the ball 40+ times.  That's fine.  I'm sure Harbaugh and Roman agree with you and you'll probably see who's ever at quarterback throwing the ball all over God's creation once they get behind by a touchdown.  Then, things will snowball and they'll get blown out.  Fair enough. That certainly wouldn't surprise me.  All I'm saying is if they have ANY chance of advancing beyond the first play-off game, it will have to be via the ground attack.  And I mean, lot's of it.  If you guys are OK with a quick exit, then sure, by all means, throw the ball 30 or more times.  When it happens, don't say I didn't warn you. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#3003 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 08:04 PM

So, basically what you guys are saying is that the Ravens will be one and done because they can't possibly win a play-off game running the ball 40+ times.  That's fine.  I'm sure Harbaugh and Roman agree with you and you'll probably see who's ever at quarterback throwing the ball all over God's creation once they get behind by a touchdown.  Then, things will snowball and they'll get blown out.  Fair enough. That certainly wouldn't surprise me.  All I'm saying is if they have ANY chance of advancing beyond the first play-off game, it will have to be via the ground attack.  And I mean, lot's of it.  If you guys are OK with a quick exit, then sure, by all means, throw the ball 30 or more times.  When it happens, don't say I didn't warn you. 

Yup. You can be run heavy,  work the clock and pass when you need it. Every second of clock used with the run game is a second less  for Mahomes or Allen to do what they do.

• jamesdean likes this

#3004 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 08:18 PM

Well, I won't speak for anyone else, but what I'm saying is that your suggested strategy is an oversimplification of the game of football, particularly against good teams with quality players and coaches who will scheme against it. Even more so with no threat of passing the ball, or any WR capable of consistently winning off the line.

Suggesting the only other option is to go pass heavy is a false dichotomy. It's not what anybody is even arguing.

There's plenty written out there about the Titans using tite/mint fronts in the 2019 playoffs to combat the Ravens run game. Roman went too pass happy, too early, but to hear some people around here tell it, they should've just ran for 5 yards a pop the rest of the game for an easy win. As if that's realistic.

Good coaches will put together a gameplan, maybe even something the Ravens haven't seen this season. And if that were to happen successfully, and Huntley were starting, they're screwed.

• makoman likes this

#3005 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 08:27 PM

I wouldn't mind getting the 5 seed and traveling to Jacksonville or Tennessee but I don't think that scenario is likely. With the Chargers only a game behind us and finishing with the Rams and Broncos if we lose another game and they win out they get the 5 seed over us. The odds are really against the Chargers losing so I think the Ravens end up as either the 3 or the 6 seed.

#3006 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 08:29 PM

Well, I won't speak for anyone else, but what I'm saying is that your suggested strategy is an oversimplification of the game of football, particularly against good teams with quality players and coaches who will scheme against it. Even more so with no threat of passing the ball, or any WR capable of consistently winning off the line.

Suggesting the only other option is to go pass heavy is a false dichotomy. It's not what anybody is even arguing.

There's plenty written out there about the Titans using tite/mint fronts in the 2019 playoffs to combat the Ravens run game. Roman went too pass happy, too early, but to hear some people around here tell it, they should've just ran for 5 yards a pop the rest of the game for an easy win. As if that's realistic.

Good coaches will put together a gameplan, maybe even something the Ravens haven't seen this season. And if that were to happen successfully, and Huntley were starting, they're screwed.

Well, that much is true.  But you best believe I'd go down with them having to stop my greatest strength, not the weakest. 

#3007 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 09:31 PM

No, I would actually say a run/pass mixture of 40+/20-25 is exactly what they should be aiming for.  What I'm saying is that they need to be successful at situational football which is going to require at least some passing.  The problem is when you end up with 4th downs in the red zone, if you can't pass at all you are going to end up with a lot of three's, or in Harbaugh's case, some three's and some turn the ball over on downs.  

Trading 3's for 7's with KC, Buffalo, or probably even Cincinnati is only going to end in a loss.  You are probably right that running the ball a lot is the only chance the Ravens have, but then that's not much of a chance once the competition gets better.  So the end result is likely a quick exit no matter what they try and that's because the FO went into this season with no realistic WR plan.  Whether it's Lamar or Huntley, neither is a great passing QB so it is essential that you at least give them weapons to help make them better.  That's not the coaches fault.  They can only work with what they were given.  

• jamesdean likes this

#3008 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 05:35 AM

Well, that much is true. But you best believe I'd go down with them having to stop my greatest strength, not the weakest.

Bingo!!!!!!

#3009 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 09:23 AM

Not at all. Last week the backs were dominating. The problem is getting Roman to stick with that. A strong run game and TOP is a winner without any 80 yard plays. 

