#4661 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2023 - 12:52 PM

I can’t believe everyone still finds this so interesting with zero news. I hate it.
  • Hooded Viper, Mashed Potatoes, Mike B and 1 other like this

#4662 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 12:56 PM

I can’t believe everyone still finds this so interesting with zero news. I hate it.

I agree with this fully. I mostly scroll quickly through this thread. I just cant believe how much the NFL has trained or brainwashed fans into obsessive offseason talk. Whether FA or draft. Camps. Yeah, Lamar situation is bigger than most but still. People obsess over football and quite frankly its the most watered down of the big 3 sports in America.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#4663 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:49 PM

https://www.si.com/f...r-lamar-jackson

Mentions that the Colts, Titans, and maybe the Vikings are possible destinations, but also says that nobody has even submitted a complete offer sheet.

#4664 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:59 PM

I agree with this fully. I mostly scroll quickly through this thread. I just cant believe how much the NFL has trained or brainwashed fans into obsessive offseason talk. Whether FA or draft. Camps. Yeah, Lamar situation is bigger than most but still. People obsess over football and quite frankly its the most watered down of the big 3 sports in America.

Football just works better for most people. 

- Easier to understand.

- Once a week games.

- Gambling aspect.

- Salary cap. 

- Drafting of names people know. 

NBA has some similar elements, but not the 'violence.' 

MLB is less subjective, but is just an afterthought in the hierarchy. 

The NFL just controls sports discussion in this country. 
Hard to see that changing.
Remember when CTE talk first blew up, and people were wondering about, 'The future of football?" 
Does this train ever stop? 

• cprenegade likes this

#4665 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:04 PM

Football is the only sport I give two shits about so that would explain my interest.  Can't speak for the others. 

#4666 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:12 PM

Does this bus stop at 82nd street?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4667 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:14 PM

https://www.si.com/f...r-lamar-jackson

Mentions that the Colts, Titans, and maybe the Vikings are possible destinations, but also says that nobody has even submitted a complete offer sheet.

Titans have under 15M cap space but could create 27M by cutting Tannehill with post-June 1 designation and create like 30M more with restructures. Lamar and Henry would be a force. They haven't said no as far as I know. They shouldn't feel the 11th pick is too much to give up. Who knows if they like Willis, but they barely played him last year.

The Vikings seem like they are over the cap at the moment per OTC, which can't be right, but I don't know how they'd make it happen. Cousins seems to be 48M in dead money and already used void years. They don't have an unusual ton of money to restructure/cut, the Ravens would have to simply decline to match whatever they did.

#4668 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:20 PM

Football just works better for most people.

- Easier to understand.
- Once a week games.
- Gambling aspect.
- Salary cap.
- Drafting of names people know.

NBA has some similar elements, but not the 'violence.'
MLB is less subjective, but is just an afterthought in the hierarchy.

The NFL just controls sports discussion in this country.
Hard to see that changing.
Remember when CTE talk first blew up, and people were wondering about, 'The future of football?"

Have talked to Herm about seriously walking away from watching it. I dont. Prob wont ever commit to doing it. Im just so turned off by the oversaturation of a mediocre and dangerous product

#4669 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:30 PM

The following sports are better than the NFL

MLB
CBB
NBA
CFB
  • You Play to Win the Game and CantonJester like this

@bopper33

#4670 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,770 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:32 PM

Titans have under 15M cap space but could create 27M by cutting Tannehill with post-June 1 designation and create like 30M more with restructures.

Minor point, but they wouldn't get credit for the cap space until June if they make him a June 1 designee.
  • makoman likes this

#4671 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:32 PM

Minor point, but they wouldn't get credit for the cap space until June if they make him a June 1 designee.

Everyone find your own #macgif im watching basketball
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

@bopper33

#4672 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:38 PM

I knew you could designate early but didn't know that, makes sense. They could save 17 instead by cutting immediately.

• Mackus likes this

#4673 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2023 - 02:52 PM

https://i.imgur.com/ebnEWM0.gifv

Here you go Pedro. TwentyThirtyFive will like this choice of macgif lol.

#4674 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 03:09 PM

https://i.imgur.com/ebnEWM0.gifv

Here you go Pedro. TwentyThirtyFive will like this choice of macgif lol.

Look at that bitch sell that bball to the face. Like he just got shot or something.

#4675 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 03:19 PM

The 4th pick has plenty of value... if the Colts are willing to trade two #1s, and give him the contract he seeks, and make him their franchise... then it doesn't hold more value to Indianapolis.

If they give the Ravens the 4th now, the Ravens will probably take that offer.
If they don't give the Ravens the 4th... the Ravens might feel the compensation is not enough, and match the offer.

