#2701 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 06:25 PM

My opinion, or the weird stats?

The stats.  I just don't get the disconnect of playing great, defensive football for 50+ minutes and then stink the field up during the final 4 minutes of each half?  It can't all be McDonald. 

#2702 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 07:01 PM

The stats. I just don't get the disconnect of playing great, defensive football for 50+ minutes and then stink the field up during the final 4 minutes of each half? It can't be all McDonald.

The end of the Jacksonville game, the DBs were basically all playing 10+ yards off the LOS at the snap on a lot of those snaps, only Humphrey was on the line. I get the whole "Peters isn't his old self" aspect but they play a different scheme late in halves / games. They did it at the end of the first half at PIT last Sunday, and PIT walked down the field in no time flat, but Trubisky pulled a Trubisky. THAT aspect is absolutely McDonald's doing.

#2703 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,297 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 07:20 PM

The end of the Jacksonville game, the DBs were basically all playing 10+ yards off the LOS at the snap on a lot of those snaps, only Humphrey was on the line. I get the whole "Peters isn't his old self" aspect but they play a different scheme late in halves / games. They did it at the end of the first half at PIT last Sunday, and PIT walked down the field in no time flat, but Trubisky pulled a Trubisky. THAT aspect is absolutely McDonald's doing.

So where's Harbs during the repeated ineptitude of those schemes?  Like, "hey listen, if you run that scheme one more time, I'm going to choke the life out of you."  As loose of a cannon as Peters is, I'm surprised he hasn't had a post game meltdown about it. 

#2704 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 16 December 2022 - 07:43 PM

The stats. I just don't get the disconnect of playing great, defensive football for 50+ minutes and then stink the field up during the final 4 minutes of each half? It can't all be McDonald.

Very puzzling. Almost certainly shared issues such as coaching, communication, over confidence and etc. Hopefully it evens out over the remaining games.

#2705 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 08:22 PM

So where's Harbs during the repeated ineptitude of those schemes?  Like, "hey listen, if you run that scheme one more time, I'm going to choke the life out of you."  As loose of a cannon as Peters is, I'm surprised he hasn't had a post game meltdown about it. 

He's busy deciding if he should challenge the spot for an extra half yard.

• Mike in STL likes this

#2706 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 12:08 AM

Good question. It's my biggest gripe with him. He's a bystander, a spectator, a cheerleader. The media gives him a free pass, and has for a long time, because of their overall record. I firmly believe they could achieve more with a better game day coach directing traffic more.

#2707 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 07:58 AM

Good question. It's my biggest gripe with him. He's a bystander, a spectator, a cheerleader. The media gives him a free pass, and has for a long time, because of their overall record. I firmly believe they could achieve more with a better game day coach directing traffic more.

Agree that Harbaugh isn't a major asset on Game Day, but he's always seemed really great at the Monday to Saturday part. That is also reflected in the record.

Certainly fair to criticize his flaws, and even consider them fireable if you don't think he can or will improve on those long-standing flaws, but I think it's very optimistic thinking to believe that a new coach would match Harbaugh's strengths and simultaneously improve upon his weakness. You'd likely be picking a stronger playcaller with weaker management type skills. Maybe you do better overall, maybe not.

#2708 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 17 December 2022 - 08:31 AM

At the end of the game against Denver, it looked like we played straight up defense and it still didn't matter. Now, sometimes you have to credit the other team for making plays because they're in the NFL and they get paid, too. However, this issue has been around for quite a while and preceded Macdonald's arrival.

When you look around the league, it's remarkable how much scoring occurs in the last 2 minutes of halves and games. I don't know if defenses are scared of getting a critical penalty or what but it certainly seems like no lead is safe anymore.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2709 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 17 December 2022 - 08:38 AM

Agree that Harbaugh isn't a major asset on Game Day, but he's always seemed really great at the Monday to Saturday part. That is also reflected in the record.

Certainly fair to criticize his flaws, and even consider them fireable if you don't think he can or will improve on those long-standing flaws, but I think it's very optimistic thinking to believe that a new coach would match Harbaugh's strengths and simultaneously improve upon his weakness. You'd likely be picking a stronger playcaller with weaker management type skills. Maybe you do better overall, maybe not.

As fans, we can only speculate on the mechanics of the sideline operations on gameday. So in fairness to Harbs, we don't know what input he may or may not provide. 

Say what you want about Harbaugh but his teams have always played hard, regardless of circumstances and we've won a lot of games since he took over in 2008. This isn't to assert that Harbaugh is infallible by any means but the grass isn't always greener. 

• JStruds likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2710 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 December 2022 - 10:33 AM

Which should bode well these next 2 games.

#2711 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 02:11 PM

Bowser apparently posted a video of Fire Greg Roman "signs" that someone scattered around. Zooming in on them so you could read it easily. Several times.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#2712 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 05:54 PM

Bowser apparently posted a video of Fire Greg Roman "signs" that someone scattered around. Zooming in on them so you could read it easily. Several times.