What I've noticed these last several games is when we are running the ball well with great runs, Roman is ok with it. Then on the next 1st down we get 2 yrds, then its pass, pass, He did it the last game on the 2nd to last series. They needed to run clock. 2 yrds on 1st down, then pass, pass. He panics way to often where another run play could get them a manageable 3rd & 4 or 5, instead of 3rd & 8.

• jamesdean and bmore_ken like this

#3010 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 December 2022 - 10:56 AM

Whether we run or pass, none of it matters if we don't find a way to execute better in the red zone. We absolutely must improve our red zone efficiency if we're going to do anything in the post season. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3011 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 11:08 AM

Bingo!!!!!!

Yet you point to all the passing yards in the 2019 TEN game, while LJ was MVP and led the league in passing TDs. While the run game was historic that year, passing was not a weakness for them either.

That offense was humming in both areas. Sam Koch hardly had to do anything.
@BSLMikeRandall

#3012 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 December 2022 - 11:12 AM

Yet you point to all the passing yards in the 2019 TEN game, while LJ was MVP and led the league in passing TDs. While the run game was historic that year, passing was not a weakness for them either.

Wasn't there a polar opposite of the 2000 no offensive TD's streak in 2019 - where Koch went a few games I believe without even having to punt?

#3013 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 11:20 AM

Wasn't there a polar opposite of the 2000 no offensive TD's streak in 2019 - where Koch went a few games I believe without even having to punt?

Koch had 80 or more punts in a season 7 times, but just 40 in 2019, that's crazy. 1 game with 0, 3 games with 1, plus 1 punt in the Tenn game.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mike in STL like this

#3014 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 11:54 AM

Lamar was definitely feasting on play-action that year.  That's another element to the passing attack that's been non-existent since Huntley took over. 

#3015 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 December 2022 - 11:58 AM

Lamar was definitely feasting on play-action that year.  That's another element to the passing attack that's been non-existent since Huntley took over. 

I've mentioned this in another thread but the diamond pistol formation should make a comeback. If you can create doubt for the defense, it can help the offense tremendously and have 3 guys in the backfield surrounding the QB, who knows where the ball is going? Hand off left? Hand off right? Play action pass? Fake handoff and QB keeper? So many possibilities spring from that formation and we executed it so well, yet, for whatever reason, it's seemingly disappeared from the offensive gameplan. I guess we're "evolving". 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#3016 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 December 2022 - 12:13 PM

I really think the legend of that game, has been blown way out of proportion.  LJ had a completion % of 66%,, and I think had 36 passing TD against 6 interceptions.in the regular season.  

I was at the game, and watched it on DVR 2 or 3 times.    Going on memory which is probably not good, but I think we ran for north of 175 yards on around 30 carries.  I also want to say we were down 28-6  with over 20 minutes to go in the game.  We also had 3 TO's in that game.  The defense was decent, but allowed Henry to rush for close to 200 yards.

I still think the game turned early.  Lamar overthrew Andrews on a post, very early in the game.  The Titans returned the ball, then scored to take the lead.  The next drive Seth Roberts dropped what IMO would have been an easy TD.  He was wide open, and the Titans were in cover zero.  The call was perfect,  Roberts screwed the play up.

LJ threw another pick for a long return and before people had a chance to cheer we were down 14.  I think if either the Andrews or ROberts play had been successful, the Ravens would have relaxed.

The only time I thought we could get back to the run, was early in the second half.  We got the kick down 14-6 and the drive stalled immediately.  The Titans scored 2 early second half TD's and we were down 28-6.  

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#3017 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 December 2022 - 12:38 PM

I really think the legend of that game, has been blown way out of proportion.  LJ had a completion % of 66%,, and I think had 36 passing TD against 6 interceptions.in the regular season.  

I was at the game, and watched it on DVR 2 or 3 times.    Going on memory which is probably not good, but I think we ran for north of 175 yards on around 30 carries.  I also want to say we were down 28-6  with over 20 minutes to go in the game.  We also had 3 TO's in that game.  The defense was decent, but allowed Henry to rush for close to 200 yards.

I still think the game turned early.  Lamar overthrew Andrews on a post, very early in the game.  The Titans returned the ball, then scored to take the lead.  The next drive Seth Roberts dropped what IMO would have been an easy TD.  He was wide open, and the Titans were in cover zero.  The call was perfect,  Roberts screwed the play up.

LJ threw another pick for a long return and before people had a chance to cheer we were down 14.  I think if either the Andrews or ROberts play had been successful, the Ravens would have relaxed.

The only time I thought we could get back to the run, was early in the second half.  We got the kick down 14-6 and the drive stalled immediately.  The Titans scored 2 early second half TD's and we were down 28-6.  

No to rehash it all again but here's what we have....the rushing numbers were essentially all Lamar on scrambles; 20 carries for 143 yards. The RBs had a combined 9 carries for 42 yards. Lamar was a one man wrecking crew, even with 4-5 blatant drops. And even on the early throw to Andrews that ended up as a pick, Andrews put hands on it and the deflection went right to the Titans defender. A slight overthrow but more often than not, that pass falls incomplete. We also failed on 4th and 1 twice but in the regular season, we averaged 4.3 yds/carry on 4th downs. One of those 4th and 1 failures was at the 10:01 mark of the 3rd qtr when we trailed 14-6.

Things from a play calling standpoint went wonky after the first 4th and 1 failure; Tannehill hit Kalif Raymond for a 45 yard TD to make it 14-0. That play happened at the 14:45 mark of the 2nd quarter, so literally 3/4 of the game remaining. With that amount of time, a 2 score deficit is not at all insurmountable. From that point forward, the RBs got a grand total of 4 carries. That was simply inexcusable. There was plenty of time to settle the game down, get your bread and butter going, give your defense a minute to catch their collective breath and get back in the ball game.

Instead, we just said, ok Lamar, put us on your back. The sad/funny part was if the WRs performed a little better, he might've brought us all the way back.

• bmore_ken likes this
@primetime667083

#3018 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 01:06 PM

I've mentioned this in another thread but the diamond pistol formation should make a comeback. If you can create doubt for the defense, it can help the offense tremendously and have 3 guys in the backfield surrounding the QB, who knows where the ball is going? Hand off left? Hand off right? Play action pass? Fake handoff and QB keeper? So many possibilities spring from that formation and we executed it so well, yet, for whatever reason, it's seemingly disappeared from the offensive gameplan. I guess we're "evolving". 

I guess that's a little too obvious for Roman.  One of his main weaknesses as a play caller is that he outsmarts himself way too much. Tries to get cute at the worst possible times and is too enamored with the "take what the defense gives you" school of thought.  Harbaugh isn't going to do it but someone needs to remind him every now and then what the team's strengths are and to ride that for 4 quarters. Quit worrying about what the opposing team might be thinking or doing and just consistently punish them with your bread and butter, namely the running game.  If he listened to that voice in his head, things would be so much more productive. 

#3019 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 December 2022 - 01:17 PM

No to rehash it all again but here's what we have....the rushing numbers were essentially all Lamar on scrambles; 20 carries for 143 yards. The RBs had a combined 9 carries for 42 yards. Lamar was a one man wrecking crew, even with 4-5 blatant drops. And even on the early throw to Andrews that ended up as a pick, Andrews put hands on it and the deflection went right to the Titans defender. A slight overthrow but more often than not, that pass falls incomplete. We also failed on 4th and 1 twice but in the regular season, we averaged 4.3 yds/carry on 4th downs. One of those 4th and 1 failures was at the 10:01 mark of the 3rd qtr when we trailed 14-6.

Things from a play calling standpoint went wonky after the first 4th and 1 failure; Tannehill hit Kalif Raymond for a 45 yard TD to make it 14-0. That play happened at the 14:45 mark of the 2nd quarter, so literally 3/4 of the game remaining. With that amount of time, a 2 score deficit is not at all insurmountable. From that point forward, the RBs got a grand total of 4 carries. That was simply inexcusable. There was plenty of time to settle the game down, get your bread and butter going, give your defense a minute to catch their collective breath and get back in the ball game.

Instead, we just said, ok Lamar, put us on your back. The sad/funny part was if the WRs performed a little better, he might've brought us all the way back.

I really think had the play to Andrews or Roberts hit, we would have been off to the races.  I guess I am an idiot too though, because had I been calling the plays, especially when we got down 21-6 in the 3rd Q, I would have been passing too.  What no ones mentions, is that the Titans spent a lot  of the game in Cover 0.

Frankly, I promised myself I would not post anymore about that damn game, but I see people kill Roman and Harbaugh over it constantly and I remember things a lot different.  The Oline got whipped, and I think the Titans said after the game that Stanley was tipping the plays.

• PrimeTime likes this
@mikeghg

#3020 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 30 December 2022 - 01:29 PM

I really think had the play to Andrews or Roberts hit, we would have been off to the races.  I guess I am an idiot too though, because had I been calling the plays, especially when we got down 21-6 in the 3rd Q, I would have been passing too.  What no ones mentions, is that the Titans spent a lot  of the game in Cover 0.

Frankly, I promised myself I would not post anymore about that damn game, but I see people kill Roman and Harbaugh over it constantly and I remember things a lot different.  The Oline got whipped, and I think the Titans said after the game that Stanley was tipping the plays.

I thought that was the Chargers playoff game Lamar's rookie year, but who knows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=