#2661 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 06 December 2022 - 05:02 PM

Random observation......I mentioned last week that I watched the 2000 divisional round game against the Titans. In that game, Rob Burnett sniffed out of a screen, leapt to block the pass, deflected it back to McNair who instinctually caught it and was subsequently tackled for a big loss.

In the 2020 wild card game against the Titans, Jihad Ward sniffed out a screen, leapt to block the pass, deflected it back to Tannehill who instinctually caught and was subsequently tackled for a big loss.

Kinda weird.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2662 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 December 2022 - 11:03 AM

Good to see Stanley as a full participant and also good to see Dobbins on the practice field.

With that said, what's the hold up with Ojabo? I know the Ravens are tight lipped on injuries but maybe the achilles repair is just not ready yet?

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2663 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 12:24 PM

Good to see Stanley as a full participant and also good to see Dobbins on the practice field.

With that said, what's the hold up with Ojabo? I know the Ravens are tight lipped on injuries but maybe the achilles repair is just not ready yet?

You know Harbaugh.  Ojabo's probably not practicing well enough. 

#2664 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 December 2022 - 12:54 PM

I can't shake the feeling that the Ravens are a bit of rudderless ship at the moment. Another season is hanging by a thread because of health, the superstar quarterback is amongst those injured and without a contract extension to secure his future, the offensive coordinator is under heavy fire because his side of the ball has stagnated and lacks creativity, the head coach is in the crosshairs of some fans for allowing the offensive ineptitude to continue, the GM is being criticized for not doing enough to help his star quarterback and the defense, the long standing identity of the franchise, while improved, is still prone to late collapses and has already cost the team a few victories. A good chunk of the season has felt quite un-Raven like and the only way this team can shake off the negative perception is to go on a late season run. And they would have to do so without their best player.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@primetime667083

#2665 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 01:18 PM

I can't shake the feeling that the Ravens are a bit of rudderless ship at the moment. Another season is hanging by a thread because of health, the superstar quarterback is amongst those injured and without a contract extension to secure his future, the offensive coordinator is under heavy fire because his side of the ball has stagnated and lacks creativity, the head coach is in the crosshairs of some fans for allowing the offensive ineptitude to continue, the GM is being criticized for not doing enough to help his star quarterback and the defense, the long standing identity of the franchise, while improved, is still prone to late collapses and has already cost the team a few victories. A good chunk of the season has felt quite un-Raven like and the only way this team can shake off the negative perception is to go on a late season run. And they would have to do so without their best player.

It doesn't feel good that's for sure. The team felt like it was in a good place after the 2nd half of the Bucs game and the Saints game, and that's all been pissed away since the bye.

The only consolation is that the schedule should still be weak enough to limp into the playoffs, and the primary injured guys are not (so far) out for the year, so there's still a chance the roster could come together just in time for a playoff run. If so, of the group that would be in today, they've already beaten the Bengals and Jets, probably should have beaten the Bills and Dolphins, and likely match up well with the Titans. Maybe someone else can take out the Chiefs and they get a few bounces in the playoffs for once.

Not that such a run is feeling likely or anything. 

#2666 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:00 PM

Fan wise, probably the most unlikeable 8-4 team in recent memory.  I seriously doubt anyone thinks they're a legitimate Super Bowl contender. 

#2667 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:02 PM

The Baltimore mindset strikes again.

#2668 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:41 PM

The Baltimore mindset strikes again.

I consider myself an optimist when it comes to my sports fandom but even with purple colored glasses on, can you say this team is in a good place right now? This isn't the typical chip on our shoulder, the media doesn't believe in us schtick, this is looking as objectively at the situation as I can.

@primetime667083

#2669 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:44 PM

I consider myself an optimist when it comes to my sports fandom but even with purple colored glasses on, can you say this team is in a good place right now? This isn't the typical chip on our shoulder, the media doesn't believe in us schtick, this is looking as objectively at the situation as I can.

No they arent in a good place but IMO thats overwhelmingly because of Lamars injury and the uncertainty over if and when he will return.

#2670 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 02:55 PM

I agree, as just said.

Still, no one would have mistaken the team 10 years as a contender as late as week 15. Ray was hurt and it wasn't exactly clear he was coming back. Ed was old. Suggs was playing but was like 6 months from an achilles tear. They lost to 38 year old Charlie Batch, lost to a 4 win Eagles team that got Andy Reid fired, and should have lost to a 2 win Chiefs team. Sure they beat the Pats by 1 at home, but got destroyed by the other real contenders of the AFC--the Texans whooped them by 30 and the Broncos were beating them 31-3 after 3 quarters. So hey, just get to the playoffs sorta healthy and who knows. 

#2671 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 03:35 PM

I agree, as just said.

