5723 replies to this topic

#4701 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:38 AM

He should just cut the crap and sign the contract that will guarantee his family generational wealth for about 10 generations. I'm a Lamar fan(I almost cried when Hayden Hurst was drafted with him still on the board), but I'm getting annoyed.

Nearly every path in front of him leads to that result anyways.  

#4702 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:42 AM

Nearly every path in front of him leads to that result anyways.

I get that. My point is I'm sick of all the grandstanding. I'm almost at the point now I'm hoping somebody offers him a contract so he can go away.

#4703 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:48 AM

Cautionary tale. 

Last year, Orlando Brown Jr. turned down a 6/$139M deal. $23.1 AAV, $30.25M signing bonus. $95M due to him in the first five years. Turned it down because it would have been $44M base salary in the final year the Chiefs could cut him with no dead money. Would have been the biggest LT contract in history.

This year, Brown signed a 4/$64M deal with Cincy. $16M AAV. $31M signing bonus. $49.9M due to him in first the three years. 

He's the 17th highest paid LT. 

If you consider the Chiefs deal to be in actuality a 5/$95M deal, that they would definitely cut him and not try to extend him, thats still $19M AAV. $3M more than what the Bengals are giving. 

This for a guy who actually plays all his games at the second most coveted position on a team.

• DuffMan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4704 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:52 AM

I get that. My point is I'm sick of all the grandstanding. I'm almost at the point now I'm hoping somebody offers him a contract so he can go away.

I get the frustration, but I don't really understand those are so over it that they are now rooting for a unfavorable result as long as its quick (or almost to that point) just so they can avoid the noise.  Not that hard to just ignore it and look the other direction.  On the other hand, rooting or praying or hoping doesn't do anything to influence the actual outcome, so do whatever helps get you through the day and maintain your sanity.

#4705 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:56 AM

There are scenarios where Lamar ends up taking less than the Ravens best offer to this point. The odds are on his side thr longer he waits though. Even if he has to come back to that last offer. Its still gonna be there unless something devestating happens.

#4706 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 10:58 AM

Cautionary tale. 

Last year, Orlando Brown Jr. turned down a 6/$139M deal. $23.1 AAV, $30.25M signing bonus. $95M due to him in the first five years. Turned it down because it would have been $44M base salary in the final year the Chiefs could cut him with no dead money. Would have been the biggest LT contract in history.

This year, Brown signed a 4/$64M deal with Cincy. $16M AAV. $31M signing bonus. $49.9M due to him in first the three years. 

He's the 17th highest paid LT. 

If you consider the Chiefs deal to be in actuality a 5/$95M deal, that they would definitely cut him and not try to extend him, thats still $19M AAV. $3M more than what the Bengals are giving. 

This for a guy who actually plays all his games at the second most coveted position on a team.

Moral still applies, but he also got $16.7M fully guaranteed in 2022 instead of that contract.  So gotta add that to his Bengals deal when comparing to what he ultimately accepted to what he turned down up front.  Depending on the structure and guarantees in what KC offered on the back-end, certainly looks like he's behind where he would've been.

Its not impossible that Lamar has turned down the biggest offer he's gonna get.  I don't fully expect that, but things easily could turn out that way.  It is very close to impossible, however, that he still won't collect an astounding amount of money over the next several years.

#4707 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:02 AM

I doubt that he's worried about damage control with Baltimore fans. Further, why should he be concerned about anything else except getting max dollars at this point?

He can save the open letter in the event that he signs a mega deal with another team or is traded.

I agree that this is most likely a brand pumping move by Lamar.

Like 2035, I can't wait to tune in.

He was already pleading his case on the sample video I saw.  Trying to insure fans that yes, he's more than capable of directing a pass oriented offense just as he did in college. 

• russsnyder likes this

#4708 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:03 AM

Like anyone should give a s*** about Truzz Productionz or Lamar Jackson Enterprises. 

He wants to sign a long term deal with the Ravens and invest in a minority share of ownership in the Orioles, or even in boring stuff like real estate development, great. You have my attention. 

He's doing this to get people to "like and subscribe?" Lol. Is his camp made up of teenagers?

Maybe not age wise but certainly in maturity level. 

#4709 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:11 AM

Moral still applies, but he also got $16.7M fully guaranteed in 2022 instead of that contract. So gotta add that to his Bengals deal when comparing to what he ultimately accepted to what he turned down up front. Depending on the structure and guarantees in what KC offered on the back-end, certainly looks like he's behind where he would've been.

Its not impossible that Lamar has turned down the biggest offer he's gonna get. I don't fully expect that, but things easily could turn out that way. It is very close to impossible, however, that he still won't collect an astounding amount of money over the next several years.

I'm curious what the 4th/5th year was as well because it looks like only the first 2 years were fully guaranteed of the Chiefs offer.

I agree with Mike though that it's still cautionary, Lamar could have turned down his best offer already. I certainly wouldn't feel a need to bid against myself if he's not getting any external movement.

