5723 replies to this topic

#1161 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:45 AM

I don’t buy that that has anything to do with anything.

Phillip Rivers had a nice career and couldn’t beat measly old Maryland in five tries.

I agree, college is a totally different thing than the pros. One has nothing to do with the other. 

#1162 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:46 AM

Well he isnt coming off that hill and he will likely play for someone else eventually so congrats I guess

Your narrative that I hate him is both tired and wrong.

#1163 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 07:55 AM

Well he isnt coming off that hill and he will likely play for someone else eventually so congrats I guess

I don't buy that. As Halas said, you can sign him with a $180-$200M guarantee without the entire deal being guaranteed. If Watson's $235 is the start of negotiations, then it may be time to look at alternatives. I'm all for signing Lamar to a lucrative contract he's earned it in my opinion. If not for Roman he probably would have made the SB in 2019.   I'm not for crippling the team to do it. 

#1164 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 08:18 AM

I don’t buy that that has anything to do with anything.

Phillip Rivers had a nice career and couldn’t beat measly old Maryland in five tries.

Nice career with few playoff wins & no championships. Dan Marino also had a nice career.

• mdrunning likes this

#1165 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 23 November 2022 - 08:24 AM

If he still owns the team, I'd bet on Snyder, but I don't imagine he'll be around at that point.

Carolina owner David Tepper wouldn't give the Texans what they wanted. No sure if Watson's contract was involved. You'd think with how he wants a franchise QB so bad he'd give what it would take. Guess he wasn't as crazy as Haslam.

• bmore_ken likes this

#1166 BSLJasonBHirschhorn

BSLJasonBHirschhorn

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 December 2022 - 11:15 AM

Lamar Jackson enduring contract year from hell. Why it might not matter:

https://baltimorespo...ee-injury-2022/

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLJamieSieck and russsnyder like this

Jason B. Hirschhorn is the co-founder of The Leap and an award-winning sportswriter with bylines at NFL.com, SB Nation, Sports Illustrated, and other major outlets. He is also a Pro Football Writers of America member. Follow him on Twitter: @by_JBH

#1167 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 09:52 AM

He played 12 games last year. 
If he plays vs. the Bengals this week, he'll have played in 13 games this year... obviously 12 if not. 

That's got to have impact on the Ravens decision making. 

Lot of ESPN discussion this morning reading into Harbaugh's comments earlier this week, not sure if Jackson will be practicing or not. 

The ESPN Analysts suggesting Harbaugh believes Jackson is ready to play, but is holding himself out.

#1168 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:09 AM

If he plays vs. the Bengals this week, he'll have played in 13 games this year... obviously 12 if not. 

Lot of ESPN discussion this morning reading into Harbaugh's comments earlier this week, not sure if Jackson will be practicing or not. 

The ESPN Analysts suggesting Harbaugh believes Jackson is ready to play, but is holding himself out.

Contractually, can a healthy player hold themselves out? Or are the talking heads just trying to stir up some nonsense?

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1169 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:15 AM

Contractually, can a healthy player hold themselves out? Or are the talking heads just trying to stir up some nonsense?

There is always some layer of, able to play vs. fully healthy.  And most of the ESPN Analysts sided with the idea that if Jackson is able to play vs. not fully healthy... it's fine if he holds himself back.  That he's thinking of his next contract, etc.  Damien Woody said he wouldn't be comfortable with a teammate holding himself back, if he's able to play. He was the lone voice articulating that.

Which is fine, and I'd get that argument.... but the flip side is there is nothing more valuable than availability, and he's missed a lot of time now these last two years.   If you are projecting ahead (which obviously is the point of an extension), then that has to be factored in.

• DuffMan likes this

#1170 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:19 AM

I don't think Lamar is any more likely to get injured than any other QB. Non-catostrophic injuries two years in a row don't scare me much in terms of future availability.

The lack of any big performances in the later portion of the season shifts things more for me than the actual injury. I'm still ultimately reaching the same conclusion, though. It is getting closer to a tipping point, but still feels clearly better to me.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#1171 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:25 AM

He can be cleared by the docs and say he's not up to playing. 

