#941 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 March 2022 - 06:33 PM

I felt like us almost getting Sean Miller to jump from Arizona, then settling for Turgeon, was a real gut punch. So just the fact that we didn't have to go through that is a plus.

I don't like the half court offense that Turgeon ran, and Willard runs something similar. But when I've seen Willard's teams run it, they have been more crisp with execution. Turgeon definitely relied on having great ball handlers but what irked me more was that his half court set seemed to consist of waiting for 20 seconds, then either iso into pull up 3, or dive into the lane and pray for a foul.

#942 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2022 - 06:53 PM

I don't like the half court offense that Turgeon ran, and Willard runs something similar. But when I've seen Willard's teams run it, they have been more crisp with execution. Turgeon definitely relied on having great ball handlers but what irked me more was that his half court set seemed to consist of waiting for 20 seconds, then either iso into pull up 3, or dive into the lane and pray for a foul.

For what was termed a motion offense, motion was completely lacking under Turgeon. I haven't seen enough SH to know what to expect (save Friday's disaster), but if it includes more a lot more picks, cuts and off-ball movement than we excruciatingly became accustomed to, then I can live with a slower pace. I always enjoyed watching those Princeton teams under Pete Carril back in the day; and they were anything but up-tempo, but that doesn't mean there wasn't constant movement and action to follow, both on and away from the ball.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#943 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 07:27 PM

Right...I prefer a quick pace but a slower pace that actually produces looks is fine. The weave and heave offense was painful.

#944 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2022 - 08:12 PM

For what was termed a motion offense, motion was completely lacking under Turgeon. I haven't seen enough SH to know what to expect (save Friday's disaster), but if it includes more a lot more picks, cuts and off-ball movement than we excruciatingly became accustomed to, then I can live with a slower pace. I always enjoyed watching those Princeton teams under Pete Carril back in the day; and they were anything but up-tempo, but that doesn't mean there wasn't constant movement and action to follow, both on and away from the ball.

Yeah if you want to see a recent example of how they looked against a good team when they were trying and Willard wasn't clearly already focused on the Maryland job lol, their game at Villanova was basically even all 40 minutes 

she/her

#945 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 March 2022 - 10:09 PM

I think Turgeon's teams did move off-ball, but it was just really ineffectual. When Willard runs them the timing is just better. The picks actually force the defense to make a decision on switches, the cuts seem to throw off the defense more and result in open looks. One of the things I noticed when Stix was on the team was how ineffectual the picks were, and how they never forced the defense to make a switch decision. This is something that never really improved no matter who was playing for Turgeon.

#946 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2022 - 03:28 PM

Wasn't someone extolling the virtues of Memphis hiring Penny Hardaway in this thread?

https://www.commerci...ion/7177724001/

#947 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:29 PM

Mike Brey is planning to retire at the end of the season so that certainly seems like a good piece of context for why he didn't get the job https://twitter.com/...181539007512577

she/her

#948 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 19 January 2023 - 04:32 PM

Mike Brey is planning to retire at the end of the season so that certainly seems like a good piece of context for why he didn't get the job https://twitter.com/...181539007512577

If only they wouldve hired Sean Miller. Had 2 chances too. :angry:

#949 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 January 2023 - 06:08 PM

If only they wouldve hired Sean Miller. Had 2 chances too. :angry:

Sean Miller just lost to DePaul last night, chill chill. Yes I’m still bitter lol.

#950 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 March 2023 - 01:17 PM

Andy Enfield, widely considered the other leading candidate, loses to MSU in a 7-10 first round matchup 

• sandiegosean likes this

she/her

#951 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 March 2023 - 01:22 PM

Andy Enfield, widely considered the other leading candidate, loses to MSU in a 7-10 first round matchup

And Sean Miller’s in big trouble right now against mighty Kennesaw State lol
@BSLZackKiesel

#952 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 March 2023 - 02:17 PM

And Sean Miller’s in big trouble right now against mighty Kennesaw State lol

He survived.  Barely.

@mikeghg

#953 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 March 2023 - 02:22 PM

He survived. Barely.

Yep, his first NCAA Tournament win since 2017 (technically 2015, since the 2017 wins have since been vacated due to recruiting violations).
  • Mike B likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#954 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:24 PM

Sean Miller to the S16 in his first year at a new stop. Must be nice.

#955 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:30 PM

Not exactly a new stop.

#956 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 19 March 2023 - 01:39 PM

Not exactly a new stop.

first year back at the program. He shoulda done it here but you got pansies running the AD and as big time donors

#957 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 March 2023 - 04:36 PM

With his track record, you probably want to wait a few years to make sure he doesn’t have to vacate these wins for cheating.
@BSLZackKiesel

#958 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 May 2023 - 05:10 PM

Bronny James commits to USC, that seems like a fun new wrinkle for why it wasn't Enfield 

https://twitter.com/...970514249601024

she/her

#959 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 05:20 PM

Who's that?

#960 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner