5723 replies to this topic

#1061 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:58 PM

Rappaport is an insider. Preston is not. That’s the difference. Adam Schefter, same level of insider as Rappaport, has to have a driver take him to and from home to work and hour each way every day cause he is constantly juggling like 3 smartphones.
Preston hangs out at practice (when he wants to) pays attention (kind of) gets the same quotes we can get on the Ravens website. And goes home and writes his little articles.

And being an "insider", I assume he gets or creates all the anonymous quotes and stories, no? Again, quote Rappaport to Lamar and wait for the laughter.

#1062 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:58 PM

The report is as accurate as you wanna believe a leak from the Ravens is, because that is with near certainty where it came from.

I doubt its anything close to an outright lie, because that would just alienate Lamar. But it could be presented in very kind terms, such as not detailing if money is fully guaranteed or partially guaranteed or not revealing exactly how much of the total figure is incentives versus base salaries.

In any case, even the rosiest picture of the deal doesn't get anywhere near to the guaranteed money Watson got. I think it's a very safe assumption to say that the guaranteed money is the disconnect and that it's a wide one.

#1063 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:10 PM

And being an "insider", I assume he gets or creates all the anonymous quotes and stories, no? Again, quote Rappaport to Lamar and wait for the laughter.

Well, if he was making things up, he would be out of a job.

See: Jason LaCanfora
@BSLMikeRandall

#1064 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:20 PM

I don't know if that's how Ken feels but that's my opinion 100%. I'd love to have someone put a mic in front of Lamar's face and quote all these "reports" and watch how he breaks into hysterical laughter.

Cool. So you believe zero news reported by any sports media?

#1065 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:23 PM

The report is as accurate as you wanna believe a leak from the Ravens is, because that is with near certainty where it came from.

I doubt its anything close to an outright lie, because that would just alienate Lamar. But it could be presented in very kind terms, such as not detailing if money is fully guaranteed or partially guaranteed or not revealing exactly how much of the total figure is incentives versus base salaries.

In any case, even the rosiest picture of the deal doesn't get anywhere near to the guaranteed money Watson got. I think it's a very safe assumption to say that the guaranteed money is the disconnect and that it's a wide one.

Thank you. Finally.

#1066 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:33 PM

I tend to believe most of the reports simply based on history.  Most of the insider reports do tend to end up being true.  If you aren't breaking news that eventually pans out, you don't last long.  But there are times where something is reported and it does end up not true, so you can't take those speculative reports as 100% positive.  

I also look at Lamar's "Statements" themselves.  Someone tweeted that the Ravens offered him $250 million guaranteed and he replied, "No they didn't."   Someone tweeted that the Ravens would be foolish to give him a fully guaranteed contract and he responded, "You don't love Lamar."  

If you believe the insider reports, it would seem that the Ravens did offer at least $250 million, but not fully guaranteed.  And if you believe Lamar's tweets, that seems to be the problem.  We don't know that Lamar want it fully guaranteed, but I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility.  At least that he is initially asking for it.  

#1067 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:33 PM

Again, that's pure speculation but if that's indeed how Lamar feels, then this is more than likely his final season in Baltimore.  I hope the fans of the Ravens will enjoy this year as much as possible because I have no doubt that if Jackson stays healthy, he's going to put up some staggering numbers that in some areas, may even exceed 2019.  He's playing for the team, a potential Super Bowl and MONEY.  He's betting on himself and so far, with each game, he's backing the Brinks truck closer and closer to Bisciotti's office door. 

Or, the further that truck gets from it.

#1068 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:53 PM

At this point it doesn't even matter what he reportedly wanted. That number changes at the end of the season. We can keep saying the price is going up by the week. But they aren't discussing it.

If he wins a second MVP award, which he's the front runner for, he'll not only be justified in wanting the most guaranteed money, but the most total value, and maybe the highest signing bonus as well. Mahomes' type deal is in the conversation. 10/$500M $250M guaranteed. $75M signing bonus.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1069 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 07:59 PM

Cool. So you believe zero news reported by any sports media?

If they're backed by direct quotes from the person involved and sources are confirmed to be 100% accurate and not conjecture or anonymous due to some bullshit "sensitivity issue", then sure, I'll believe it. This is based on a " leak" as Mackus put it or some insider that knows about as much as you do but creates stories that illicit the desired response. Its certainly got us going here on the forum. And it means nothing.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#1070 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 08:02 PM

If they're backed by direct quotes from the person involved and sources are confirmed to be 100% accurate and not conjecture or anonymous due to some bullshit "sensitivity issue", then sure, I'll believe it. This is based on a " leak" as Mackus put it or some insider that knows about as much as you do but creates stories that illicit the desired response. Its certainly got us going here on the forum. And it means nothing.