With Lamar, no doubt the Colts would feel like a true contender. That would put their two firsts in the late 20's or worse. I don't think saying the 4th this season is the same value as two firsts in '24 and '25 is correct. If it's a shot at Lamar, and the 4th this year and a first next vs the 4th this year AND the shot at Lamar for the next two (probably late) first rounders. I'm taking option 2.

#4676 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 03:25 PM

It's highly unlikely they would be able to make an offer the Ravens couldn't potentially match. What happens to them if they put all their eggs in the Lamar basket, the Ravens match, and then they're left without a quarterback? Do they just start Minshew and tank for next year?

I think that's a risk that fans are willing to make, but that I don't think GMs and coaches who have jobs on the line would make them.

Something else - there is a very big risk in acquiring Lamar so late in the offseason. Lamar requires an offense that is tailored to his strengths, just like any quarterback, and he is a huge departure from what they had with Matt Ryan or what they currently have with Minshew. There's no guarantee at all that acquiring him at the end of April or early May would give them enough time to install a completely different offense with the same offensive coaching staff. I don't know if that's a rusk that a coach and GM want to hang their careers on.

More than anything, I'm really beginning to believe that the rest of the league doesn't view Lamar like the Ravens or Lamar views Lamar. I have no doubt he would get a big deal if he were an unrestricted free agent, but it seems clear to me that the rest of the league does not look at him like an elite quarterback. This goes along with those anonymous quotes we've heard in the past from coaches and coordinators about Lamar's shortcomings. Whether those viewpoints are fair or not is debatable, but the actions, or rather inactions, of the rest of the league tells the story for me. I don't think anyone here, including me, expect there to be no offers at this point.

I think Lamar fits more offenses than a lot of people would readily admit. Ran a pro style offense in college to near perfection. Not to mention the Colts HC ran an offense last season that led to the emergence of Jalen Hurts. That same OC would now have the chance to run that offense with Lamar, arguably the best RB in football, Pittman, and a really good offensive line. I'd say their HC gives even more credence to their possible interest in Lamar.

I don't understand what's so hard to understand here. Colts have Minshew. They have no other viable options at this point, outside of Levis, Richardson or Lamar. If they draft a QB at 4 (Levis or Richardson) Minshew is likely the starter out of the gates anyway. So why not just take an elite defensive prospect, take the shot at Lamar while keeping your elite prospect this season, and roll with Minshew in a plan B anyway?

#4677 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 03:42 PM

I think Lamar fits more offenses than a lot of people would readily admit. Ran a pro style offense in college to near perfection. Not to mention the Colts HC ran an offense last season that led to the emergence of Jalen Hurts. That same OC would now have the chance to run that offense with Lamar, arguably the best RB in football, Pittman, and a really good offensive line. I'd say their HC gives even more credence to their possible interest in Lamar.
I don't understand what's so hard to understand here. Colts have Minshew. They have no other viable options at this point, outside of Levis, Richardson or Lamar. If they draft a QB at 4 (Levis or Richardson) Minshew is likely the starter out of the gates anyway. So why not just take an elite defensive prospect, take the shot at Lamar while keeping your elite prospect this season, and roll with Minshew in a plan B anyway?

Makes perfect sense but are they willing to give him a guaranteed contract? If they aren't, they'll see the same rejection the Ravens have.

#4678 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 03:55 PM

Lamar isn't going anywhere,  This season

#4679 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 19 March 2023 - 04:01 PM

Makes perfect sense but are they willing to give him a guaranteed contract? If they aren't, they'll see the same rejection the Ravens have.

We assume that Lamar is guaranteed or bust but it's quite possible he is willing to sign something like 6/300 with 180m guaranteed at signing. That's more total money than the Ravens offered and like 40% more in guaranteed money at signing.

By the way I heard a rumor (unsubstantiated) that teams frequently don't bother with escrow on guaranteed money and just pay out the present value of the guaranteed money upfront. Maybe Lamar knows this and really wants the cash.

#4680 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 04:05 PM

You believe that. Does the league?

I don't care who your HC is - trying to install a brand new offense takes everyone on board and everyone getting practice and reps. I heard over and over again that the Ravens couldn't let Lamar walk because they would need to install a whole new offense in just one offseason, and that wasn't very feasible. What makes someone confident the Colts could install a brand new offense - even one the HC is familiar with - in 3 months? Also, Lamar is not Jalen Hurts. Even if the offenses are similar, they will not be plug and play, and it for sure won't be easy, especially with only 2-3 months to learn it.

I'm not saying the Colts won't take a shot at Lamar, but I think it is FAR from a certainty that they will in any meaningful way. As for your last comment about why they wouldn't just take a shot with Lamar over a rookie, there are about 230+ guaranteed million reasons why they'd rather go with a promising young QB on a rookie contract, along with two first round picks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=