#5421 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:28 AM

So what does that do for his value .?

Then he's labeled a malcontent and no one wants him.

Nothing, nobody really expects a tagged guy to show up for camp.

If he holds out into the season, then that becomes an issue that would reflect poorly on him. Also a lost opportunity to have a strong year.

#5422 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:29 AM

If youre trying to win Id go with Bridgewater. Wentz just has no pocket presence. Hes been beat up and I dont think he really wants to be out there most of the time. I question the heart in a big way.

Yeah, Wentz is awful.

#5423 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:40 AM

Nothing, nobody really expects a tagged guy to show up for camp.

If he holds out into the season, then that becomes an issue that would reflect poorly on him. Also a lost opportunity to have a strong year.

Yep. The worst thing he can do for his situation is hold out. There's absolutely no benefit to that.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#5424 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:45 AM

He's got to prove it on the field. It he plays great he may see more offers on the tag next season.

Agreed. I said in the extension post this would be an entirely different situation if he played full seasons the last two seasons. Swallow your pride.Sign the tag. If a trade happens, great you got what you want. If there is no trade play the season with your new OC and show teams you still got it.

#5425 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

What character flaws? You don't even know the guy outside of social media.

You're comparing a guy who had a legitimate knee injury, and is asking for a large contract, to a guy who;

-Refused to play and threatened retirement because he couldn't wear his normal helmet.
-Neglected proper safety protocols and froze his feet in a cryogenic machine.
-Demanded his release because he was fined for not showing up to mandatory workouts.
-was sued for sexual assault... multiple times.
-Charged and sued for felony assault and burglary of a vehicle.
-Suspended for supplying a fake vaccination card.
-Got half naked and made a scene running off of the field. Then bragged about being a "super gremlin" after the fact on social media.

Please, what are Lamar's character flaws that compare to anything on the list above?

Nothing really compares to any of that, and I agree that the AB comparison isn't a fair one. With that said, LJ has definitely shown a great deal of immaturity and a penchant for the dramatic this offseason. I don't think it's fair to label him a bad dude, but he definitely hasn't portrayed himself as a leader of men, or a guy who checks the boxes for a 230+ million dollar contract.

#5426 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

What character flaws? You don't even know the guy outside of social media.

You're comparing a guy who had a legitimate knee injury, and is asking for a large contract, to a guy who;

-Refused to play and threatened retirement because he couldn't wear his normal helmet.
-Neglected proper safety protocols and froze his feet in a cryogenic machine.
-Demanded his release because he was fined for not showing up to mandatory workouts.
-was sued for sexual assault... multiple times.
-Charged and sued for felony assault and burglary of a vehicle.
-Suspended for supplying a fake vaccination card.
-Got half naked and made a scene running off of the field. Then bragged about being a "super gremlin" after the fact on social media.

Please, what are Lamar's character flaws that compare to anything on the list above?

I don't think Lamar has handled this situation well, but the vitriol directed towards him by fans (like my dad) is disgusting and for many, tinged with racism whether they'd admit it or not.
@DaKittenz

#5427 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:47 AM

Yep. The worst thing he can do for his situation is hold out. There's absolutely no benefit to that.

I think, with an ego as large as his is, he will sit out the season if they can't find a trade partner as a means to put pressure on the Ravens. He probably thinks that when they lose a couple of games they'll beg to have him back and give him whatever he wants.

#5428 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:47 AM

Not what I expect to happen, but the one way that a holdout benefits Lamar is a "rising tide raises all boats" sort of way. If Burrow, Hurts and Herbert all get full guarantees and maybe even extensions for Mahomes or anyone else close to being due that locks on massive guaranteed dollars, then Watson's deal can no longer be considered an outlier by anybody and maye Lamar finds the number he wants at that point. Also the cap continues to go up, so the same APY is a lower percentage.

Doesn't seem remotely likely to me that happens, but the embargo against Lamar, if it exists, would be lifted in that case and then teams just decide if he personally is worth that deal after a year on the bench.

#5429 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:48 AM

Not what I expect to happen, but the one way that a holdout benefits Lamar is a "rising tide raises all boats" sort of way. If Burrow, Hurts and Herbert all get full guarantees and maybe even extensions for Mahomes or anyone else close to being due that locks on massive guaranteed dollars, then Watson's deal can no longer be considered an outlier by anybody and maye Lamar finds the number he wants at that point.

