#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:59 AM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...ff-their-backs/

Five thoughts (actually six) on the Ravens monumental victory over the Chiefs that will be talked about for years to come around these parts. 

• BSLChrisStoner, Mackus, Mike B and 5 others like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:13 AM

That was up there with the win against Jacksonville in 2000. Wish I had been there. Big win against a team that has had your number for years.

So Lamar has won a playoff game and beaten the Chiefs. Those were the two big roadblocks people kept bringing up about him. The only thing left to quiet down any remaining doubters is to win a SB.

• Mike B, Mike in STL and PrimeTime like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:29 AM

Also now the Ravens last two wins, both against good teams, were double digit comebacks.  

• DuffMan likes this

#4 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:39 AM

Nice article.

On the topic of Proche, it's tough to find targets for him if we're only throwing the ball around 30 times a game.  Brown had 6 catches on 10 targets and IIRC was open for 2 more but Jackson overthrew him.  Watkins went 4 for 7, and Andrews was 5 for 5.  Last week, Watkins had 8 targets, and Brown had 6 and caught all 6.

Given how well Brown is playing, I actually wonder what role Bateman is going to have.

• Mike in STL likes this

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,785 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 08:53 AM

Nice article.

On the topic of Proche, it's tough to find targets for him if we're only throwing the ball around 30 times a game.  Brown had 6 catches on 10 targets and IIRC was open for 2 more but Jackson overthrew him.  Watkins went 4 for 7, and Andrews was 5 for 5.  Last week, Watkins had 8 targets, and Brown had 6 and caught all 6.

Given how well Brown is playing, I actually wonder what role Bateman is going to have.

I can see Watkins losing some run to Bateman.  We'll see how good Bateman actually is out of the gate.  Some rookie WR are really good right away while others take a lot of time or struggle early.  

Good problem to have if we think the other guys are playing so well that he'll have a hard time finding snaps. Don't think I agree with that thesis, but I do think Brown is playing very well so far this year.

• Mike in STL likes this

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,013 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:49 AM

Nice article.

On the topic of Proche, it's tough to find targets for him if we're only throwing the ball around 30 times a game. Brown had 6 catches on 10 targets and IIRC was open for 2 more but Jackson overthrew him. Watkins went 4 for 7, and Andrews was 5 for 5. Last week, Watkins had 8 targets, and Brown had 6 and caught all 6.

If Bateman is what he's supposed to be, he'll be making tough, physical catches and moving chains on 3rd down. My hope is that he looks like a young Anquan Boldin, or (if I'm letting my imagination get the best of me) DeAndre Hopkins.
  • BSLChrisStoner and PrimeTime like this

#7 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:50 AM

Can't tell you how many times I was just going to turn the game off and go to bed, but the Ravens kept doing enough to keep me around.  Glad I stuck it out!

We ran the ball all over them with 2 castoffs and a rookie!

It's funny I'm sure most of us expected the team to be 1-1 after the first two weeks but I don't think many expected the win to come against the Chiefs.   The fact that it did has me rethinking what they can accomplish this year.   The injuries are still a major concern but our luck in that regard has to improve somewhat, right??

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:18 AM

This was a high. Will be more lows. We have flaws and a bunch of injuries. That said you will hopefully start getting guys back like Bateman, Boyle, Smith, Wolfe etc. The RBs should get more comfortable in this unique running system. Still think we are sitting on 10 or 11 wins but as said in the article, if you can beat KC you can beat anyone. Something to remember as tge season goes on.

#9 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:27 AM

This was a high. Will be more lows. We gave flaws and a bunch of injuries. That said you will hopefully start getting guys back like Bateman, Boyle, Smith, Wolfe etc. The RBs should get more comfortable in this unique running system. Still think we are sitting on 10 or 11 wins but as said in the article, if you can beat KC you can beat anyone. Something to remember as tge season goes on.

Every team has flaws.  We saw KC's last night, as we just pounded them in the running game. I think EDC did a great job rebuilding the running back room and I am becoming convinced we will be the league's best running team again this year.  I said 11 wins but the injuries are overwhelming, but so is the heart this team plays with.  Harbaugh aggravates me at times, but his teams play real hard.

Last night, was the most dangerous player in the NFL deciding he was not losing and a battered, depleted team, playing as the movie said, with "Miles and Miles of heart."

@mikeghg

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:29 AM

That was up there with the win against Jacksonville in 2000. Wish I had been there. Big win against a team that has had your number for years.

So Lamar has won a playoff game and beaten the Chiefs. Those were the two big roadblocks people kept bringing up about him. The only thing left to quiet down any remaining doubters is to win a SB.

I think the Jax game in 2000, the Marques Robinson game against Seattle and this one, are my top 3.   I think last night may have been the best.

@mikeghg

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 September 2021 - 10:44 AM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...ff-their-backs/

Five thoughts (actually six) on the Ravens monumental victory over the Chiefs that will be talked about for years to come around these parts. 

Great Stuff Mike.  

The last point first.  I agree, 100% the right call.  If we give it back, we lose.  No guts, no glory.  Harbs and as it turns out Lamar, have guts.  They went, They made it.  Ball game, thanks for coming KC.  I had a Chiefs fan behind me.  He was yelling don't jump, their bluffing.  He clearly did not know us.  It is who we are, and what we do.

I noticed early in the 3rd, that Cleveland was in, and I looked at the Raven sideline, but did not see 72.  FWIW, I thought the Oline was playing well the entire game.

Oweh, the kid is very young, but wow, he is everywhere.  His speed really shows, when watching him from upstairs.

Lamar won the game, but damn, the kid made it possible.  We are going to have a lot of fun watching 99.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:13 PM

I so wish I could have been there.
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:22 PM

Great Stuff Mike.  

