5723 replies to this topic

#5401 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,561 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:06 AM

With all the drama surrounding Lamar, and it looking increasingly like he won't be a Raven in 2023 and moving forward, the Ravens need a QB.

Tyler Huntley shouldn't be any team's week 1 starter outside of injury concerns. Any QB the Ravens draft at #22 is unlikely to start week 1. So the Ravens need another QB.

The free agent list is bare.

https://www.spotrac....back/available/

Is there anyone you'd sign as an insurance policy?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#5402 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:07 AM

Comparing him to AB is completely unfair.

Meh. He hasn't stripped down on the field and danced his way out of the NFL. But the character flaws there are larger than the talent. Brown was a better WR than LJ is a QB, and maybe that's why he got offer after offer despite his flaws until he finally burnt every bridge.

Seems like the only team willing to ignore Lamar's character flaws and pay Lamar what he wants already employs Deshaun Watson. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#5403 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:14 AM

The draft is in 4 weeks and 2 days. The longer this drags on the less likely a trade can happen. Sure it could happen the day of the draft but teams want to have a good idea of where they stand QB wise early enough to make draft decisions.

1. Do they draft a QB?

2. Do they move up or down in the draft based upon the above.

3. What alternatives do they have outside Lamar or the draft?

With their lack of picks I don’t see any way they can find a replacement for him in the draft. At least not someone who would be able to start in 2023. The alternative right now, as far as who is on the roster, is Anthony Brown. There’s always Huntley too, but that no other team in need of a QB has already picked him up should tell us what we need to know there.

#5404 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,632 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:30 AM

If he goes they will have money.  QB's will hit the market after the draft.  Someone better than Huntley will be there.

Maybe next year is a struggle, but there is still good talent on this team, and hopefully we will soon be past all this Lamar BS.

• Steve55 likes this
@mikeghg

#5405 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:34 AM

With all the drama surrounding Lamar, and it looking increasingly like he won't be a Raven in 2023 and moving forward, the Ravens need a QB.

Tyler Huntley shouldn't be any team's week 1 starter outside of injury concerns. Any QB the Ravens draft at #22 is unlikely to start week 1. So the Ravens need another QB.

The free agent list is bare.

https://www.spotrac....back/available/

Is there anyone you'd sign as an insurance policy?

Bridgewater is probably the best choice. Has been alright a few years. Had Broncos at 500 in 2021 over 14 games. But you probably have to expect him to miss games.

Unless you think Wentz is fixable I guess, rather not go there.

#5406 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:46 AM

That list is gross.

• NewMarketSean likes this

#5407 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

I'll probably catch grief for this, but I wouldn't be mad about Wentz or Bridgewater. For all the grief he gets, Wentz had a pretty good season at Indy two years ago and D.C is where QBs go to die, so I didn't expect much when he went there. 

#5408 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

If Lamar is gone and we cant get in on the top rookie QBs in this years draft the best idea is to in fact tank. Not really tank but go with a QB who hopefully gets you a top 10 pick in '24. You combine that with the Lamar situation finally being resolved whether its a trade or even a signed tender and you should be able to get a top QB in the '24 draft. I hate that its still completely an unknown but Ill take my chances with a legit 1st round graded QB.

#5409 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:47 AM

I dont think hes gonna sign the tender anytime soon. Can the team fine him if he sits out TC while under contract?? In reality I dont know how much,if any, leverage he loses by signing the tender but signing it early during a dispute feels like youre given ground even if it really makes little difference

He's not under contract

#5410 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:50 AM

I'll probably catch grief for this, but I wouldn't be mad about Wentz or Bridgewater. For all the grief he gets, Wentz had a pretty good season at Indy two years ago and D.C is where QBs go to die, so I didn't expect much when he went there.

If youre trying to win Id go with Bridgewater. Wentz just has no pocket presence. Hes been beat up and I dont think he really wants to be out there most of the time. I question the heart in a big way.

#5411 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:52 AM

He had some good talent around him in WAS though. And 2021 might be more the outlier when you look back to 2020.

I'd call the Titans and see if they still want to hold on to Tannehill, but I'm guessing they aren't looking to go full rebuild yet, and Willis did not impress in his audition. It would probably take too much to get him.

#5412 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:53 AM

The longer this goes on, the more I'm convinced Lamar isn't going anywhere. That doesn't mean he's playing, but the fact he's had zero offers in two weeks tells me he's not going anywhere this year. 

#5413 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,258 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:54 AM

With their lack of picks I don’t see any way they can find a replacement for him in the draft. At least not someone who would be able to start in 2023. The alternative right now, as far as who is on the roster, is Anthony Brown. There’s always Huntley too, but that no other team in need of a QB has already picked him up should tell us what we need to know there.

Mike I was referring more to other teams that might consider trading for him. Applies to the Ravens too but I was thinking more from the perspective of an outside team that might be willing to trade for LJ.

#5414 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:55 AM

My understanding: If you hold out from mandatory activities while under contract you are fined $50k per day. If you don't sign the tag you aren't under contract so that doesn't apply. So if he signs he has to show up or be fined, but he can hold in as they say, just pretend he's hurt and not do anything.

Yeah. Right now I would guess hes frustrated and pouting but eventually hes got a big decision to make. Sit out or come off the demands no one us going to give you. But if the latter is true what does sitting out a year or two get you. Just the right to pick the exact team you want to go to as an UFA in '25.

#5415 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:00 AM

He had some good talent around him in WAS though. And 2021 might be more the outlier when you look back to 2020.

I'd call the Titans and see if they still want to hold on to Tannehill, but I'm guessing they aren't looking to go full rebuild yet, and Willis did not impress in his audition. It would probably take too much to get him.

There is a way to get Tannehill, but it would require dealing Lamar to Tennessee.  That actually has been mentioned as a possibility.  

#5416 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,435 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:09 AM

There is a way to get Tannehill, but it would require dealing Lamar to Tennessee.  That actually has been mentioned as a possibility.  

The Titans have the feel of a dark horse team that would make a run at Lamar. If Henry comes back healthy and still has something left in his tank, that offense would be downright scary.

#5417 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:14 AM

Meh. He hasn't stripped down on the field and danced his way out of the NFL. But the character flaws there are larger than the talent. Brown was a better WR than LJ is a QB, and maybe that's why he got offer after offer despite his flaws until he finally burnt every bridge.

Seems like the only team willing to ignore Lamar's character flaws and pay Lamar what he wants already employs Deshaun Watson.

What character flaws? You don't even know the guy outside of social media.

You're comparing a guy who had a legitimate knee injury, and is asking for a large contract, to a guy who;

-Refused to play and threatened retirement because he couldn't wear his normal helmet.
-Neglected proper safety protocols and froze his feet in a cryogenic machine.
-Demanded his release because he was fined for not showing up to mandatory workouts.
-was sued for sexual assault... multiple times.
-Charged and sued for felony assault and burglary of a vehicle.
-Suspended for supplying a fake vaccination card.
-Got half naked and made a scene running off of the field. Then bragged about being a "super gremlin" after the fact on social media.

Please, what are Lamar's character flaws that compare to anything on the list above?
  • Mackus, Mashed Potatoes, hallas and 2 others like this

#5418 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:18 AM

The longer this goes on, the more I'm convinced Lamar isn't going anywhere. That doesn't mean he's playing, but the fact he's had zero offers in two weeks tells me he's not going anywhere this year. 

He's got to prove it on the field. It he plays great he may see more offers on the tag next season.

#5419 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:21 AM

My understanding: If you hold out from mandatory activities while under contract you are fined $50k per day. If you don't sign the tag you aren't under contract so that doesn't apply. So if he signs he has to show up or be fined, but he can hold in as they say, just pretend he's hurt and not do anything.

So what does that do for his value .?

Then he's labeled a malcontent and no one wants him.

#5420 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:24 AM

Yeah, I would be OK with either one of them.  They're both better than Huntley or Brown, that's for sure.  I doubt they're taking you to the promised land but it would keep the Ravens competitive, in play-off contention and give them a chance to bide time until they draft another young quarterback. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=