962 replies to this topic

#921 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,942 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 11:12 AM

He was an assistant for Pitino for a decade. Hopefully he picked up all the good traits while being able to stay away from the scummy behavior.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#922 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 March 2022 - 11:15 AM

I’ve listened to him talk several times now on postgame interviews and other radio style interviews and he’s got a completely different mindset than Turgeon. That in and of itself is reason for hope.

The “Turgeon 2.0” comparison that some people are making is a lazy one IMO. Willard is an intense, East Coast guy who embraces high-level competition. He’s known as an excellent player development coach, which was one of the biggest knocks on Turgeon. They’re both more defensive-minded, but that’s a style that’ll win in the Big Ten and Willard is far more willing to let his teams run in transition.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mike B like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#923 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 11:21 AM

Some commentary when Turgeon was hired:

https://baltimorespo...nt-part-1-of-2/

• You Play to Win the Game, Mackus and Mike B like this

#924 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,942 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 11:40 AM

The “Turgeon 2.0” comparison that some people are making is a lazy one IMO. Willard is an intense, East Coast guy who embraces high-level competition. He’s known as an excellent player development coach, which was one of the biggest knocks on Turgeon. They’re both more defensive-minded, but that’s a style that’ll win in the Big Ten and Willard is far more willing to let his teams run in transition.

I think he's a very similar level of hire as Turgeon was.  That doesn't mean he's an identical personality, but the quality of hire is very similar.  They share more similarities in resume and style than they have differences, IMO.  Long career as an assistant for a HOF coach, Turgeon had more success at the stepping stone level (Jax St, Wichita St versus Iona) but Willard had a longer and arguably more successful record at the immediate prior job.  Both were good hires but were not the person fans initially wanted.  

#925 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,462 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 March 2022 - 11:40 AM

Fun to look back on, now that we’ve moved in. DeCourcy and King both had some absolutely spot on comments about him.

This rang particularly true, IMO:

Mike DeCourcy: “Turgeon is a very composed coach. A class guy, and you rarely see him cracked. Typically what you see out of his teams is a standard to meet expectations. Not exceed or fall below, not a lot of shockers. In my piece with Sporting News (http://aol.sportingn...d#ixzz1LxC8RJtw) I point out the lack of upsets.”

#926 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,338 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 March 2022 - 11:54 AM

I'm honestly shocked they did it. Please give me Sean Miller back.

Let’s go!

#927 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 March 2022 - 11:55 AM

Yea, while I am not overly excited by the hire, I do not hate it either. I want a coach with fire and I think Willard is that.  Time will tell, but Willard does not seem like Turgeon to me.

I like that it is done, let’s hit the recruiting trail and get ready for the portal,  Time to work,

@mikeghg

#928 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:09 PM

What website do you use to get these metrics?

Kenpom

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#929 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:13 PM

Yeah I think that's an underrated positive compared to Turgeon, he was at Iona before getting the Seton Hall job and played at Pitt. I feel very confident we'll never get a story that he didn't like the job because the fans were jerks 

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#930 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:15 PM

Jason King’s question on his first comment rang true.  

@mikeghg

#931 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:27 PM

Man, was Jay Bilas Turgeon's best friend or what?

• Mike B likes this

#932 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:50 PM

Man, was Jay Bilas Turgeon's best friend or what?

I showed the article to my son, and told him Turgeon and Bilas must be related.

• makoman likes this
@mikeghg

#933 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 01:12 PM

Wow, some of those comments regarding Turgeon are spot on.  Exactly what he ended up being - pretty decent coach, won most of the games he should have, lost most of the games he should have.

Ready to move on with whoever the hire may be.  Agree that those comments regarding the coach next year were unfortunate.

#934 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2022 - 01:35 PM

Mike DeCourcy: “I think it was the right decision to hire an experienced Coach, but I do think there were other attractive candidates, such as Mick Cronin of Cincinnati, Chris Mack of Xavier, and Shaka Smart of  VCU. Again, Maryland got a good Coach, not sure they got the right one. I thought Turgeon was in a perfect situation for him at Texas A&M.”

It's funny seeing this knowing that Mack/Shaka were failures after leaving those teams for Louisville/Texas meanwhile Cronin has UCLA back to being nationally relevant and good in the tournament

#935 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 727 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 02:36 PM

On the surface, Wilard's resume is about the same as Turgeon's when he was hired.  So, not so inspiring. Additionally, I was a little leery of Willard's lack of success in the tournament, but after googling him for the last hour; I am somewhat optimistic.    Willard has gone to the tournament 5 of the last 6 years which is much better than Turgeon.   Willard was able to build Seton Hall into a reoccurring NCAA tourney team despite not being able to compete for the big recruits nationally.   He seems to be a good coach who develops talent.  This seems to be the opposite of Turgeon who recruited well but never took advantage of his talented rosters.  If Willard could develop a recruiting base in the local area or attract some national level recruits to the DC area, he could be successful.   In this respect, he sounds a lot more like Gary than Mark which is probably what the school was looking for. 

The other thing I like about him is he seems very engaging.  He smiles, laughs, seems to enjoy what he is doing.  Not that Turgeon didn't.  Turgeon just seemed like he didn't like being here which I guess is why he quit mid-season. 

So, welcome Coach Willard. 

#936 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2022 - 04:05 PM

Good story from someone who's covered Seton Hall since Willard got the job

https://www.app.com/...all/7103688001/

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLMikeLowe, BSLZackKiesel and 1 other like this

#937 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2022 - 04:27 PM

Good story from someone who's covered Seton Hall since Willard got the job

https://www.app.com/...all/7103688001/

Nice summary. He seems like a very high-character person who cares deeply about his players. Also no lack of traits mentioned that ring of Mark Turgeon. Doesn't seem like he has that "Jersey guy" persona.

The writer also makes him sound like more of a GW-type when it comes to recruiting, more interested in overlooked kids with a chip on their shoulder rather than the blue ones.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#938 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,462 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 March 2022 - 05:12 PM

Nice summary. He seems like a very high-character person who cares deeply about his players. Also no lack of traits mentioned that ring of Mark Turgeon. Doesn't seem like he has that "Jersey guy" persona.

The writer also makes him sound like more of a GW-type when it comes to recruiting, more interested in overlooked kids with a chip on their shoulder rather than the blue ones.

My hope would be, at Maryland, he can get both. He hasn’t necessarily been able to land top recruits at The Hall.

#939 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 March 2022 - 05:14 PM

My hope would be, at Maryland, he can get both. He hasn’t necessarily been able to land top recruits at The Hall.

Right, he hasn’t really had a choice but to embrace those more developmental players thus far in his career.
@BSLZackKiesel

#940 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2022 - 05:21 PM

I tend to believe most coaches stick with what they've had prior success with when changing jobs. Maybe Willard could have sold higher-rated players on playing for him at Seton Hall, but he just preferred a different profile of recruit?

People talk about how Gary didn't get the blue chips because he didn't want any part of the shady AAU scene, and I don't doubt that's true, but I tend to think there was more to it. I think he didn't connect well with a lot of the big time recruits who mostly viewed college as a brief stepping stone, and vice versa. Maybe that's just who Willard is too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=