Still, no one would have mistaken the team 10 years as a contender as late as week 15. Ray was hurt and it wasn't exactly clear he was coming back. Ed was old. Suggs was playing but was like 6 months from an achilles tear. They lost to 38 year old Charlie Batch, lost to a 4 win Eagles team that got Andy Reid fired, and should have lost to a 2 win Chiefs team. Sure they beat the Pats by 1 at home, but got destroyed by the other real contenders of the AFC--the Texans whooped them by 30 and the Broncos were beating them 31-3 after 3 quarters. So hey, just get to the playoffs sorta healthy and who knows. 

All true but I think the thing that disturbs me about this team is they still don't have an offensive identity.  It's like they are perpetually in this in between world of "are we a run team?", "are we a pass team?".  We're 13 weeks into the season and who could even try to answer that?  I guess you could say they need to be both but realistically, are they capable of that dual attack?  Even with Lamar at quarterback, I don't see any consistency.  Who knows, maybe the defense will be what leads them to the promised land but how can you even trust that with all the late game collapses?  Sorry, this is not a Super Bowl team.  Not by a long shot.  But they still have 5 more games to right the ship and it begins this week.  "Will the real Ravens offense, please stand up!" 

#2672 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 08 December 2022 - 03:51 PM

No they arent in a good place but IMO thats overwhelmingly because of Lamars injury and the uncertainty over if and when he will return.

I kind of think that goes beyond that because of his contract situation and the fact that we are missing a lot of complementary personnel at other positions under team control.

#2673 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:40 PM

I agree, as just said.

I feel like the 2012 Ravens had a core group with a better track record; 4 consecutive post season appearances, 5 playoff victories, 2 AFC title appearances. The current group had the dominant 2019, a good 2020 and an injury riddled 2021, to go with limited post season success. 

Bear in mind, any team can get hot. I don't think anyone believes that the 2007 or 2011 Giants were the best team in the league but they got hot at the right time. If, and it's big if, the key guys can get healthy, the Ravens could certainly get hot at the right time. It's not as if the current Ravens are bereft of talent or anything like that, it just hasn't seemed to come together at any point this year. Whether it's injuries, inconsistent play or both, it's just seemed like a grind this year. 

I will keep tuning in and rooting like hell but I don't feel the same about this team as I did when camp broke.

@primetime667083

#2674 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 06:36 PM

I feel like the 2012 Ravens had a core group with a better track record; 4 consecutive post season appearances, 5 playoff victories, 2 AFC title appearances. The current group had the dominant 2019, a good 2020 and an injury riddled 2021, to go with limited post season success. 

Bear in mind, any team can get hot. I don't think anyone believes that the 2007 or 2011 Giants were the best team in the league but they got hot at the right time. If, and it's big if, the key guys can get healthy, the Ravens could certainly get hot at the right time. It's not as if the current Ravens are bereft of talent or anything like that, it just hasn't seemed to come together at any point this year. Whether it's injuries, inconsistent play or both, it's just seemed like a grind this year. 

I will keep tuning in and rooting like hell but I don't feel the same about this team as I did when camp broke.

The fact that this team has screwed up like 5 games due to being the most unclutch team in the history of the NFL doesn't really help.

#2675 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 06:41 PM

The fact that this team has screwed up like 5 games due to being the most unclutch team in the history of the NFL doesn't really help.

DVOA doesn't measure that.

#2676 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 06:50 PM

DVOA doesn't measure that.

I genuinely think that in like 99.99% of cases there is no such thing as a clutch-ness attribute.

This Ravens team has to be the 1 in 10000.

#2677 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 07:47 PM

Since 1995, teams were 0-206 when committing two turnovers, forcing none, and scoring no more than ten points.

Ravens made that 1-206, and are only the 8th team in history to win under those circumstances.

So does that cancel out the loss to Miami?
@BSLMikeRandall

#2678 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 07:51 PM

Since 1995, teams were 0-206 when committing two turnovers, forcing none, and scoring no more than ten points.

Ravens made that 1-206, and are only the 8th team in history to win under those circumstances.

So does that cancel out the loss to Miami?

Nope.  I doubt our win percentage even on the 4th down conversion attempts on the final drive dropped nearly as low as Miami's was in the 4th quarter.

• Mike in STL likes this

#2679 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 12:24 AM

https://www.espn.com...ns-next-2-games

If Lamar isnt going to be his former self or particularly close to it the season is over. Essentially. Might be able to get to 10 wins and the playoffs no matter how many games Lamar plays but he has to be his normal self for us to have a chance

#2680 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 01:09 AM

https://www.espn.com...ns-next-2-games

If Lamar isnt going to be his former self or particularly close to it the season is over. Essentially. Might be able to get to 10 wins and the playoffs no matter how many games Lamar plays but he has to be his normal self for us to have a chance

We're gonna be fine. Stop worrying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=