67 replies to this topic

#41 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:00 PM

After rewatching I just noticed on a play by KC, they ran an end around to Hill. At one point Oweh was running stride for stride with Hill up the sideline for about 15 yards.... That's insane .

#42 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:11 PM

After rewatching I just noticed on a play by KC, they ran an end around to Hill. At one point Oweh was running stride for stride with Hill up the sideline for about 15 yards.... That's insane .

Especially for a man his size.  Its just incredible, natural athleticism.  I almost wish he was a running back. (LOL) 

#43 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 03:30 PM

Pretty sure he could play a mean TE...

#44 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 04:00 PM

True. I think overall, if they can avoid anymore season ending injuries on offense, get Bateman back healthy, continue to evolve in a positive way along the line, sustain an already impressive running attack, the sky is the limit what this offense could become. The secondary is not playing well right now but hopefully, they'll get themselves back on track too. Amazing how a win like Sunday night can transform even the most pessimistic diehard.

I feel the same way. We still have some guys coming back that can help both the offense and defense in a big way. Hopefully (knock on wood) we've experienced our fair share of season ending injuries and we can play out the season relatively healthy.

#45 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 September 2021 - 11:41 PM

There doesn't seem to be much criticism of the game plans and play calling of Roman and Martindale. I think observers might expect them to follow their usual patterns, but I think both of them adapted to what was needed to compete with the Chiefs. Martindale dialed back on the blitzing. Roman did not abandon the run when they got behind. Both sides benefitted from really good play in the trenches. And who needs a blitz when you have Odafe Oweh?

The improvement in one week of the offensive line is unbelievable. Was the Raiders pass rush that much better than the Chiefs? Was Stanley that bad? And is the right too difficult a switch for Villanueva? I'm eager to see more of Cleveland.

Finally, an impression: as I watched Lamar Jackson Sunday night, I marveled that we have the most dynamic, exciting player in the league at the helm. His athleticism and leadership and competitive fire are unmatched. He is just out there on the edge all the time, and I hope it is sustainable, having our entire fortune hanging on one guy always being exceptional. I think they need to continue working toward getting more skill players involved, more receivers, more runners, so Lamar isn't relied on to do so much. The second interception I think was a result of him thinking "if it's going to get done I've got to do it." I don't want to do anything to slow him down or keep him from doing what he does, but it's a team sport.

#46 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:36 AM

Lamar has to help himself if you dont want to rely on him, his legs in particular, to do so much. The thing is, it seems he knows himself best. Yes, he needs to keep working to get better but when needed he balls out and goes hard and does what he does best. Thats often not the case. The last guy here was a good QB when playing within himself, a good run game and a bit of handcuffs on. He always wanted to be Peyton Manning and throw 550 times a year. Thanks for the amazing '12 playoff run. Y ou earned your money. However, it also was the start of OCs coming in here and essentially handing him the keys( not Kubiak) and the results were mediocre at best from that point forward.

People fret over giving Lamar huge money and what that means when we do. Well, he certainly can and will eventually slow down but the player he is now in his prime is the exact guy who can do more with less around him. Thats not a shot at those around him because he does have solid talent around him but hes such a dynamic playmaker that finds ways to score and win. Hes a difference maker. Thats who you give money to, not the guys who cant make their OL look better and cant put balls on the run of the mill WRs that dont get the seperation like the superstars.

#47 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 05:45 AM

Things are going to be interesting when Bateman gets healthy. Will things open up more for Andrews? 

Once Bateman has some playing time teams won't be able to load the box and have to respect the passing game. It also opens up more running lanes for Jackson.

#48 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:05 AM

Once Bateman has some playing time teams won't be able to load the box and have to respect the passing game. It also opens up more running lanes for Jackson.

They're gonna load the box anyway. Lamar in an open field is too dangerous. I don't think Lamar is a bad QB by any stretch, but if you have the option of letting him run, versus leaving a receiver open, you leave the receiver open 24/7/365.

#49 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 06:49 AM

Lamar has to help himself if you dont want to rely on him, his legs in particular, to do so much. The thing is, it seems he knows himself best. Yes, he needs to keep working to get better but when needed he balls out and goes hard and does what he does best. Thats often not the case. The last guy here was a good QB when playing within himself, a good run game and a bit of handcuffs on. He always wanted to be Peyton Manning and throw 550 times a year. Thanks for the amazing '12 playoff run. Y ou earned your money. However, it also was the start of OCs coming in here and essentially handing him the keys( not Kubiak) and the results were mediocre at best from that point forward.

People fret over giving Lamar huge money and what that means when we do. Well, he certainly can and will eventually slow down but the player he is now in his prime is the exact guy who can do more with less around him. Thats not a shot at those around him because he does have solid talent around him but hes such a dynamic playmaker that finds ways to score and win. Hes a difference maker. Thats who you give money to, not the guys who cant make their OL look better and cant put balls on the run of the mill WRs that dont get the seperation like the superstars.

The big difference with Lamar is not only is he a "difference maker" but he makes everyone around him better.  How many times did we all complain about Joe Flacco and how he couldn't put the offense on his shoulders and raise their game?  Well, Lamar does.  I would imagine the Ravens would have a solid run game even with Flacco out there but when Lamar is standing behind center, the whole dynamic changes both for the offense and the defense facing them.  He's a game changer for sure. 

