5723 replies to this topic

#5381 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 04:58 AM

Again, that’s up to Lamar. Is he going to sign the tag so the Ravens can start to grant his wish?

His signing the tag would actually require Lamar to participate in the process. At this point he hasn't shown any interest in participating at all. Instead of reaching out to teams to gauge interest, his business partner alledgedly reaches out. Instead of finding out what his value truly is by reaching out to other teams, he calls out the Ravens for not "being interested in his value." I do think that Lamar will eventually sign the tag that allows him to be traded. I think it will be after the draft and it will be to the detriment of the Ravens. It's clear to me from Lamar's actions that he is done with the Ravens.
  • Mike in STL likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5382 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 05:07 AM

Just read the Harbaugh's and Browns reactions to Lamar's trade request. Harbaugh still sounds like he wants and expects Lamar to be back. Brown echoed those remarks. I wouldnt expect them to be all like yeah we are done with Lamar and will trade him. They also didnt have to go as far as they did saying they still want him back and expressing their love for him. Combine that with the report that said the Lamar tweet was more business than personal and Im inclined to believe he will still be here in 2023.

It's called damage control.

Harbaugh had to react to Jackson's statement that the Ravens weren't interested in his value.

Harbaugh stating that Lamar is still in the Ravens plans is an attempt retain some trade value.

At this point, the value that Lamar has to the Ravens is either the two first round picks if he signs an offer sheet, or what they can net in a trade if Lamar signs the tender in order to allow a said trade.

I think the breaking point in this relationship was Lamar tweeting that the Ravens were not interested in his value.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5383 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:04 AM

His signing the tag would actually require Lamar to participate in the process. At this point he hasn't shown any interest in participating at all. Instead of reaching out to teams to gauge interest, his business partner alledgedly reaches out. Instead of finding out what his value truly is by reaching out to other teams, he calls out the Ravens for not "being interested in his value." I do think that Lamar will eventually sign the tag that allows him to be traded. I think it will be after the draft and it will be to the detriment of the Ravens. It's clear to me from Lamar's actions that he is done with the Ravens.

He isn't participating in the process because he's in way over his head and needs an agent.  He's a lost puppy but just won't admit it.  

#5384 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:05 AM

CBS Sports: Ravens' Lamar Jackson requests trade: Colts, Patriots among 11 logical landing spots for former MVP

https://www.cbssport...for-former-mvp/

#5385 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:07 AM

It's called damage control.

Harbaugh had to react to Jackson's statement that the Ravens weren't interested in his value.

Harbaugh stating that Lamar is still in the Ravens plans is an attempt retain some trade value.

At this point, the value that Lamar has to the Ravens is either the two first round picks if he signs an offer sheet, or what they can net in a trade if Lamar signs the tender in order to allow a said trade.

I think the breaking point in this relationship was Lamar tweeting that the Ravens were not interested in his value.

I'll give Harbaugh credit in one area- he's a smooth operator and can peddle the bullshit as good as anyone.  A real politician in the making. I'm sure as soon as he got back to his room, he either called EDC or Bisciotti and said something along the lines of, "can you believe this shit?"  Another childish move by Lamar to post his tweet just as John Boy is beginning his presser.  I'm almost beginning to enjoy this "Days of Our Lives" soap opera. 

• russsnyder likes this

#5386 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:08 AM

I also think if the Ravens are going to trade him it will be before this draft. They cant throw away 2023 completely. They need a resolution as quickly as possible and they need compensation as soon as possible.

Good luck trying to find a trading partner. 

#5387 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:09 AM

That's my dream scenario. Draft Will Anderson and get a starter at CB at #22. Find a placeholder for QB and go into 2023 with a scary defense and see how it shakes out. Then make next offseason all about the offense.

I like that scenario also, although it's probably a long shot at this point. 

#5388 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:35 AM

Harbaugh loves everybody. That's his facade. He admitted as much in a coaching clinic talk he did a few years back, I posted a clip of it not long ago (talking about how him and Ed Reed didn't exactly mesh, but he'd tell him "I love you" anyway).  It all sounds corny, but it is his thing.  Not saying it's all bad, or even partly bad.  It's just his thing.  What he thinks about a player personally and what he says out loud are probably two VERY different things in SOME cases.  So never, ever read much in to his public comments about a player.

#5389 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:59 AM

Exactly. All the stuff he wants, he can’t do, because he’s ignorant to the process, and yeah, seems very disinterested in doing his part.

How hard is it for LJ to reach out to teams himself so they can actually negotiate a deal? I guess pretty hard when your making bad gym infomercials.

He wants to be traded. Gotta sign the tag. Get up off your ass and sign the paper.

Lamar isn’t doing anything he needs to do in his role of getting the process going. With no agent, he needs to contact teams. Without signing the tag, he can’t be traded.

Waiting on you Lamar. Ball is in his court, full stop. I don’t think he wakes up anytime soon. Not before the draft at least.
  • russsnyder likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#5390 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 07:18 AM

He still has to agree with a contract with one of those teams. He would need to sign the tag so the Ravens can trade him and he becomes their problem to deal with.

#5391 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 07:31 AM

These ESPN guys are so full of it. Not one would say no team has made contact with him. No team wants to give him the contract he wants.

