5723 replies to this topic

#5301 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,115 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:56 PM

Does sitting out ever work out for a player? What notable player aside from LeVeon Bell sat out an entire season? And as we know, it basically was the end of his career.

#5302 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:57 PM

You seem really locked in on assigning blame. Add this to your equation. There is a system in place. In most situations, both parties adhere to the system. In the (as of now) made up scenario where Lamar sits out, rather than play under the tag, that is his decision to try and work outside of the system that he, as a member of the Union, agreed to abide, when he signed his rookie contract with the Ravens.

How is that blame to be placed at the feet of the Ravens organization?

No sir. Others are assigning blame. Ive heard hes torpedping or sabotaging the Ravens no less than 10 times over the last few months. Just on this board.

#5303 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:57 PM

Does sitting out ever work out for a player? What notable player aside from LeVeon Bell sat out an entire season? And as we know, it basically was the end of his career.

I'm not much of a football historian, so I'd be interested to hear the answer to this question.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5304 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:58 PM

If he never reports you don't pay him and you get the cap space back. So why let him become a free agent for nothing?

Yeah, you're right.  I was thinking the cap space wouldn't return either way.  The thing is, if he does decide he'd rather make 32 million this year than sit out, what kind of a player are you going to have?  At this point, how could you believe his heart would be in the fight and not become the Ravens version of Antonio Brown?  If he does report, the odds of it getting ugly are very real and I'm sure EDC knows that.  Him and Bisciotti are probably praying on their knees that he sits out if they can't swing a trade. 

#5305 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:00 PM

QBs are a different breed. Lamar would absolutely hurt himself sitting out for two years but he would still get a very nice deal if he chose to do that. Bell got a nice deal too btw. Im not here to debate whether he ultimately lost or gained money by doing it but the Jets gave him some dough

#5306 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:03 PM

Deshaun Watson. (though he wasn't on the tag)

#5307 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:06 PM

Sean Gilbert was tagged by Washington, sat out a year, tagged again, and signed a big offer sheet with Carolina. The tag was like $3M at the time and he signed for 7/46M so I guess that probably worked out for him.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#5308 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:07 PM

Deshaun Watson. (though he wasn't on the tag)

Watson didn't sit out due to a contract dispute either.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5309 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:07 PM

John Riggins.  He was better than ever after he came back.

#5310 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:08 PM

Watson didn't sit out due to a contract dispute either.

Yeah. Though the question as I read it was simply whether someone noteworthy ever sat out a whole season and whether or not it worked out for them.

#5311 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:10 PM

Ive been told forever this is about greed and dillusion. That no one wants him for what he wants and he is too greedy, dumb and selfish to come to a huge but fair deal. Why is that going to be different for a new team. Ok, he signs the tag and the Ravens negotiate a trade. He still has to work out a deal. I dont know, maybe he will all of a sudden be less greedy and dillusional. Thats what you guys are betting on happening?

That's not a question for me. That's a question for Lamar.

He requested a trade. He just has to sign on the dotted line and the Ravens can start the process. This is on him. He has to figure out how this all plays out for him. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#5312 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:11 PM

The Ravens accomodate those who want to be traded. Just ask Zeus Jr. and Hollywood. Seems like a viable solution to me.

It's been 12 days with no contract offer. Who are they trading him too that doesn't want him without a trade?

#5313 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:13 PM

No sir. Others are assigning blame. Ive heard hes torpedping or sabotaging the Ravens no less than 10 times over the last few months. Just on this board.

Yes, when commenting on a hypothetical situation those thoughts were shared. You shared your thoughts that the Ravens would be hypothetically responsible for putting themselves into that situation, and would have no one but themselves to blame. I disagree with that, because there is a system in place, and Lamar would be the one trying to work outside of that system.  

#5314 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:14 PM

What the hell is going on?

Albert Breer

@AlbertBreer
Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Meek Mill texted him three or four days ago saying Lamar Jackson wanted to come to New England. Kraft responded that would be Bill Belichick’s decision.
3:57 PM · Mar 27, 2023

https://twitter.com/...442984075513856

#5315 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:15 PM

Yeah. Though the question as I read it was simply whether someone noteworthy ever sat out a whole season and whether or not it worked out for them.

Ah I gotcha.....I was reading it like, did anyone sit out for a contract dispute and ultimately benefit from it.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#5316 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:16 PM

What the hell is going on?

Albert Breer

@AlbertBreer
Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Meek Mill texted him three or four days ago saying Lamar Jackson wanted to come to New England. Kraft responded that would be Bill Belichick’s decision.
3:57 PM · Mar 27, 2023

https://twitter.com/...442984075513856

Colin Cowherd said acquiring LJ puts them right back into SB contention. 

#5317 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,115 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:17 PM

Would you take Mac Jones and draft picks for Lamar? I hate the idea of him going to a conference rival, though.

#5318 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:18 PM

Colin Cowherd said acquiring LJ puts them right back into SB contention. 

Sure, the Pats would be reasonable enough, but why is Meek Mill texting Robert Kraft?

Is Jones good enough to keep us contenders with this defense? Probably not. But he's better than anyone else available right now.

#5319 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:22 PM

Sure, the Pats would be reasonable enough, but why is Meek Mill texting Robert Kraft?

Is Jones good enough to keep us contenders with this defense? Probably not. But he's better than anyone else available right now.

LOL, I was so focused on the message, I didn't even think about who the messenger was :D

#5320 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:23 PM

Jones is a non athletic. No just no. If forced to choose between Jones and a 2nd rounder Ill take the 2nd rounder and go the route of tanking for a top 10 pick next year with Huntley under center. This is the problem. Mac Jones and guys like him arent good enough and everyone  knows it. And its not even that Jones is bad. Hes not bad. Hes just not good enough. Youre stuck in mediocrity. Never bad enough to have a shot at a top QB in the draft. Never good enough to win it all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=