#4781 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 22 March 2023 - 02:05 AM

Unless he can get the Colts or some mystery team (Patriots?  Lions?  Vikes?) gets involved I think Lamar's backed himself into playing on the tag this year.  But if it drags out another season I feel like it's almost 100% he's holding out the season in 2024.

#4782 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 05:14 AM

Unless he can get the Colts or some mystery team (Patriots?  Lions?  Vikes?) gets involved I think Lamar's backed himself into playing on the tag this year.  But if it drags out another season I feel like it's almost 100% he's holding out the season in 2024.

If that happens, he better have a bounceback year without any major injuries.  Otherwise that money's going to start drying up.

• bmore_ken and Steve55 like this

#4783 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 05:50 AM

If that happens, he better have a bounceback year without any major injuries.  Otherwise that money's going to start drying up.

That's what I was going to say. If he has a good healthy year and the Ravens want off the merry go round, they will look for trades.

#4784 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 05:59 AM

Is the unlicensed rep the guy who was advising Laremy Tunsil on his extension .?

#4785 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:48 AM

Unless he can get the Colts or some mystery team (Patriots? Lions? Vikes?) gets involved I think Lamar's backed himself into playing on the tag this year. But if it drags out another season I feel like it's almost 100% he's holding out the season in 2024.

There's no benefit to holding out.

#4786 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:20 AM

Balt SunMike Preston: Ravens and QB Lamar Jackson could be in for a long offseason as free agent money dries up

#4787 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:57 AM

I'm starting to believe this is going to be a multi-year fiasco.

#4788 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:57 AM

I doubt he’s done that. Unless there is a version written in emoji.

:D

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#4789 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:58 AM

I was busy last night. Did he sign yet? 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#4790 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:28 AM

I was busy last night. Did he sign yet? 

As I've said several times. He bout to take his $32M and play on the tag. We can do this again next season. The 2nd time around should be fun.  :mrgreen:

• weird-O likes this

#4791 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:38 AM

If he plays on the tag, how much commitment is Lamar going to have for the team?  Is he going to be all in emotionally?  Sure, he has his long term contract to play for and that in itself is motivation but there could be more acrimony in this melodrama than what's been reported media wise.  Especially when you consider he's doing this without an agent and is directly exposed to critical analysis from EDC and Bisciotti on why he doesn't deserve a fully guaranteed, Watson type deal.  That's the way it used to be before agents when players would meet with the GM or owner and try to convince them that they should get a raise.  All they would get in return was them telling them how bad they are and that no, there would be no raise.  Free agency ended those days but since Lamar is without representation, it can't leave a very good taste in his mouth.  To him, he's being rejected and that the team doesn't consider him irreplaceable.  Now, he has to go out and play and pretend he's not pissed.  Harbaugh's got his work cut out for him trying to motivate his most important player on offense. 

#4792 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:46 AM

Just a guess, but if he's on the tag I imagine he holds out of almost all of camp but once he reports he's as invested as ever.  That'll certainly be a hindrance if he's not around while Monken is installing the new offense.  Recoverable, but far from ideal.  

I could see him being bitter if the team pulls or lowers their contract offer before the July deadline.  But if they keep their best offer on the table and he simply continues to pass, then I'd hope there isn't enough acrimony on his side to be less than fully motivated.  But who knows, certainly fair to be concerned about his emotional and mental investment if he's on the tag.  Hell he may not even play in that case.  I could also see Lamar reporting for camp just like last season and it being really no different.  He doesn't seem to really follow or conform to anybody's expectations of what he might do, so anything is possible.

• DuffMan and jamesdean like this

#4793 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:51 AM

If he plays on the tag, how much commitment is Lamar going to have for the team? 

It won't be about the team. He'll have something  to prove. 

#4794 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 09:54 AM

Just a guess, but if he's on the tag I imagine he holds out of almost all of camp but once he reports he's as invested as ever.  That'll certainly be a hindrance if he's not around while Monken is installing the new offense.  Recoverable, but far from ideal.  

I could see him being bitter if the team pulls or lowers their contract offer before the July deadline.  But if they keep their best offer on the table and he simply continues to pass, then I'd hope there isn't enough acrimony on his side to be less than fully motivated.  But who knows, certainly fair to be concerned about his emotional and mental investment if he's on the tag.  Hell he may not even play in that case.  I could also see Lamar reporting for camp just like last season and it being really no different.  He doesn't seem to really follow or conform to anybody's expectations of what he might do, so anything is possible.

Very true. However I just think he'll want to give a FU to all the teams that didn't give him an offer and he balls out. Hopefully we'll see the Lamar that has no problem taking off and picking up 15 yards as opposed to the guy we saw last year that took a bunch of unnecessary sacks.,

• jamesdean and makoman like this

#4795 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:40 AM

It won't be about the team. He'll have something to prove.

Exactly. He can sulk and play worse and continue harming his value, or he can do his best and show he deserves what he’s asking.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#4796 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:15 AM

Yeah, the idea that he shut it down himself and sat out the playoffs to avoid injury... or that he would not give it full effort while on the tag... could be feasible. Sure.

It would also be completely counterproductive to his own goal of getting above and beyond what Watson got. I mean, if the Ravens personnel truly believe he jaked it on the playoffs, that word is going to get leaked one way or another. And the more time he spends not playing due to injury or apathy, just reduces his appeal as a "We gotta get him no matter how much it costs" option in the eyes of other teams.

If he has, or will, not play up to full capability / availability, he probably won't simultaneously increase or even maintain his present perceived value.

If nobody gives him the offer he wants the next couple months, his best bet on himself would be to show up for everything, and play to the max of his effort / ability. If he does that and stays relatively healthy, then maybe his sky high demands are more well received next time around...
  • bmore_ken and Steve55 like this

#4797 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:16 AM

Are the compensation draft picks a deterrent to teams making an offer? Sure

But to have zero offers sends a petty clear message that teams either don't think the return on their investment would be there or they have other concerns. Can be several reasons for any concerns but no offers is telling.

#4798 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:26 AM

But to have zero offers sends a petty clear message that teams either don't think the return on their investment would be there or they have other concerns. Can be several reasons for any concerns but no offers is telling.

I don't think it means that much. I personally think it's the non exclusive tag rules. The Ravens can match any offer put out there unless you make one beyond their reach and the offering team has to clear cap space for an offer the Ravens can just match.

#4799 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:27 AM

The non-collusion rationale that makes the most sense to me is that teams expect the Ravens to match any offer they'd make.

I'm still surprised that nobody has made an offer they think the Ravens wouldn't match, either via big guarantees or by front loading the cap hit, especially now that the pick compensation is so much less than expected.

#4800 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:49 AM

It is wild to me that a serial sex offender fetched a bigger draft haul and more guaranteed money than Lamar is. To me that sends a clear signal that they either don't think he is truly available, or there are some concerns about his ability on the field (or his ability to *stay* on the field).

Either way, my guess is that the unofficial contact that was reaching out to teams was essentially his way of begging them to bid for his services. If they don't think he's really available, they wouldn't bother, and the less interest he garners, the worse it is for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=