5723 replies to this topic

#4741 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 02:36 PM

Is the contract he got with Cincinnati in line with what he would have got as a RT?   

(He of course wanted to leave Baltimore so he could be a LT and get a larger deal.)

He'd be 8th highest paid among RT by APY.  He's the 10th highest LT.

#4742 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 03:36 PM

The Ravens having to save an extra 20 million in cap is killing us in terms of roster construction though.  We can't make any moves unless they're basically cap-neutral, so that eliminates almost any free agent acquisition.

I don't disagree with any of that, but it doesn't invalidate what I posted.

#4743 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 March 2023 - 03:50 PM

I don't disagree with any of that, but it doesn't invalidate what I posted.

It wasn't meant to, just a follow-on comment.

#4744 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 01:40 PM

Florio: Representative not certified by NFLPA has contacted multiple teams on behalf of Lamar Jackson

As one source explained it, the person has said that Jackson does not want a fully-guaranteed contract. Some regard this as a possible exercise in semantics, with Jackson still wanting a very significant amount fully guaranteed — up to $200 million or more — with one more non-guaranteed years on the back end.

Another source said that the representative is telling other teams that Lamar is ready to move on from the Ravens.

#4745 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 March 2023 - 01:47 PM

Lamar’s “representative” spotted around town yesterday…

FVJssfc.jpg
  • hallas, Mike in STL, russsnyder and 1 other like this

#4746 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 March 2023 - 02:03 PM

Florio: Representative not certified by NFLPA has contacted multiple teams on behalf of Lamar Jackson

As one source explained it, the person has said that Jackson does not want a fully-guaranteed contract. Some regard this as a possible exercise in semantics, with Jackson still wanting a very significant amount fully guaranteed — up to $200 million or more — with one more non-guaranteed years on the back end.

Another source said that the representative is telling other teams that Lamar is ready to move on from the Ravens.

Does anyone even want him?

#4747 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 02:23 PM

Does anyone even want him?

There could be nobody farther outside the situation than I am, but it feels like Lamar's value is dropping like a rock. Remember that when he was drafted every other team had passed on him. The Ravens might be stuck with him.

#4748 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 02:28 PM

Why would Lamar Jackson have unlicensed people contacting teams, when the NFL has explicitly warned teams about this behavior in the past? It's not just frowned upon (like not having an agent), it's flat-out in violation of the CBA. 

#4749 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 02:47 PM

As you all know I believe nothing that doesn't quote LJ or EDC,but I thought those of you who believe "sources" would find this interesting. https://www.cbssport...ens-per-report/

#4750 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:15 PM

Why would Lamar Jackson have unlicensed people contacting teams, when the NFL has explicitly warned teams about this behavior in the past? It's not just frowned upon (like not having an agent), it's flat-out in violation of the CBA. 

Maybe it's his mother?

• CantonJester and makoman like this

#4751 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:16 PM

He has to say he's willing to move on, or else why would anyone give him an offer sheet?

The unlicensed representative is weird. I figure it was his mom, since she was (I thought) acting as his de facto agent, but they should have known that you can't do that. It just adds fuel to the idea that they don't know what they're doing.

#4752 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:21 PM

Maybe it's his mother?

He has to say he's willing to move on, or else why would anyone give him an offer sheet?

The unlicensed representative is weird. I figure it was his mom, since she was (I thought) acting as his de facto agent, but they should have known that you can't do that. It just adds fuel to the idea that they don't know what they're doing.

What's puzzling to me is how the NFLPA hasn't assigned him representation, because they had to know he was going to run afoul with the collective bargaining agreement. 

#4753 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:34 PM

What's puzzling to me is how the NFLPA hasn't assigned him representation, because they had to know he was going to run afoul with the collective bargaining agreement. 