Also Laramy Tunsil just got himself a 3/75M deal with 50 fully guaranteed. 3 years ago he got a 3/66 deal with 50 guaranteed. He reps himself. Got very high AAV by taking a short deal with still most guaranteed. Can cash in in 3 years again. These aren't QB numbers of course, but maybe that's the route he should be going. He'd have to bet he stops getting hurt obviously, but being a FA every couple years is great as long as you're still good.

#4710 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:12 AM

He was already pleading his case on the sample video I saw. Trying to insure fans that yes, he's more than capable of directing a pass oriented offense just as he did in college.

I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the heads up.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#4711 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:17 AM

Stephen A. Smith all season up until just now: The Ravens are foolish not to give Lamar what he wants - the moment he becomes available to other teams, someone will grab him in an instant and make the Ravens regret it.

Stephen A. Smith today: I'm not surprised Lamar hasn't received an offer yet.

• DuffMan likes this

#4712 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:25 AM

Stephen A. Smith all season up until just now: The Ravens are foolish not to give Lamar what he wants - the moment he becomes available to other teams, someone will grab him in an instant and make the Ravens regret it.

SAS and all the other ESPN talking heads before this year - I don't think Lamar can win a championship.

SAS and all the other ESPN talking heads this year - Top QB, you have to pay him whatever he wants.

I wonder why he had a change of heart?

#4713 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:25 AM

Dont know his reasoning for changing his tune. There is surely a lot of interest there if he were unrestricted but the hoops all the other teams have to jump through to pry him away I underestimated. You really are likely to be doing the bidding for Baltimore unless you go real big. The owners seemingly have drawn a line in the sand at fully guaranteed. So youre essentially creating all this space hoping Baltimore doesnt decide to match. You can really put them to the test for sure and thats where I seemingly was wrong. I thought someone would go all in on really putting BMore to the test. If you fail youre left holding your D but you pick yourself up and move on.

#4714 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:30 AM

If Stephen A knew 25% of what he thinks he knows he would be good.  Sadly he doesn't and isn't.

@mikeghg

#4715 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:31 AM

With Lamar not having an agent do you think its any less likely we would see smoke signals if he started seriously negotiating with another team? I do think we could see something pop up out of the relative blue here. It doesnt benefit the team negotiating with Lamar to put it out there and it doesnt benefit Lamar either. Especially if its not multiple teams all trying to woo him. If its 1 team I think it can and will be on the low. We would heat maybe the night before or 8 hours before something break. "Lamar intends to sign an offer sheet with......"

#4716 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:35 AM

Ill ask again if anyone knows offhand or has heard. When is the last time a franchise tagged player was signed to an offer sheet?

#4717 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:41 AM

I get the frustration, but I don't really understand those are so over it that they are now rooting for a unfavorable result as long as its quick (or almost to that point) just so they can avoid the noise.  Not that hard to just ignore it and look the other direction.  On the other hand, rooting or praying or hoping doesn't do anything to influence the actual outcome, so do whatever helps get you through the day and maintain your sanity.

The reality is he's going to make a fortune however this comes out.The team traded out of the 2nd round into the first to get him. They tailored an offense around his skill set and while we don't know exact numbers, it's a safe bet that they're  offering him a fortune. Talk about ungrateful. 

#4718 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:43 AM

Ill ask again if anyone knows offhand or has heard. When is the last time a franchise tagged player was signed to an offer sheet?

Sean Gilbert is the only guy to sign a sheet and switch teams for the picks.  I can't find any other franchise tag players that even signed a sheet.

Steve Hutchison signed an offer sheet, but he was technically on the transition tag at the time.  Nate Burleson was then signed as an RFA.  These were the two deals that led to the NFL removing the poison pill.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#4719 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:44 AM

SAS and all the other ESPN talking heads before this year - I don't think Lamar can win a championship.

SAS and all the other ESPN talking heads this year - Top QB, you have to pay him whatever he wants.

I wonder why he had a change of heart?

Yet another reason why I pay these clowns no attention and  almost everyone who posts here seem to think their word is gospel.  :mrgreen:

#4720 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 20 March 2023 - 11:47 AM

With Lamar not having an agent do you think its any less likely we would see smoke signals if he started seriously negotiating with another team? I do think we could see something pop up out of the relative blue here. It doesnt benefit the team negotiating with Lamar to put it out there and it doesnt benefit Lamar either. Especially if its not multiple teams all trying to woo him. If its 1 team I think it can and will be on the low. We would heat maybe the night before or 8 hours before something break. "Lamar intends to sign an offer sheet with......"

I don't generally think that "player without agent will have fewer leaks than player with agent", though I do think that specifically Lamar without an agent is less likely to have leaks than if he had one.  He and the Ravens kept everything quiet for multiple years.  So certainly Lamar can do it.  Maybe he's changing his mind and wants his side out more now, and he could do it, but if he continues to prefer discretion he's got the mettle for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=