5723 replies to this topic

#1041 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:30 PM

49/year was the total amount including non guaranteed money. It says it fell short of Watson's 5/230 guaranteed. I think 6/360 guaranteed is nuts.

Shannon Sharpe is on TV today talking about how it is likely that his contract will cost them $300 million fully guaranteed or more. There's no way this will cost them any less than 55 a year if they wait until Burrow and Herbert sign their contracts.

#1042 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:34 PM

Okay. So we aren't allowed to discuss contracts now? Because we will never get a quote from either of those sources until something is signed.

Where did I say that?

#1043 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:40 PM

Shannon Sharpe is on TV today talking about how it is likely that his contract will cost them $300 million fully guaranteed or more. There's no way this will cost them any less than 55 a year if they wait until Burrow and Herbert sign their contracts.

I could do some mental gymnastics for 50-55 for 5 years.  I don't know about that much for 6.

Sharpe is speculating here, and he's prone for hyperbole I think.

• bmore_ken likes this

#1044 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:47 PM

Where did I say that?

When you say that it's not worth speculating about what is reported because it wasn't reported by the team or the player, it makes it very difficult to ever discuss the topic at all. If you support discussing contract negotiations, tell me how one should initiate that discussion without immediately leading to you stating that it's all just speculation and nobody knows anything.

#1045 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:49 PM

I could do some mental gymnastics for 50-55 for 5 years. I don't know about that much for 6.

Sharpe is speculating here, and he's prone for hyperbole I think.

There is no way in hell Lamar is signing for anything less than 50. If Burrow signs for 50 per year, and Herbert signs for 51 or 52, Lamar will not take any less than 53-55.

#1046 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:52 PM

There is no way in hell Lamar is signing for anything less than 50. If Burrow signs for 50 per year, and Herbert signs for 51 or 52, Lamar will not take any less than 53-55.

You think they're signing for that amount fully guaranteed?  I have a strong suspicion that they will sign for that much total value but the guaranteed value will be closer to 140-180m over 3 or 4 years.

#1047 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:53 PM

When you say that it's not worth speculating about what is reported because it wasn't reported by the team or the player, it makes it very difficult to ever discuss the topic at all. If you support discussing contract negotiations, tell me how one should initiate that discussion without immediately leading to you stating that it's all just speculation and nobody knows anything.

Where did I say it's not worth speculating? Please don't put words in my mouth.

#1048 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:55 PM

You think they're signing for that amount fully guaranteed? I have a strong suspicion that they will sign for that much total value but the guaranteed value will be closer to 140-180m over 3 or 4 years.

I agree. No team is as dumb as the browns. They've proven that time after time in their history.

#1049 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:55 PM

Where did I say it's not worth speculating? Please don't put words in my mouth.

I see. So you don't want to discuss it unless you get a direct quote from Lamar or the team, but you also still think it's worth speculating. Excellent. Clear as mud.

#1050 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:56 PM

You think they're signing for that amount fully guaranteed? I have a strong suspicion that they will sign for that much total value but the guaranteed value will be closer to 140-180m over 3 or 4 years.

I don't think it matters what they do as far as the guaranteed money in Lamar's eyes. Lamar has decided he wants a fully guaranteed contract, and that's what Lamar is going to get, one way or the other. I think that the other two will just drive up what the average annual value is. Lamar is not signing without a fully guaranteed deal.

#1051 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:58 PM

I see. So you don't want to discuss it unless you get a direct quote from Lamar or the team, but you also still think it's worth speculating. Excellent. Clear as mud.

You can discuss what you want. But you are the one to claim Lamar turned down 49 million a year as a fact when you really just don't know that to be an actual fact.

#1052 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 05:04 PM

You can discuss what you want. But you are the one to claim Lamar turned down 49 million a year as a fact when you really just don't know.

Either we are going to believe the reported news from reputable sources, or we will not. You haven't seen the war in Ukraine first hand, but you I assume still believe it's happening because it's being reported.

If you are going to doubt everything that is reported, then I expect you not to give any credence to any information unless it comes directly from the mouth of a player, owner, or gm. Can you agree to that?