I don't think thats something the NFLPA can do.  I doubt there's a miranda rights for agent representation.  "If can't afford an agent, one will be chosen for you"

• mdrunning likes this

#4754 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:36 PM

also, I am about 200% sure that having an agent wouldn't help Lamar one bit.  He may be making poor choices right now, but I don't think he's doing so out of gullibility via listening to bad advice from the players' association.  I think he genuinely wants this for himself and for players, and I just don't think there is an agent out there that is going to convince him otherwise.

#4755 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:39 PM

He's still following the Ravens on IG. So you're telling me there's a chance?

#4756 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:42 PM

I don't think thats something the NFLPA can do.  I doubt there's a miranda rights for agent representation.  "If can't afford an agent, one will be chosen for you"

It's not about constitutional rights violations. I'm saying he's undermining his position as a vanguard of change by doing something so reckless by wasting people's time.  

also, I am about 200% sure that having an agent wouldn't help Lamar one bit.  He may be making poor choices right now, but I don't think he's doing so out of gullibility via listening to bad advice from the players' association.  I think he genuinely wants this for himself and for players, and I just don't think there is an agent out there that is going to convince him otherwise.

If he were genuinely concerned for players other than himself, he would've lawyered up a long time ago: and that's to get it done right.

Instead, it's not really that far out of reach to suggest he doesn't know what he's doing.  

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#4757 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:46 PM

It's not about constitutional rights violations. I'm saying he's undermining his position as a vanguard of change by doing something so reckless by wasting people's time.  

If he were genuinely concerned for players other than himself, he would've lawyered up a long time ago: and that's to get it done right.

Instead, it's not really that far out of reach to suggest he doesn't know what the hell he's doing. 

It's not about constitutional rights, ding dong. I'm saying he's undermining his position as some vanguard of change by doing something so stupid. 

There's no evidence to say that he hasn't lawyered up.  Paying a lawyer a few hundred grand to review documents seems like a better deal than paying 3% agent's fees on a 250 million deal.

I'm aware its not about constitutional rights, but the point remains: they can't put a gun to his head and tell him to sign an agent if he doesn't want one.  And as I said, I doubt it would matter, because he's resolute in his demands.  An agent isn't going to convince him to bridge a 100 million gap.  It's probably more likely that Jackson was resolute in his demands, and the PA decided to tag along with Jackson playing lead.  I've already stated that I think this is a weird fight for him, because he can probably negotiate around the margins of the contract and get himself a big deal that is for all intents and purposes guaranteed, but it is what it is.  Regardless, I don't think he's a pawn in the chess board.  I think he's a king that's putting himself into check.

#4758 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 03:55 PM

There's no evidence to say that he hasn't lawyered up.  Paying a lawyer a few hundred grand to review documents seems like a better deal than paying 3% agent's fees on a 250 million deal.

I'm aware its not about constitutional rights, but the point remains: they can't put a gun to his head and tell him to sign an agent if he doesn't want one.  And as I said, I doubt it would matter, because he's resolute in his demands.  An agent isn't going to convince him to bridge a 100 million gap.  It's probably more likely that Jackson was resolute in his demands, and the PA decided to tag along with Jackson playing lead.  I've already stated that I think this is a weird fight for him, because he can probably negotiate around the margins of the contract and get himself a big deal that is for all intents and purposes guaranteed, but it is what it is.  Regardless, I don't think he's a pawn in the chess board.  I think he's a king that's putting himself into check.

In the scenario where Lamar is the king, reality is the queen. 

#4759 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:26 PM

Imagine being the most anticipated FA QB ever and you have reach out to teams to see if they're interested rather than the other way around.
  • weird-O likes this

#4760 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 04:33 PM

Imagine being the most anticipated FA QB ever and you have reach out to teams to see if they're interested rather than the other way around.

It's not that teams aren't interested, or that they don't want him. It's that they feel like it's a waste of time, and all they'd be doing is negotiating terms for the Ravens.

Any spin on this that makes it seem like no one wants Lamar, is pure ignorance. If he were on the open market, he'd be choosing between at least 6 or 7 massive offers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=