67 replies to this topic

#61 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:04 PM

I wont' even link it but there is some idiot that is quoted to fansided today as a NFC personnel director that says Lamar has proven he can't do it in the playoffs and that he doesn't envy DeCosta's decision and that he wouldn't pay him. Sigh...and of course, the idiot writer makes it top fold piece of his article. Ridiclous. 

#62 JimJohnson

JimJohnson

HOF

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 12:08 PM

All QB's make those mistakes that look bad and hurt the team, even Tom Brady and, Sunday night, Patrick Mahomes. What makes those two great is how they come back from those mistakes and make plays that win games. Lamar showed that fortitude Sunday night. Yes, he has mistakes to clean up, but his ability to rise above them and dominate down the stretch was another step he took toward greatness.

• You Play to Win the Game, Mike in STL and makoman like this
Jim Johnson
BSL Contributor

#63 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:11 PM

I think that the difference in reaction when Mahomes threw that hilariously bad ball right at Tavon Young compared to Lamar's equally bad ball into triple coverage is a bit annoying to deal with. It's true that Mahomes has more built-in leeway because of his accomplishments. But IMO it shouldn't be that much more. They were both bad mistakes, and could have cost their teams the game. In the case of Mahomes it probably did.

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 03:37 PM

I think that the difference in reaction when Mahomes threw that hilariously bad ball right at Tavon Young compared to Lamar's equally bad ball into triple coverage is a bit annoying to deal with. It's true that Mahomes has more built-in leeway because of his accomplishments. But IMO it shouldn't be that much more. They were both bad mistakes, and could have cost their teams the game. In the case of Mahomes it probably did.

I thought Lamar's throw was a worse decision.  Mathieu's coverage was disguised, but there were still two other guys on the receiver not accounting for him and the team was in field goal range on 3rd and very long.  Gotta be at least thinking about making sure you don't get sacked or turn it over there, instead he took a big risk throwing into double coverage which became an even bigger risk when in actuality it was triple coverage.  I don't mind him not seeing Mathieu on that throw, it was great defensive play design, but I greatly mind him throwing into double coverage in that game situation.  If it were 3rd and long from our own 40 it's a lot different risk/reward than that same throw from their 30 which is a near lock for 3 points if you make it to 4th down without losing ground.

Mahomes' pick wasn't a bad decision in terms of trying to throw to a well covered receiver nor was it really that terrible in terms of game flow, being at midfield in the 4th quarter of a game you're up 10+.  Rather it was a bad choice in thinking he could get enough zip on the ball as he was being tackled.  He had Kelce mostly open coming back to the line, but as he went down he couldn't get anything on the ball and it floated, making it a laugher.  If it had anything behind it, Kelce may catch it.  It was more similar to a QB staying in the pocket too long and getting hit as he throws than being a case of a QB throwing into double coverage or thinking he can thread a needle with the ball (though of course Mahomes wasn't standing still in the pocket).

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#65 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 22 September 2021 - 09:27 PM

I thought Lamar's throw was a worse decision. Mathieu's coverage was disguised, but there were still two other guys on the receiver not accounting for him and the team was in field goal range on 3rd and very long. Gotta be at least thinking about making sure you don't get sacked or turn it over there, instead he took a big risk throwing into double coverage which became an even bigger risk when in actuality it was triple coverage. I don't mind him not seeing Mathieu on that throw, it was great defensive play design, but I greatly mind him throwing into double coverage in that game situation. If it were 3rd and long from our own 40 it's a lot different risk/reward than that same throw from their 30 which is a near lock for 3 points if you make it to 4th down without losing ground.

Mahomes' pick wasn't a bad decision in terms of trying to throw to a well covered receiver nor was it really that terrible in terms of game flow, being at midfield in the 4th quarter of a game you're up 10+. Rather it was a bad choice in thinking he could get enough zip on the ball as he was being tackled. He had Kelce mostly open coming back to the line, but as he went down he couldn't get anything on the ball and it floated, making it a laugher. If it had anything behind it, Kelce may catch it. It was more similar to a QB staying in the pocket too long and getting hit as he throws than being a case of a QB throwing into double coverage or thinking he can thread a needle with the ball (though of course Mahomes wasn't standing still in the pocket).

Fair enough. I thought Mahomes decision to try and make that play on your side of the field instead of eating the sack was comparable in severity to Lamar throwing it into coverage, but i see where you're coming from and I could go either way on it.

#66 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 23 September 2021 - 10:24 AM

I'm not sure if it's mentioned here but upon replay, Mahomes came dangerously close to doing the exact same thing on two other plays, and both fell harmlessly incomplete. 

Also to be fair, at the end when Lamar threw that pass to Brown that almost got picked off, that was (imo) just as bad.

#67 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 10:44 AM

I'm not sure if it's mentioned here but upon replay, Mahomes came dangerously close to doing the exact same thing on two other plays, and both fell harmlessly incomplete.

Also to be fair, at the end when Lamar threw that pass to Brown that almost got picked off, that was (imo) just as bad.

The Mahomes play was just as bad in my eyes. Lamar was a victim of a great defensive design, and what might be the best coverage safety in football. He misread everything pre-play, and post-snap. Ball should have never have been thrown. And I think Lamar knows that, and would be the first to admit that in hindsight.

However, Mahomes INT to Young was just as bad IMO. They both forced a pass. But Lamar misread coverage. Mahomes flat out just made a stupid play, trying to avoid a sack. He made a similar play on the intentional grounding call earlier in the game. Brady dominates because he rarely makes those mental mistakes. Sometimes you just have to eat it and live for the next play.

Problem is, Mahomes and Jackson thrive off of improvising plays. So, I think KC fans are in the same boat as Ravens fans. You'll live with the occasional stupid play, as long as the same kind of play continues to lead to huge, game breaking plays that both seem to consistently have a knack for making.
  • JStruds likes this

#68 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 02:48 PM

The Mahomes play was just as bad in my eyes. Lamar was a victim of a great defensive design, and what might be the best coverage safety in football. He misread everything pre-play, and post-snap. Ball should have never have been thrown. And I think Lamar knows that, and would be the first to admit that in hindsight.

However, Mahomes INT to Young was just as bad IMO. They both forced a pass. But Lamar misread coverage. Mahomes flat out just made a stupid play, trying to avoid a sack. He made a similar play on the intentional grounding call earlier in the game. Brady dominates because he rarely makes those mental mistakes. Sometimes you just have to eat it and live for the next play.

Problem is, Mahomes and Jackson thrive off of improvising plays. So, I think KC fans are in the same boat as Ravens fans. You'll live with the occasional stupid play, as long as the same kind of play continues to lead to huge, game breaking plays that both seem to consistently have a knack for making.

I don't think the grounding was that bad. He tried to throw it to the sideline. Difference between a sack and intentional grounding is basically nothing other than the opposing team doesn't get to pad stats. Brady airmails it to the sideline fairly often if he's under pressure. Only reason it might be bad is if you don't think he could get enough on the throw to keep it from being intercepted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=