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:26 AM

The big difference with Lamar is not only is he a "difference maker" but he makes everyone around him better. How many times did we all complain about Joe Flacco and how he couldn't put the offense on his shoulders and raise their game? Well, Lamar does. I would imagine the Ravens would have a solid run game even with Flacco out there but when Lamar is standing behind center, the whole dynamic changes both for the offense and the defense facing them. He's a game changer for sure.

Roman is a run game master so I think he could build a solid run game with almost anyone. Lamar is what makes the run game so unique and so dangerous for sure. Yes, hes a difference maker. Hes by far tge best offensive player weve ever had. Shout out to Jamal for '03 but he still didnt touch the ball every play and therefore cant come close to Lamar. Yet we still have some people, even Ravens fans, who constantly doubt the man.

#51 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:34 AM

Lamar had a fumble and an INT in Buffalo last year in the playoff game to go along with a 61.5 passer rating and 45.8 QBR. In week 1, he fumbles twice, including the killer in OT. Then he throws 2 INT's in the 1st quarter against KC and everyone is convinced we're now definitely 0-2... no one deserves any criticism whatsoever at being a little upset at the guy at that point in time. He redeemed himself, and he needed to.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#52 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:49 AM

Lamar had a fumble and an INT in Buffalo last year in the playoff game to go along with a 61.5 passer rating and 45.8 QBR. In week 1, he fumbles twice, including the killer in OT. Then he throws 2 INT's in the 1st quarter against KC and everyone is convinced we're now definitely 0-2... no one deserves any criticism whatsoever at being a little upset at the guy at that point in time. He redeemed himself, and he needed to.

Criticism is allowed. The guy balls out and is truly a difference maker at this point in his career. He may never win the big one but he puts you in position by getting to the playoffs every year.

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 September 2021 - 07:59 AM

No doubt. And to be clear, you've got to extend him. Regardless of his play making, gotta clean up the 4 TO's in 2 weeks. That's unacceptable.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2021 - 08:48 AM

No doubt. And to be clear, you've got to extend him. Regardless of his play making, gotta clean up the 4 TO's in 2 weeks. That's unacceptable.

Agreed.  Lamar has not been a high turnover guy, so I am not to worried about that.

• Mackus likes this
@mikeghg

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,002 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:03 AM

I mean, I'll accept 1-1 including a win over the Chiefs. So not totally unacceptable. 

2 turnovers a week is not a sustainable model for success.  But I also don't think anyone should expect or be in fear of Lamar averaging even 1 turnover a week, yet alone 2, moving forward since he's only had 20 picks and 12 lost fumbles in 39 career starts.  Playoffs have been worse - 5 picks and 2 fumbles lost - in 4 games.  But that's a tenth as many games as the regular season.  Maybe he's getting jitters or whatever and forcing things in those playoff games that he doesn't in the regular season.  Or maybe it's just largely an oddity of a small sample.  

#56 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:04 AM

I give Lamar a pass on the pick 6. It was clear that the Watkins slip and fall messed that deal up. With that said, the end zone pick was inexcusable. Fumbles are tough, especially for a QB in a collapsing pocket because you can have people trying to hit you from all angles. The first fumble in Vegas was indeed poor ball security while trying to get an extra yard.

Don't get me wrong, turnovers are always bad but they don't always have a singular cause. Either way, it's no coincidence that we even up the turnover battle and squeaked out a win. 

• Mike B likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#57 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 10:08 AM

I just dont get the dont pay him thing. Again, to me he is the type of player right now who can do the heavy lifting and carry a team on a big salary. Age will catch up to him along with the wear and tear. It does all of us. Some sooner than others. Pretending when we know that will be is foolish. You can guess. I dont know that Id want him if he was 29 and 7 years in but thats not the case. Thats around the age when we will likely have to make another decision on him

#58 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:22 AM

I just dont get the dont pay him thing. Again, to me he is the type of player right now who can do the heavy lifting and carry a team on a big salary. Age will catch up to him along with the wear and tear. It does all of us. Some sooner than others. Pretending when we know that will be is foolish. You can guess. I dont know that Id want him if he was 29 and 7 years in but thats not the case. Thats around the age when we will likely have to make another decision on him

It's silly as hell. They have to pay him, it's just a matter of how much and the structure of the deal for real.  

• Steve55 likes this

#59 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:41 AM

Does anyone really think that at this point? Besides Bucky Brooks and Roll Tide? I feel like I haven't really seen that take anymore.

• bmore_ken likes this

#60 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 11:57 AM

Does anyone really think that at this point? Besides Bucky Brooks and Roll Tide? I feel like I haven't really seen that take anymore.

If the Ravens got rolled, if Lamar didn’t fight back after two early mistakes, I was about to spearhead that thought. At least take the stance that he had 15 more games to change my mind, or 32 considering he could play next year on his fifth year option. The way last season ended, the camp drama, key turnovers in week 1. Doubling down on those right off the bat in the first home game. I was as sour as I had ever been on the guy since lobbying for him to become the starter about a month before Flacco got hurt and Jackson had to start. In 3 quarters he as single handedly as one can in a team sport reminded us what the top tier guys do, put the team on their back a go win. KC did their part to give the game away, but the Ravens still had to earn it.

If other units on the team are lacking, #8 will give you a chance against anyone. Those are the guys you pay top dollar for.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=