Doesn't seem remotely likely to me that happens, but the embargo against Lamar, if it exists, would be lifted in that case and then teams just decide if he personally is worth that deal after a year on the bench.

It could work the opposite way too. If Burrow or Herbert sign a non-guaranteed deal, his demands will look even more outlandish.

#5430 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:52 AM

Of all the names on the list I'd go with Bridgewater or Rudolph.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5431 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:52 AM

I think, with an ego as large as his is, he will sit out the season if they can't find a trade partner as a means to put pressure on the Ravens. He probably thinks that when they lose a couple of games they'll beg to have him back and give him whatever he wants.

Then he needs an advisor. I'm not an NFL player , but even I know that's not happening.

#5432 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:54 AM

Not what I expect to happen, but the one way that a holdout benefits Lamar is a "rising tide raises all boats" sort of way. If Burrow, Hurts and Herbert all get full guarantees and maybe even extensions for Mahomes or anyone else close to being due that locks on massive guaranteed dollars, then Watson's deal can no longer be considered an outlier by anybody and maye Lamar finds the number he wants at that point. Also the cap continues to go up, so the same APY is a lower percentage.

I don't see any of those guys getting a guaranteed deal. Watson's deal already looks like an outlier since other QBs have signed new contracts since his, none of them were guaranteed. It's the NFL so anything can happen, I just don't see it. 

#5433 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:04 PM

Nothing really compares to any of that, and I agree that the AB comparison isn't a fair one. With that said, LJ has definitely shown a great deal of immaturity and a penchant for the dramatic this offseason. I don't think it's fair to label him a bad dude, but he definitely hasn't portrayed himself as a leader of men, or a guy who checks the boxes for a 230+ million dollar contract.

I feel that is all fair. Comparing him to AB is ridiculous. Demanding an unrealistic contract isn't in the same realm of anything AB has done.

#5434 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:06 PM

To me the issue is that he's coming off 2 seasons in a row where he missed significant time. Sitting is a huge mistake IMO.

#5435 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:07 PM

Let's say Lamar holds out 1-2 seasons and during that time Joe Burrow gets $250 mil fully guaranteed.  If Lamar thinks teams are going to give him say, $260 mil fully guaranteed since he's the next QB up after holdouts and two injury shortened seasons, he's insane.

#5436 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,359 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:10 PM

To me the issue is that he's coming off 2 seasons in a row where he missed significant time. Sitting is a huge mistake IMO.

It wouldnt be a good look. Especially with questions ,fair or not, if he could have made it back for the playoff games. He has to understand sitting out into the season is going to hurt him. I dont think holding out through camp harms him much but into the season, yes. He has to understand it benefits him to have a resolution so he can be in camp and ready to go week 1. No matter what team it is.

#5437 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:10 PM

For the Ravens, a trade to the Texans would be the best case scenario. If EDC could swindle both firsts this year from Houston, that's a win. Then you hope Carolina is dumb and gets blinded by the workouts with Richardson. And the Ravens could grab Stroud at 2, then Johnston at 11, and hopefully Porter at 23. That would be the absolute best case "dream" scenario that involves a Lamar Jackson trade in my eyes.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#5438 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:11 PM

It could work the opposite way too. If Burrow or Herbert sign a non-guaranteed deal, his demands will look even more outlandish.

It kind of depends on the number.  If Herbert signs for like 8/400 with 150m guaranteed and 250m practically guaranteed, put that next to 5/240  guaranteed at signing and I'd probably assign a similar risk level to it.

#5439 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:12 PM

For the Ravens, a trade to the Texans would be the best case scenario. If EDC could swindle both firsts this year from Houston, that's a win. Then you hope Carolina is dumb and gets blinded by the workouts with Richardson. And the Ravens could grab Stroud at 2, then Johnston at 11, and hopefully Porter at 23. That would be the absolute best case "dream" scenario that involves a Lamar Jackson trade in my eyes.

I don't think there's a chance.

#5440 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:18 PM

When a rival GM comes out and says his contract demands are a "non-starter". That's alarming. Obviously we've all only seen what the Ravens have offered, and nothing of what Lamar has demanded. With statements like the one above, I'd imagine his demands have to be unrealistic. It also tells me other teams have reached out and opened dialog. Only to slowly step back.

Really curious as to what he is demanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=