#1172 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:29 AM

Healthy player can't just sit out and still get paid, but health is ultimately determined by the player and not the team unless lawyers get involved. Would be a big NFLPA argument if team tried to count them as absent rather than injured. Zero chance the Ravens could win that argument against Lamar for this week.

Lamar also could announce himself healthy then literally hold out at this point with no penalty besides a lost game check.

#1173 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:30 AM

I don't think Lamar is slow playing his recovery. He'll be on the field if capable.

#1174 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:30 AM

There's been a lot of smoke around the idea that lot of players don't like / trust the Ravens training staff and some of their ideas. For a few years now. Wolfe a few weeks back basically said it for himself. Saunders has been a bit of a lightning rod for a few years too for various reasons. Harbs talked about how they would re-evaluate and change as needed at the end of last season, but Saunders himself remained / remains in the role. So you have to wonder how much if anything changed? And how that is viewed by the players who have injuries to recover from. As they say, if there's smoke that usually means there's a fire burning somewhere. And it's hard to chalk it all up to just fantasy when Wolfe basically blasted the guy himself... despite having glowing things to say about the organization as a whole.
  • BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this

#1175 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:33 AM

Healthy player can't just sit out and still get paid, but health is ultimately determined by the player and not the team unless lawyers get involved. Would be a big NFLPA argument if team tried to count them as absent rather than injured. Zero chance the Ravens could win that argument against Lamar for this week.

Lamar also could announce himself healthy then literally hold out at this point with no penalty besides a lost game check.

And reputation. If you want to hold out, you hold out. You don't pull this crap a week before the playoffs. That's garbo.

But, I'm with you - I don't think that's what is happening here. I do think Harbs and his staff are hard asses with this stuff though, and probably see things a tad differently, perhaps.

• Mackus likes this

#1176 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 10:34 AM

And reputation. If you want to hold out, you hold out. You don't pull this crap a week before the playoffs. That's garbo.

Agree. I'd accept him having held out before the season started any of the last 3 years as smart business. Calling it midway would be a very different animal. I don't think that's what's happening though.

#1177 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 11:32 AM

I've definitely tilted. 

I'd rather see Lamar traded vs. extended at this point. 

My preferences would be: 

- Sending Jackson to Houston... don't know if I can get their 1st and 12th overall, but that would be amazing...  (Choice of Young or Stroud)

- A lesser deal for Green Bay to get Love...  and moving Jackson wherever. 

- A contract extension with Jackson. 

• jamesdean likes this

#1178 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 11:34 AM

Lamar stays and coaching staff goes... that's my top 12 preferences... :)
  • SonicAttack likes this

#1179 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 04 January 2023 - 11:45 AM

And if Lamar goes, you might as well dump Harbs and the rest anyway. His record since Kubiak went back to Denver, without Lamar starting and finishing a game healthy, is something like 29-37. Well below .500.
  • bmore_ken and SouthRider like this

#1180 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 04 January 2023 - 12:29 PM

And if Lamar goes, you might as well dump Harbs and the rest anyway. His record since Kubiak went back to Denver, without Lamar starting and finishing a game healthy, is something like 29-37. Well below .500.

Harbaugh's overall record post Kubiak is 64-49, which includes going 2-4 after Flacco went down with the ACL and then 3-7 in games that Lamar hasn't started. If you want to include the games Lamar started but didn't finish, that makes that 3-7, 4-8. So Harbaugh has gone 5-11 without a starting quarterback.

I understand being frustrated with Harbaugh but to use the argument that he doesn't win when he doesn't have his starting QB playing is a poor one. Outside of Kyle Shanahan's voodoo in San Francisco, I would make an assumption that pretty much every head coach struggles without a starting caliber QB in the lineup (albeit, I'd like to do a deep dive to confirm). That's probably the reason why so many franchises turn over their coaching staffs every few years because they have crappy QB play. 

Bottom line, any coach you bring in is going to have a tough time if the QB position is unstable.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=