5723 replies to this topic

#1141 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:08 PM

That's right up there with Josh Hamilton explaining to the public that he signed with the Angels, because Jesus told him
that's where he needed to go. Coincidentally, the Angels offered him far more money than anyone else, so add one hell of an accountant to Jesus's resume.

I think Albert Pujols said something similar when he signed with the.....Angels in free agency. I would say that Jesus is a helluva an agent.
  • weird-O likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1142 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 October 2022 - 08:54 PM

I think Albert Pujols said something similar when he signed with the.....Angels in free agency. I would Jesus is a helluva an agent.

They ain't named the Angels for nothin'!

• weird-O and russsnyder like this

#1143 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 November 2022 - 01:15 PM

ESPN: NFLPA says teams colluding to nix guaranteed deals

Lamar Jackson's negotiation with the Baltimore Ravens this offseason was part of the discussion that led to the claim, a source told ESPN. Jackson made clear to the team that he wanted a fully guaranteed deal -- one that surpassed Watson's total -- and the Ravens weren't willing to do that.

#1144 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 01:31 PM

ESPN: NFLPA says teams colluding to nix guaranteed deals

I hope we can finally put to bed the notion that we "don't know what he wants." We know exactly what he wants.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#1145 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 02:20 PM

Can someone refresh me on the franchise tag. Cant another team still make an insane offer for Lamar that the Ravens have to match or let him go and  get draft picks or am I way off here. 

#1146 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 02:26 PM

Can someone refresh me on the franchise tag. Cant another team still make an insane offer for Lamar that the Ravens have to match or let him go and  get draft picks or am I way off here. 

There's an exclusive tag and non-exclusive tag. The former is obviously higher.

If you use the non-exclusive he can negotiate and sign an offer with others, if Ravens don't match they get two firsts.

That's fine normally and is usually what's used, except you'd want more than two firsts for Lamar.

• Mackus and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#1147 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 02:35 PM

There's an exclusive tag and non-exclusive tag. The former is obviously higher.

If you use the non-exclusive he can negotiate and sign an offer with others, if Ravens don't match they get two firsts.

That's fine normally and is usually what's used, except you'd want more than two firsts for Lamar.

So you have to pay Lamar more to use the exclusive tag?

#1148 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 02:36 PM

This was a good rundown from this summer. $45 vs $32 exclusive/non

https://overthecap.c...nce-is-a-virtue

• Mackus and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#1149 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 02:38 PM

So you have to pay Lamar more to use the exclusive tag?

Yeah.

Average of the 5 highest current salaries for exclusive.

Its the average of the 5-highest salaries over the past 5 years as a percentage of the salary cap for the non-exclusive.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#1150 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 November 2022 - 02:39 PM

Here's something to ponder, if the Ravens aren't willing to give Jackson a fully guaranteed deal, is any franchise willing to do it? 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1151 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 02:53 PM

Here's something to ponder, if the Ravens aren't willing to give Jackson a fully guaranteed deal, is any franchise willing to do it?

How strong is the collusion because yes there is undoubtedly some owners who would do it if they had their way.

Ravens may try to wait to see what happens with other guys but they are next up. The Bengals can kick the can down the road on Burrows. Chargers the same on Herbert. They can wait on the Ravens.

#1152 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 November 2022 - 03:00 PM

If he still owns the team, I'd bet on Snyder, but I don't imagine he'll be around at that point.

#1153 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 04:41 PM

I hope we can finally put to bed the notion that we "don't know what he wants." We know exactly what he wants.

I never understood that narrative. It was always pretty obvious.

#1154 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 05:00 PM

Lamar is in a roundabout way using the NFLPA as an agent, in the sense they are giving him advice, but they aren't at the negotiating table for him. They are using him as a pawn to make it easier for players in the future to get similar deals. 

Everyone knows the first one through the wall is the bloodiest. While Lamar isn't the first fully guaranteed contract, he's the first one to be asking for one of this magnitude. I think the Browns just offered Watson his deal and he took it because he'd be a moron not too. I don't think he said he wanted $230M guaranteed. 

The NFLPA isn't getting their way (the Ravens and Lamar aren't negotiating in season anyway) so they are yelling "Collusion!" 

The NFLPA may have really screwed him here if they convinced him to hold out for a Watson+ contract, thinking that was the new norm and not an aberration. Without their meddling, he may have signed the offer the Ravens extended.  Currently, he's not earning Watson+. Or even a conventional contract like Allen+ if we're being honest. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1155 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 05:27 PM

I think the Ravens will die on the fully guaranteed hill. If he refuses to come off of that demand, he will eventually be playing for someone else. I could be wrong - we'll see.

#1156 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 06:08 PM

Lamar is in a roundabout way using the NFLPA as an agent, in the sense they are giving him advice, but they aren't at the negotiating table for him. They are using him as a pawn to make it easier for players in the future to get similar deals. 

Everyone knows the first one through the wall is the bloodiest. While Lamar isn't the first fully guaranteed contract, he's the first one to be asking for one of this magnitude. I think the Browns just offered Watson his deal and he took it because he'd be a moron not too. I don't think he said he wanted $230M guaranteed. 

The NFLPA isn't getting their way (the Ravens and Lamar aren't negotiating in season anyway) so they are yelling "Collusion!" 

The NFLPA may have really screwed him here if they convinced him to hold out for a Watson+ contract, thinking that was the new norm and not an aberration. Without their meddling, he may have signed the offer the Ravens extended.  Currently, he's not earning Watson+. Or even a conventional contract like Allen+ if we're being honest. 

Watson didn't want to go to Cleveland. The money changed his mind.

#1157 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 06:14 PM

I think the Ravens will die on the fully guaranteed hill. If he refuses to come off of that demand, he will eventually be playing for someone else. I could be wrong - we'll see.

I can see that if we make the playoffs & lose early. If you followed Jackson's college career he couldn't get over the top. He was fun & exciting but couldn't beat Clemson.

#1158 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 22 November 2022 - 06:49 PM

I feel like they're going to find some middle ground where they guarantee something like 180-200 million on a slightly longer deal. Say a 7 year deal with 6 effective years.

I don't think the PA would say this unless they had some evidence of collusive behavior at the owners meeting.

#1159 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 07:22 PM

Well he isnt coming off that hill and he will likely play for someone else eventually so congrats I guess

#1160 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 November 2022 - 08:28 PM

I can see that if we make the playoffs & lose early. If you followed Jackson's college career he couldn't get over the top. He was fun & exciting but couldn't beat Clemson.

I don’t buy that that has anything to do with anything.

Phillip Rivers had a nice career and couldn’t beat measly old Maryland in five tries.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=