131 replies to this topic

#101 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:01 PM

I just dont understand taking even a sec to think about that deal. The only reason anyone has any thought on it is because its the trade deadline. If they made this exact move a month ago no one would have even known. Its non news but its non news on deadline day.

#102 Grindelwald

Grindelwald
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:02 PM

You do know SG, right, he doesnt need facts lol
He is against this deal. :)

SG is the only person on the planet who thinks Armstrong is worth anything, and I’m not sure why. Armstrong isn’t good.

#103 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:49 PM

Keep mind, 99% of the fans wanted Arieta gone and that he was washed up, not going to amount to anything.

I dont have to remind you of the results of that action.

He was never going to amount to anything in Baltimore. He couldn't become the stud he became until he got into an organization that knew what they were doing with pitching.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#104 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:55 PM

Good point.

But, reserve my right to change my mind, if I see Tampa fix him and he becomes a big league pitcher.

That still wouldn't make selling him today any different than designating him off of the 40-man a month ago.

#105 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 01:57 PM

I don't think the Os are going to do a damned thing.

#106 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:03 PM

I don't think the Os are going to do a damned thing.

Should they?  Aside from some really deep prospects for some middle relievers, I don't think it's possible for them to make a deal that makes the team better in the long term. Of course we can't know without knowing what the offers are, but I'd be very surprised if Elias is turning down meaningful talent for Mancini and Means.  I'm much more worried that he'd deal them for less than I'd like to see than I am that he says no to a deal he should say yes to.  Does anyone feel otherwise?

• BobPhelan likes this

#107 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 02:04 PM

Should they? Aside from some really deep prospects for some middle relievers, I don't think it's possible for them to make a deal that makes the team better in the long term. Of course we can't know without knowing what the offers are, but I'd be very surprised if Elias is turning down meaningful talent for Mancini and Means. I'm much more worried that he'd deal them for less than I'd like to see than I am that he says no to a deal he should say yes to. Does anyone feel otherwise?

I have no idea, but I find it hard to believe that neither one is fetching a reasonable offer.

#108 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:03 PM

Reasonable offer? I am not trading two guys who could be long term solutions for the team for a reasonable rate of return. I didn’t expect anything happening today so I am not surprised. We just don’t have enough commodities to trade, and I would have to be blown away for TM and JM to be traded.

#109 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:04 PM

Galvis traded to the Phillies.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#110 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:05 PM

I have no idea, but I find it hard to believe that neither one is fetching a reasonable offer.

Which neither one?

Means and Mancini?  I'd be very surprised if anyone offers what I'd want for either.  I'd have a medium-high bar for these guys, and I don't see others paying.  I'd still be surprised, but less so, if anyone offered a step below what I want, which is probably closer to what people who wanna see either traded would take.

Sulser and Fry?  Agree.  I'd let either go for basically any real prospect, that meaning someone on a top-30 or a somewhat intriguing international guy that is too young to really have gotten much attention.  Very low bar.

#111 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:06 PM

Reasonable offer? I am not trading two guys who could be long term solutions for the team for a reasonable rate of return. I didn’t expect anything happening today so I am not surprised. We just don’t have enough commodities to trade, and I would have to be blown away for TM and JM to be traded.

I think you and I have a very different definition of "long term."

#112 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:06 PM

I'd put him in the Fry/Sulser category.  Basically anything is an acceptable return.

#113 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:07 PM

Per Roch, that’s our only move.
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#114 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:08 PM

I'd put him in the Fry/Sulser category. Basically anything is an acceptable return.

Yeah. Urias needs to be playing SS every day the rest of the year. Still, Id bet Elias got something somewhat intriguing in return.

#115 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:15 PM

Btw you dont just give away guys like Fry and Sulser. You need someone to pitch the last few months. Both are still team controlled and if they finish strong could bring something of value in return this offseason or at next years deadline. Understand how volatile RP value can be. The Cubs wouldnt have been able to give Kimbrel away after '19. A years worth of excellent pitching between '20 and '21 nets the Cubs a 24 yr old former #4 pick who's been a .300 hitter in the show and has 4 years of team control remaining.

Sulser and Fry dont have Kimbrel's track record nor are either ever going to be as lights out as he has been of late. That said, they could certainly establish solid value over the next year or so.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#116 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,681 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:15 PM

I think you and I have a very different definition of "long term."

To suggest that either Mancini or Means cannot contribute to the next winning Orioles team is a little ridiculous, But to each his own.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#117 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:18 PM

Especially Means. He's team controlled for 3 more years.

#118 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:25 PM

Have seen a few tweets that say the return on Galvis is Tyler Burch.

#119 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:26 PM

#orioles receiving Class A right-hander Tyler Burch from #phillies for SS Freddy Galvis. Has combined 3.99 ERA and 1.091 WHIP in 23 games between Jersey Shore and Clearwater. 8 walks, 49 strikeouts in 29 1/3 innings. Has 2.63 ERA and 1.031 WHIP in 35 games in minors.

#120 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 03:35 PM

Tons of Ks, but basically a senior on the JV team as a 23 y/o reliever at low-A for most of this year.  Undrafted guy in 2019.  Not in the Phillies top-30.

This might be the last day we ever talk about him :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=