• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#81 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:54 AM

Can only speak for myself but I have more confidence in Elias. Not as much the ownership. Still, I think its possible if we build a great farm we can churn out consistent MLB players and supplement a bit through FA.

I agree with all of this. But it's the supplementing part of the plan that seems to always fall short.  

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#82 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:04 AM

I'm not expecting them to shop Rodeo Drive.  I'm expecting them add a piece or two from Banana Republic. 

Although it's not my main point, I do still think that there are times when shopping Rodeo Drive is a good idea, if not downright necessary. As for signing impact FA players, I'll believe it when I see it. 

I'm no fan of Manny, and I'm kind of glad that he's gone. But I also know that he is considered a generational talent. When you manage to luck up and draft a guy like that, you make him a career player for your org. Unless you're an Angelos. If you're an Angelos, you trade away a possible HOFer, and replace him with Rio Ruiz. That's how you win at the MLB level.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#83 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:15 AM

Although it's not my main point, I do still think that there are times when shopping Rodeo Drive is a good idea, if not downright necessary. As for signing impact FA players, I'll believe it when I see it. 

I'm no fan of Manny, and I'm kind of glad that he's gone. But I also know that he is considered a generational talent. When you manage to luck up and draft a guy like that, you make him a career player for your org. Unless you're an Angelos. If you're an Angelos, you trade away a possible HOFer, and replace him with Rio Ruiz. That's how you win at the MLB level.  

That in a nut shell is O's Front Office 101 and why I have no confidence this team will compete anytime soon despite some here throwing out 2023. Whether the average fan liked Manny or not, he should have been kept. It's not like they didn't have the cash. 

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 10:25 AM

That's how you win at the MLB level.  

That's one way to win at the MLB level.

#85 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 12:55 PM

That's one way to win at the MLB level.

Respectfully, your reply is too short. I'm not sure what you're saying. It can't be that you consider replacing a Manny with Ruiz is a good baseball move. 

#86 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:32 PM

Respectfully, your reply is too short. I'm not sure what you're saying. It can't be that you consider replacing a Manny with Ruiz is a good baseball move. 

I took what you said as saying spending at the top of the market was how you win.  And my reply to that is that it's one way you can win.

The Orioles could have resigned Manny, and built a team that could win that way (at-least over a portion of his contract). 
The Orioles can build a team without Manny that can win too. 

The Dodgers can be the Dodgers and win.... the Rays can build their way, and win. 

There are multiple ways to build an organization. 

• Mike B and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#87 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:42 PM

I took what you said as saying spending at the top of the market was how you win.  And my reply to that is that it's one way you can win.

The Orioles could have resigned Manny, and built a team that could win that way (at-least over a portion of his contract). 
The Orioles can build a team without Manny that can win too. 

The Dodgers can be the Dodgers and win.... the Rays can build their way, and win. 

There are multiple ways to build an organization. 

Ahh, OK. I didn't do a great job of making my point. I don't think the O's (or any team) needs to always spend at the top of the FA market. You used TB as an example, it's one I often refer to, because they somehow manage to consistently churn out talent. But even they should occasionally shop the high end of the FA market. If they did, I bet they'd have some trophies, rather than just a few division titles and a couple WS visits. So I totally agree with you, there are multiple paths to the mountain top. But that should, sometimes, include outbidding everyone and lock down a player that will push you over the top.    

#88 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 09:13 AM

Hang on for the ride...

The Orioles are trading RHP Shawn Armstrong to the Rays for cash considerations, per source. @masnRoch was first with the news.

#89 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:10 AM

Hang on for the ride...

The Orioles are trading RHP Shawn Armstrong to the Rays for cash considerations, per source. @masnRoch was first with the news.

this is what budget / profit hungry teams do.

• bmore_ken likes this

#90 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:49 AM

It's difficult to not immediately go to that opinion, that's for sure. 

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 10:54 AM

It's difficult to not immediately go to that opinion, that's for sure. 

Did we forget who Shawn Armstrong is?  Everyone wanted him released for nothing a month ago. And he was, but went unclaimed, so he ended up at Norfolk instead of on the street.

I'm all for piling on ownership, but this seems like clearing out space on Norfolk's roster for some promotions more than anything else to me.

• BobPhelan likes this

#92 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:02 AM

Did we forget who Shawn Armstrong is?  Everyone wanted him released for nothing a month ago. And he was, but went unclaimed, so he ended up at Norfolk instead of on the street.

I'm all for piling on ownership, but this seems like clearing out space on Norfolk's roster for some promotions more than anything else to me.

Good point.

But, reserve my right to change my mind, if I see Tampa fix him and he becomes a big league pitcher.

#93 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:03 AM

I know the trade, in and of itself, is not a big deal either way. It's the "cash considerations" aspect of the trade that makes it look so...well...Angelos-esque. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#94 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:09 AM

SG is against it, so that tells me, Im for it. :) :) :)

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 11:49 AM

In general viewing all the trades from afar, it looks like a good year to be a buyer. Nobody seems to be paying through the nose even for star, controllable talent like Gallo and Turner. Good prospects are moving, but no great prospects.

Doubt anything of consequence could be coming to the Orioles.  I'll be surprised if the return for Scott or Sulser or Fry is someone who cracks our top-20.  I'd keep Scott, ok with dealing Fry/Sulser even for such marginal returns.

#96 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:31 PM

SG is against it, so that tells me, Im for it. :) :) :)

Against what? Armstrong? How can anyone have any opinion on that deal.
  • BobPhelan and bmore_ken like this

#97 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:32 PM

In general viewing all the trades from afar, it looks like a good year to be a buyer. Nobody seems to be paying through the nose even for star, controllable talent like Gallo and Turner. Good prospects are moving, but no great prospects.

Doubt anything of consequence could be coming to the Orioles. I'll be surprised if the return for Scott or Sulser or Fry is someone who cracks our top-20. I'd keep Scott, ok with dealing Fry/Sulser even for such marginal returns.

Absolutely. You keep Scott unless someone views him as a high leverage arm and willing to pay a nice little price for that plus 3 or 4 years of team control

#98 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:35 PM

The Blue Jays really need bullpen help and apparently are very open to dealing top prospects. Kick the tires there!

#99 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:36 PM

Keep mind, 99% of the fans wanted Arieta gone and that he was washed up, not going to amount to anything.

I dont have to remind you of the results of that action.

#100 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 30 July 2021 - 12:47 PM

Against what? Armstrong? How can anyone have any opinion on that deal.

You do know SG, right, he doesnt need facts lol

He is against this deal. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=