5723 replies to this topic

#5341 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:58 PM

I understand that pov, because you believe the Ravens have to him / an elite QB to be a SB contender. 

I think a great QB even on a massive contract is a better way forward than no QB and a bunch of cap space and picks.   You can win either way, I just think the known quantity is the better, safer, easier bet.  A good or even great QB on a rookie deal is the obvious best of both worlds, but finding that good or great QB is a lot harder to do than I think most people account. 

#5342 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:59 PM

A point so nice, you needed to make it twice!

If you geniuses could understand it the first time I wouldn't need to repeat myself!

• You Play to Win the Game, Biggsy and bmore_ken like this

#5343 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:02 PM

I know I'm probably a fool for asking this, but who is Meek Mill? My pop culture is somewhat dated.

Meek Mill. Sounds like a Jim Rouse community.

Meek Mill is that small building on top of a ledge on the shore of Little Patuxent River. 

• mdrunning likes this

#5344 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:04 PM

He's a rapper

Thanks. Fascinating that he has Robert Kraft's number.

#5345 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:06 PM

Thanks. Fascinating that he has Robert Kraft's number.

He knows the best rub and tugs. It adds up.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#5346 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:12 PM

He knows the best rub and tugs. It adds up.

So he's tight with Deshaun, too?

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5347 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:16 PM

So your plan is to trade Lamar for less than 2 firsts?

I doubt the Ravens get anyone to compensate the Ravens with two #1's at this point. (You said it yourself that it's been 12 days and no team has stepped up.) If Jackson truly wants to get traded, he should sign the 32 million dollar tag and let the Ravens trade him. Jackson could then work with the other team to get his quarter billion guaranteed and the Ravens get whatever package they can get at that point.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5348 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:17 PM

I can see it working the other way, actually. If Lamar signs the tender, then he can seek a deal elsewhere and the team and the Ravens can agree on trade compensation that is more than two firsts with the assurance that the Ravens won't match the offer sheet. If the team doesn't offer more than two #1s, then the Ravens match the sheet.

I'm down with this.

Way to think big.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5349 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:18 PM

I will say this. The Ravens have shown Lamar nothing but love and despite how some people frame it of course it is the Ravens first and foremost for me. Players come and go. If its business and frustration over business I can find a way past that. If Lamar really wants out and thinks the Ravens have done him dirty in some way then see ya. 100%. This is assuming something doesnt come out that the Ravens have done him dirty in some way we dont know about but from the outside looking in it sure looks like its been nothing but love.

This is more or less my thoughts on the situation. The Ravens are respected for how they conduct business, and how they treat their players (as well as players they're courting). Lamar seems like a stand up guy, but he has less of a history. That may be an unfair knock against him, but it remains the unknown factor. Is he a stand up guy? Or has he just not had any reason to show who he really is? In most ways, I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

It's been suggested that the Ravens have floated things through the right channels, to muddy Lamar's image. I doubt that's true. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5350 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:18 PM

At this point its pretty simple to me. Move on from LJ. He doesn't want to play for the Ravens for whatever reason so:

1. Take a trade with compensation you think is reasonable.

or

2. Let him sit on his ass for the season.

But I am not putting him behind center with 52 other guys who want to be there. Why should an O lineman for instance get his body busted to shit protection a QB who doesn't want to be there? 

• jamesdean likes this

#5351 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:32 PM

Rappaport tweeting that the LJ trade request is primarily about financials and not hurt feelings.

#5352 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:35 PM

Rappaport tweeting that the LJ trade request is primarily about financials and not hurt feelings.

Don't those two go hand-in-hand?

#5353 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:37 PM

Don't those two go hand-in-hand?

Potentially. But the implication is that bridges aren't burned.

#5354 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, but then he announced it right as Harbaugh was taking stage for an interview. So cute, but not buying it.
  • mdrunning likes this

#5355 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:40 PM

I can see it working the other way, actually.  If Lamar signs the tender, then he can seek a deal elsewhere and the team and the Ravens can agree on trade compensation that is more than two firsts with the assurance that the Ravens won't match the offer sheet.  If the team doesn't offer more than two #1s, then the Ravens match the sheet.

Doesn't that step dangerously close to collusion? 

#5356 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:51 PM

Is anyone remotely concerned about the ongoing issue with high profile Ravens players wanting out of the org?

Hurst

Orlando Brown

Hollywood

Lamar

And Chuck Clark, though he's not exactly high profile.

#5357 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:52 PM

No. They all had legitimate reasons IMO.

Roquan came here, loved it enough to re-up. Same with Peters. Calais kept coming back and would’ve loved to have been back. Stanley re/upped. Andrews re-upped.

Way more example of good players who wanted to and did stay vs. ones who “wanted out”, usually strictly for financial reasons. Brown wasn’t going to get his stats here. Andrews was the alpha in Baltimore, so goodbye Hurst. Brown wanted to be a LT and we did him a solid and got decent comp for it. This Lamar thing is just crazy. No reason to be concerned IMO.
  • Mike in STL, PrimeTime and mdrunning like this

#5358 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:58 PM

Is anyone remotely concerned about the ongoing issue with high profile Ravens players wanting out of the org?

Hurst

Orlando Brown

Hollywood

Lamar

And Chuck Clark, though he's not exactly high profile.

I'd be concerned if each of them had the same issue, but it was something different for each of them. So no.

#5359 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 04:59 PM

Doesn't that step dangerously close to collusion?

Pretty sure this is expressly allowed.

#5360 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 05:00 PM

I can see it working the other way, actually. If Lamar signs the tender, then he can seek a deal elsewhere and the team and the Ravens can agree on trade compensation that is more than two firsts with the assurance that the Ravens won't match the offer sheet. If the team doesn't offer more than two #1s, then the Ravens match the sheet.

The over the cap guy was arguing when this started that under the CBA two firsts is the max, can’t get more in exchange for not matching. IIRC it wasn’t crystal clear, some ambiguity.

ETA see in this article.
https://overthecap.c...n-lamar-jackson
  • Mackus likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=