#1053 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 05:04 PM

I don't think it matters what they do as far as the guaranteed money in Lamar's eyes. Lamar has decided he wants a fully guaranteed contract, and that's what Lamar is going to get, one way or the other. I think that the other two will just drive up what the average annual value is. Lamar is not signing without a fully guaranteed deal.

He is, and I think that he'll jump at any number thats at or higher than the previous guaranteed money record, which would be Watson's 5/230 guaranteed.  I don't think he's going to draw a line in the sand that's 60% higher than that.  If the Ravens offer him 5/235 or 6/270 or 6/280 guaranteed and Burrow and Herbert haven't signed a guaranteed deal in that range then he'll sign it on the spot.  You can add 55 or 60 million or even 65 milllion non-guaranteed years at the end to make the total amount look nice, but they're kind of irrelevant to the conversation.  I think both Wilson's and Murray's deal also includes escalators that are pretty easily achievable as well.

#1054 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 05:07 PM

He is, and I think that he'll jump at any number thats at or higher than the previous guaranteed money record, which would be Watson's 5/230 guaranteed. I don't think he's going to draw a line in the sand that's 60% higher than that. If the Ravens offer him 5/235 or 6/270 or 6/280 guaranteed and Burrow and Herbert haven't signed a guaranteed deal in that range then he'll sign it on the spot. You can add 55 or 60 million or even 65 milllion non-guaranteed years at the end to make the total amount look nice, but they're kind of irrelevant to the conversation. I think both Wilson's and Murray's deal also includes escalators that are pretty easily achievable as well.

It will be fully guaranteed or he won't sign it. I'm positive.

At the very absolute least it will be 80-90% guaranteed.

#1055 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:23 PM

Anyone can speculate about what he's been offered.  I never said there wasn't an offer on the table.  Of course there was and Lamar rejected it.  End of story.  But for someone to toss around actual numbers that isn't directly employed by the Ravens or from Lamar's mouth or Tweet, it's hard for me to give any credence to it.  Who knows, if Lamar ultimately turns down their final offer next year and they trade  him, we may never know what was offered because the team isn't likely to divulge that information to the public.  Lamar may just keep that to himself too out of respect for the organization. At the end of the day, speculation is all we may ever have. 

#1056 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:26 PM

Either we are going to believe the reported news from reputable sources, or we will not. You haven't seen the war in Ukraine first hand, but you I assume still believe it's happening because it's being reported.

If you are going to doubt everything that is reported, then I expect you not to give any credence to any information unless it comes directly from the mouth of a player, owner, or gm. Can you agree to that?

I don't know if that's how Ken feels but that's my opinion 100%.  I'd love to have someone put a mic in front of Lamar's face and quote all these "reports" and watch how he breaks into hysterical laughter. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#1057 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:29 PM

That's some Olympic level mental gymnastics to go from a reported contract number that wasnt fully guaranteed, and then spitballing Herbert/Burrow's contract numbers next offseason, and using that spitball number to draw the conclusion that Lamar is not only going to set the record for AAV on a contract by a good 15-20%, but he's going to do so with a fully guaranteed deal that is 60% higher than the previous high for a guaranteed deal.
  • mweb08 and bmore_ken like this

#1058 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:30 PM

Again, that's pure speculation but if that's indeed how Lamar feels, then this is more than likely his final season in Baltimore.  I hope the fans of the Ravens will enjoy this year as much as possible because I have no doubt that if Jackson stays healthy, he's going to put up some staggering numbers that in some areas, may even exceed 2019.  He's playing for the team, a potential Super Bowl and MONEY.  He's betting on himself and so far, with each game, he's backing the Brinks truck closer and closer to Bisciotti's office door. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#1059 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,018 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:33 PM

I mean...it's Ian Rappaport. It's not like it's some rando.

Rappaport is a sports writer and analyst.  So is Mike Preston. That means nothing to me. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#1060 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 06:51 PM

Rappaport is a sports writer and analyst. So is Mike Preston. That means nothing to me.

Rappaport is an insider. Preston is not. That’s the difference. Adam Schefter, same level of insider as Rappaport, has to have a driver take him to and from home to work and hour each way every day cause he is constantly juggling like 3 smartphones.

Preston hangs out at practice (when he wants to) pays attention (kind of) gets the same quotes we can get on the Ravens website. And goes home and writes his little articles.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=