962 replies to this topic

#901 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,193 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 06:30 PM

Xavier not risk adverse as they bring back Miller. Anyone really want to take MD over Xavier going forward over the next 5+ years.

#902 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 07:02 PM

It’s going to be brutal for the fans when Michigan has to fire Howard one day. What a stupid hire.
@BSLMikeRandall

#903 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,944 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 07:35 PM

It’s going to be brutal for the fans when Michigan has to fire Howard one day. What a stupid hire.

I genuinely don't recall and can't find it in a cursory search of the thread...who has made the argument that we shouldn't hire an alum because you might have to fire them one day?

I totally disagree with that mindset. Its a nonsense reason to avoid hiring somebody.  I'd be concerned with Dixon's lack of success at Coppin and with Blake's extremely limited experience (and wonder what the deal was with his mid-year, pre-bubble dismissal along with another assistant in Phoenix), but no part of the equation should be that it might make the 30th reunion of the championship team awkward if they had to fire Dixon or Blake at some point.

#904 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2022 - 07:50 PM

My not wanting to hire Blake or Dixon are for the reasons you stated. I did mention in passing that, on top of neither of them being remotely qualified, as a huge fan of both, firing them would suck. I never said Evans shouldn’t touch them, if he felt they were qualified, just that as a fan, it would blow. If I thought an alum was actually qualified, it wouldn’t even be a factor. I stand by that. Anyone who has a problem with such an egregious take can blow me where the pampers is.
  • Mackus likes this

#905 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 08:45 PM

I genuinely don't recall and can't find it in a cursory search of the thread...who has made the argument that we shouldn't hire an alum because you might have to fire them one day?

I totally disagree with that mindset. Its a nonsense reason to avoid hiring somebody. I'd be concerned with Dixon's lack of success at Coppin and with Blake's extremely limited experience (and wonder what the deal was with his mid-year, pre-bubble dismissal along with another assistant in Phoenix), but no part of the equation should be that it might make the 30th reunion of the championship team awkward if they had to fire Dixon or Blake at some point.

Jordan said it some ten pages back.
@BSLMikeRandall

#906 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 08:48 PM

I'm pretty firmly opposed to going down the team legend road for Maryland or any other job across any sport, you don't want to end up firing a beloved player lol

@BSLMikeRandall

#907 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2022 - 09:37 PM

Saint Peter’s is incredibly well coached.

I wonder if MD’s search firm took stuff like that into consideration. I wish I was joking.

#908 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,193 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:22 PM

I wonder if MD’s search firm took stuff like that into consideration. I wish I was joking.

Lol. No. SH is so happy we took Willard so they can get Holloway.

#909 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:31 PM

Seems like every year we see a team go on an improbable run in the tournament, their coach gets a bigger job, and you never hear from him again. If Turgeon had been fired after last year, people would be out here clamoring for Paul Mills.

After UCLA hired Mick Cronin, their fans were ready to riot. Then he took them to a Final Four and is on his way to another Sweet Sixteen and suddenly he doesn’t seem so bad to them.
@BSLZackKiesel

#910 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:38 PM

I honestly don’t put it on the search firm. I imagine they did their homework on everyone. If they didn’t, they wouldn't be in business. I think it’s just MD knows who they want from the get-go, doesn’t care what other info is presented to them, and just goes through the motions with the whole process. The names and faces in the administration may change, but the incompetence and intransigence remains deeply embedded in the DNA.

#911 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:41 PM

I honestly don’t put it on the search firm. I imagine they did their homework on everyone. If they didn’t, they wouldn't be in business. I think it’s just MD knows who they want from the get-go, doesn’t care what other info is presented to them, and just goes through the motions with the whole process. The names and faces in the administration may change, but the incompetence and intransigence remains deeply embedded in the DNA.

One thing they have a particular knack for is misappropriating and wasting resources, so you’re probably right.

#912 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:48 PM

Seems like every year we see a team go on an improbable run in the tournament, their coach gets a bigger job, and you never hear from him again. If Turgeon had been fired after last year, people would be out here clamoring for Paul Mills.

After UCLA hired Mick Cronin, their fans were ready to riot. Then he took them to a Final Four and is on his way to another Sweet Sixteen and suddenly he doesn’t seem so bad to them.

For each of these types of situations, there are countless examples the other way too.

#913 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,193 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:56 PM

We have to have some of the worst power brokers for a P6 school. Consistently bad decisions when it comes to their revenue generating athletic sports and its been that way for a long time.

#914 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,193 posts

Posted 19 March 2022 - 11:03 PM

Seriously when is the last time a good decision has been made for the basketball or football programs.

#915 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 March 2022 - 11:42 PM

Saint Peter's has been way better on defense than offense across the course of the whole season so do whatever you want with that information lol

Screen-Shot-2022-03-20-at-12-41-03-AM.pn

#916 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 March 2022 - 11:54 PM

Shaka Smart to Texas and Archie Miller to Indiana both seemed like slam dunks after tournament success at mid-majors and then neither of them won a tournament game before leaving those jobs too lol

• Mackus and BSLZackKiesel like this

#917 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 09:12 AM

Saint Peter's has been way better on defense than offense across the course of the whole season so do whatever you want with that information lol

Screen-Shot-2022-03-20-at-12-41-03-AM.pn

What website do you use to get these metrics?
@DaKittenz

#918 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,944 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 09:31 AM

Seriously when is the last time a good decision has been made for the basketball or football programs.

Firing Turgeon (or letting him know it was coming so he could resign) in December was a good move.

Nothing wrong with Willard.  He's not flashy and not a home run, so they've missed out on some of those for sure.  But it can't be called a bad hire.  He's got a good coaching resume and has done a good job improving a lower tier school.  Plenty of reason for optimism that he can do good things here.

Disappointing process, sure, but the final result is acceptable.  Criticism and frustration that it's merely acceptable and should've been able to do better is fair.  I haven't seen it specifically here, but anyone calling it a disaster is just delving into histrionics.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#919 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 March 2022 - 10:59 AM

One thing we'll definitely see with Willard is a much tougher non-conference schedule. He's never shied away from scheduling tough games for his teams right out of the gate.

@BSLZackKiesel

#920 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 March 2022 - 11:07 AM

One thing we'll definitely see with Willard is a much tougher non-conference schedule. He's never shied away from scheduling tough games for his teams right out of the gate.

I’ve listened to him talk several times now on postgame interviews and other radio style interviews and he’s got a completely different mindset than Turgeon. That in and of itself is reason for hope.
  • makoman likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=