#5392 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 07:49 AM

Its a bit of a feint but the Ravens have some leverage with Lamar to tell him they won't consider a trade until he signs the tender.  Obviously Lamar has to sign the tender before a trade (or a signed offer sheet) is actually processed, but that can remain unsigned while all of the conversations are happening and then be the last procedural step before a trade or offer sheet is finalized.  But the Ravens can tell him they're not going to even entertain the idea until/unless he signs it.  I don't really think that gives the Ravens much more leverage, but it at least starts the ball rolling towards some sort of resolution, so may be a good idea.

On the other hand, still seems like the Ravens want him back, so maybe just telling him that they aren't gonna entertain a trade at all is the way to go.

#5393 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 08:39 AM

Good luck trying to find a trading partner.

I've been saying the same thing

#5394 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 08:47 AM

The comment from the Commanders GM, who said (and I paraphrase) that he didn't want to say anything negative, and that Lamar was a "talented guy" tells me everything. Word is out that he's an immature drama queen and they're content letting him be the Ravens' problem.

#5395 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 09:00 AM

Its a bit of a feint but the Ravens have some leverage with Lamar to tell him they won't consider a trade until he signs the tender. Obviously Lamar has to sign the tender before a trade (or a signed offer sheet) is actually processed, but that can remain unsigned while all of the conversations are happening and then be the last procedural step before a trade or offer sheet is finalized. But the Ravens can tell him they're not going to even entertain the idea until/unless he signs it. I don't really think that gives the Ravens much more leverage, but it at least starts the ball rolling towards some sort of resolution, so may be a good idea.

On the other hand, still seems like the Ravens want him back, so maybe just telling him that they aren't gonna entertain a trade at all is the way to go.

I dont think hes gonna sign the tender anytime soon. Can the team fine him if he sits out TC while under contract?? In reality I dont know how much,if any, leverage he loses by signing the tender but signing it early during a dispute feels like youre given ground even if it really makes little difference

#5396 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 09:11 AM

I dont think hes gonna sign the tender anytime soon. Can the team fine him if he sits out TC while under contract?? In reality I dont know how much,if any, leverage he loses by signing the tender but signing it early during a dispute feels like youre given ground even if it really makes little difference

My understanding: If you hold out from mandatory activities while under contract you are fined $50k per day. If you don't sign the tag you aren't under contract so that doesn't apply. So if he signs he has to show up or be fined, but he can hold in as they say, just pretend he's hurt and not do anything.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#5397 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 09:30 AM

My understanding: If you hold out from mandatory activities while under contract you are fined $50k per day. If you don't sign the tag you aren't under contract so that doesn't apply. So if he signs he has to show up or be fined, but he can hold in as they say, just pretend he's hurt and not do anything.

True, but pretending youre hurt again. Not a good look for him considering how the last 2 yeaes ended. Still would have to be at camp for meetings and to "rehab the injury". Again, its also the perception that he is giving in. Now, if Baltimore gave him a guarantee they'd trade him once he signs it he might do it. I just think any trade thats gonna happen its gonna be Ravens giving permission for Lamar to negotiate. Whuch brings us full circle to the issue. Lamar apparently is being unreasonable in his demands according to all teams. It only takes one but it doesnt seem like there is one.

For me it gets interesting if Lamar backs off the demands he isnt getting and comes closer to the number the Ravens offered. Has a line been crossed? Can fences be mended? Or does he want out regardless and he ends up traded and signed for something the Ravens wouldve given him.

#5398 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 March 2023 - 09:33 AM

The draft is in 4 weeks and 2 days. The longer this drags on the less likely a trade can happen. Sure it could happen the day of the draft but teams want to have a good idea of where they stand QB wise early enough to make draft decisions.

1. Do they draft a QB?

2. Do they move up or down in the draft based upon the above.

3. What alternatives do they have outside Lamar or the draft?

#5399 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 09:36 AM

For me it gets interesting if Lamar backs off the demands he isnt getting and comes closer to the number the Ravens offered. Has a line been crossed? Can fences be mended? Or does he want out regardless and he ends up traded and signed for something the Ravens wouldve given him.

Rapoport said that they were still negotiating as of last week, I.e. 3 weeks after the trade request, so at least as of then bridges hadn't been burned. Who knows if making the request public burned bridges, or if something else happened that caused him to make it public.

It seems pretty clear as of now that his reported demands are scaring people off and the Ravens aren't going to budge or else they would have by now. So he is either going to have to back off those demands, sit out until he is unrestricted and hope that changes things, or play and ball out and hope that changes things. 

#5400 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 10:00 AM

Rapoport said that they were still negotiating as of last week, I.e. 3 weeks after the trade request, so at least as of then bridges hadn't been burned. Who knows if making the request public burned bridges, or if something else happened that caused him to make it public.

It seems pretty clear as of now that his reported demands are scaring people off and the Ravens aren't going to budge or else they would have by now. So he is either going to have to back off those demands, sit out until he is unrestricted and hope that changes things, or play and ball out and hope that changes things. 

I think that is the case, and especially since it was timed to the exact time that Harbaugh was addressing the owners convention leaving him to hang out to dry without any knowledge it was made public.  

Publicly Harbaugh has said all the right things about wanting Lamar back, privately he has to be seething about the way it was done.  

But, who knows.  Only the Ravens FO and Lamar really know if the relationship is dead at this point.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=