The last point first.  I agree, 100% the right call.  If we give it back, we lose.  No guts, no glory.  Harbs and as it turns out Lamar, have guts.  They went, They made it.  Ball game, thanks for coming KC.  I had a Chiefs fan behind me.  He was yelling don't jump, their bluffing.  He clearly did not know us.  It is who we are, and what we do.

I noticed early in the 3rd, that Cleveland was in, and I looked at the Raven sideline, but did not see 72.  FWIW, I thought the Oline was playing well the entire game.

Oweh, the kid is very young, but wow, he is everywhere.  His speed really shows, when watching him from upstairs.

Lamar won the game, but damn, the kid made it possible.  We are going to have a lot of fun watching 99.

He definitely hasn't watched  a Ravens game in the last 5 years. :mrgreen:

• Mike B likes this

#14 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:35 PM

After Monday, I have no clue how to feel about this team. They won me some money last night, as I was the idiotic like 8% who bet on Baltimore last night. But I feel like Vegas is a lot better than people realize. They went cross country, on a short week, and beat Pittsburgh in Pitt. I think Pittsburgh is severely overrated, but they're still a tough out at home.

Now we've lost to a 2-0 team, but we beat arguably the best team in football. So who knows.

I do think Oweh is phenomenal. After watching him in preseason. I made comments prior to week one that I thought he would be a lot better than most of us thought he'd be that early on. He's exceeded my expectations by a lot. He is already playing like an elite edge setter against the run. But he is also getting some decent, consistent pressure. And his closing speed is unreal. After last night, I think it's fair to say we're currently getting our money's worth on the Orlando Brown trade. Sure, we gave up a legit LT. But if we have a dominant edge rusher from the move, I think it's fair to say it's at worst, an even trade.
  • Mike B and bmore_ken like this

#15 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:37 PM

Also, to note, according to PFF, Villanueva played a phenomenal game. As did Bozeman.

In an odd turn of events, Cleveland actually graded out good as a pass blocker, but below average as a run blocker.

#16 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 12:53 PM

I think the Jax game in 2000, the Marques Robinson game against Seattle and this one, are my top 3.   I think last night may have been the best.

Gonna rat on myself. I left early at the 2003 Seahawks game and wasn't there last night. As a PSL holder, that's inexcusable. I will try to do better from now on.

That win over JAX in 2000 was so special because it was the first big team win, at home, and we went onto win the SB. That was like the beginning of the franchise as a winning team. From then on, we were no longer the team formerly known as the Browns.

Whipping up on the Patriots in 2019 was awesome, too.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:28 PM

After Monday, I have no clue how to feel about this team. They won me some money last night, as I was the idiotic like 8% who bet on Baltimore last night. But I feel like Vegas is a lot better than people realize. They went cross country, on a short week, and beat Pittsburgh in Pitt. I think Pittsburgh is severely overrated, but they're still a tough out at home.

Now we've lost to a 2-0 team, but we beat arguably the best team in football. So who knows.

I do think Oweh is phenomenal. After watching him in preseason. I made comments prior to week one that I thought he would be a lot better than most of us thought he'd be that early on. He's exceeded my expectations by a lot. He is already playing like an elite edge setter against the run. But he is also getting some decent, consistent pressure. And his closing speed is unreal. After last night, I think it's fair to say we're currently getting our money's worth on the Orlando Brown trade. Sure, we gave up a legit LT. But if we have a dominant edge rusher from the move, I think it's fair to say it's at worst, an even trade.

We had Vegas beat but yeah still counts as an L. We are fine. We have an identity, at least on offense. Still feels like a 10 or 11 win season.

#18 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 03:59 PM

We had Vegas beat but yeah still counts as an L. We are fine. We have an identity, at least on offense. Still feels like a 10 or 11 win season.

I think KC just has an absolutely atrocious run defense that we exploited. So, while we beat them, I'm not sure if we can maintain that type of run game against more stout front 7's.

Lamar needs to cut down on the turnovers. Last night one INT was on Watkins. Tough pick-6 on a timing route where his WR fell down as he was releasing the ball. But the 2nd INT was 100% on him. You simply cannot throw the ball into triple coverage. I know KC ran a pretty unique disguised cover 2, but you have to see Brown is completely covered on all sides.

I wonder how much that forced pass is on the coaching staff trying to make him more of a picket type passer vs letting him just roll out and improvise.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,029 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:52 PM

I think KC just has an absolutely atrocious run defense that we exploited. So, while we beat them, I'm not sure if we can maintain that type of run game against more stout front 7's.

Lamar needs to cut down on the turnovers. Last night one INT was on Watkins. Tough pick-6 on a timing route where his WR fell down as he was releasing the ball. But the 2nd INT was 100% on him. You simply cannot throw the ball into triple coverage. I know KC ran a pretty unique disguised cover 2, but you have to see Brown is completely covered on all sides.

I wonder how much that forced pass is on the coaching staff trying to make him more of a picket type passer vs letting him just roll out and improvise.

For sure some other teams will be more stout against our running game. 8n particular divisional opponents who are not only talented but see us a lot. That said, were still going to run the ball effectively. How many 100 yard games in a row now. Also interested in knowing what our lowest ypc game was since Lamar has been QB and Roman OC. Has anyone held us under 4.0 ypc?? Under 4.5 ypc???

The forced pass was on Lamar trying to do too much. Hes usually pretty risk adverse passing the ball.

#20 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 September 2021 - 06:56 PM

Lamar took Jalen Ramsey and Aaron Donald to school in 2019 which took their defensive ranking from like 1 to 8. He can torch anyone. Besides, as bad as our secondary is, we aren't always facing Patrick Mahomes, so the run game doesn't always have to show up like it did yesterday.
  • Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=