Not a good look.

I'm sure that side of the ball is frustrated. They've given up 36 points the last 3 weeks, and have been lucky to go 2-1 in those games. But you also didn't see Andrews showing videos of signs that say 'Fire Macdonald' after the defense has blown games this season.
  • BSLChrisStoner, DuffMan and cprenegade like this

#2713 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 07:13 PM

As fans, we can only speculate on the mechanics of the sideline operations on gameday. So in fairness to Harbs, we don't know what input he may or may not provide. 

Say what you want about Harbaugh but his teams have always played hard, regardless of circumstances and we've won a lot of games since he took over in 2008. This isn't to assert that Harbaugh is infallible by any means but the grass isn't always greener. 

Harbaugh has also had multiple years with either a talented roster failing to make the playoffs or
an early playoff exit. He has only two playoff wins since the 2012 SB. Two, in ten years! 2019 was their best chance by a country mile, yet we all know what happened that year.

This year is shaping up like typical Harbaugh football. They still need to win one, maybe two, more just to make the playoffs. If it comes down to that final game and they fall short yet again, I hope Biscotti cleans house.

Regarding Huntley, if he is so bad why is he on the roster? That's a Harbaugh decision. Look what Brock Purdy is doing in SF. Shanahan has coached him up and did a great job. The kid looks prepared. Huntley, like so many other Raven players under Harbaugh, is crapping the bed. This ready to play narrative is a myth. Maybe early Harbaugh teams that was true. In the past ten years I just see underachieving teams with injury excuses. Time for Harbaugh to go.
  • Tranquil1 likes this

#2714 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 08:25 PM

I find that to be a very bad sign, depending on why he posted it.  The one thing I don't ever remember the Ravens doing is turning against themselves in the locker room.  That never ends well.  Harbaugh is in danger of losing this team if that is going on.  

And as was said above, the offense could easily say when you explain what happened against Miami or Jacksonville then you can point fingers.  If there is any finger pointing going on, Harbaugh better get it under control quickly.  I would consider a fine and/or suspension for Bowser unless there is some other explanation for why he posted it.   There is no place for this.   

#2715 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 08:38 PM

Harbaugh has also had multiple years with either a talented roster failing to make the playoffs or
an early playoff exit. He has only two playoff wins since the 2012 SB. Two, in ten years! 2019 was their best chance by a country mile, yet we all know what happened that year.

This year is shaping up like typical Harbaugh football. They still need to win one, maybe two, more just to make the playoffs. If it comes down to that final game and they fall short yet again, I hope Biscotti cleans house.

Regarding Huntley, if he is so bad why is he on the roster? That's a Harbaugh decision. Look what Brock Purdy is doing in SF. Shanahan has coached him up and did a great job. The kid looks prepared. Huntley, like so many other Raven players under Harbaugh, is crapping the bed. This ready to play narrative is a myth. Maybe early Harbaugh teams that was true. In the past ten years I just see underachieving teams with injury excuses. Time for Harbaugh to go.

Doesn’t change the point but I feel like getting the first round bye should count for a win. Or something. Flacco having the most road playoff wins is…something. It just means Brady, Manning, Montana, won their division and were best in conference a lot more.

Somehow they are 2-1 without LJ. Hasn’t been pretty. The kickers canceled each other out last night. Even if they convert those 4th downs, no guarantee it puts points on the board. I’m just going to count our lucky stars and get back to being critical when LJ is back.

Agree on Huntley. Not just Purdy, but look at Cooper Rush when Dak Prescott went down early on. Went 4-1, pretty convincingly? Huntley is not good. I would have liked someone real to challenge him for the backup role, like drafting a QB instead of a punter (a bad one by the way) in round 4.

I think they like the story that he knows LJ from high school. They like guys with stories a lot lately, that really don’t mean anything. John Urschel, Keenan Reynolds. Others I’m blanking on at the moment.
@BSLMikeRandall

#2716 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:01 PM

There's a reason why Huntley wasn't drafted. And it's definitely time for Harbaugh to go. Past time. 

#2717 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:02 PM

I think he's as close to "losing the locker room" as he's probably ever been. Andrews and others have been demonstrative on the field a few times about play clock issues (you can see it better in person at home games). Peters had to be restrained a few weeks back, and coaching decisions earlier in the game were why. Bowser is posting a video of Fire Greg Roman signs. Something has to change...

#2718 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:03 PM

Last time Harbs lost the locker room it worked out pretty well.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#2719 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:03 PM

How many years did they keep RG3 around with literally zero arm strength?

#2720 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 19 December 2022 - 01:21 AM

How many years did they keep RG3 around with literally zero arm strength?

Wait, RG3 looks like Nolan Ryan next to Huntley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=