You are very misguided about what it means to be an NFL insider. Saying they're essentially just bullshit artists with Twitter accounts us wildly inaccurate.

#1071 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 08:04 PM

Well, if he was making things up, he would be out of a job.
See: Jason LaCanfora

He wouldn't be out of a job. That's what they're paying him to do. That's the problem with journalism today- zero accountability and almost entirely antithetical to honesty and integrity. Just say "anonymous" and you have a story.

#1072 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 08:06 PM

He wouldn't be out of a job. That's what they're paying him to do. That's the problem with journalism today- zero accountability and almost entirely antithetical to honesty and integrity. Just say "anonymous" and you have a story.

Go look at the history and accuracy of guys like Schefter and Rappaport.

#1073 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 26 September 2022 - 08:08 PM

I this point it doesn't even matter what he reportedly wanted. That number changes at the end of the season. We can keep saying the price is going up by the week. But they aren't discussing it.

If he wins a second MVP award, which he's the front runner for, he'll not only be justified in wanting the most guaranteed money, but the most total value, and maybe the highest signing bonus as well. Mahomes' type deal is in the conversation. 10/$500M $250M guaranteed. $75M signing bonus.

I'd also say this is happening if the Ravens win the super bowl. If anything I'd say your guaranteed number is too low. If he wins both, all bets are off.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#1074 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 08:09 PM

https://twitter.com/...lRlzJlasqgmPs7w

More insider lies?

#1075 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 09:12 PM

No. I’m telling you. LaCanfora told too many lies as facts and CBS fired him as their NFL insider. They held him accountable. That’s the point.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1076 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 September 2022 - 10:50 PM

I nominate this as Worst Thread of the Year

• The Epic and mdrunning like this

@fuzydunlop

#1077 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 September 2022 - 11:08 PM

I nominate this as Worst Thread of the Year

Worse than my Hold Steady thread??

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1078 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 26 September 2022 - 11:21 PM

Unfortunately yes

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

@fuzydunlop

#1079 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 05:07 AM

This will be my last post on this specific topic. (loud applause echoes throughout the room) Let's look at this rationally....where is Rappaport or anyone else of his ilk getting their information?  According to Mackus, it's a leak coming from the Castle.  Let's say that's the case.  Do you honestly think Bisciotti and those close to him in the chain of command aren't constantly looking for those kind of leaks? So, this person/persons decide for some inexplicable reason to divulge private information pertaining to numbers shared from the front office to Lamar or someone else close to Lamar who's then relaying that information to him.  What's the motive? Why would someone do that and obviously risk a more than likely good paying job with the Ravens?  Sorry, it doesn't make any sense.  I guess Bisciotti has secretly paid someone to leak information via Rappaport so his Twitter account can blow up with viewership. I have a Twitter account.  What's stopping me from going on there and saying that a buddy of mine who was friends with Hollywood Brown during his stay in Baltimore was told by Brown that Lamar has no intention of staying in Baltimore after this year. That he's deliberately shooting down any offer to bide his time until he can get out of here and force the team's hand to trade him. Would any of you guys here believe that story?  Probably not I would hope.  But you know plenty would in the internet universe.  We'll see how this plays out and the bottom line is Lamar will either sign or he won't.  I get that you guys love playing the numbers games and having something to chat about but it's means nothing.  Again, if you're so convinced that Rappaport and people like him are gold with information, go to their Twitter accounts and plead with them to finally interview Lamar or Bisciotti so they can confirm their stories.  See how that ends up. They won't because they know they're nobodies to the team and wouldn't be trusted with that kind of itinerary.  But hey, since there's spies in organization, it won't be necessary anyway.  :roll:

• bmore_ken likes this

#1080 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 05:47 AM

According to Mackus, it's a leak coming from the Castle. Let's say that's the case. Do you honestly think Bisciotti and those close to him in the chain of command aren't constantly looking for those kind of leaks?

This is almost certainly an intentional leak by the Ravens to a reporter to get their side of the story out without explicitly revealing the private details. It's not some lower level person sharing info without authorization. It's intentional and planned and purposeful. This happens in all industries that have heavy media scrutiny.

This isn't like the Roe v Wade overturn leak from the Supreme Court. There won't be any hunt to find the leaker. It was info given away freely to make a point publicly.
  • CantonJester and makoman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=