@mattymatty2000

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:34 AM

I think they deal Fry for basically nothing and that will be it.

#3 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,321 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:48 AM

While I don't want them to trade Mancini I also really don't want them to make the same mistake they did with Manny.

1. Extend him.

2. Trade him.

Pick one and do it this month.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:11 AM

While I don't want them to trade Mancini I also really don't want them to make the same mistake they did with Manny.

1. Extend him.

2. Trade him.

Pick one and do it this month.

Neither happens, IMO.  Neither really needs to.  Trey isn't Manny.  It's not possible for him to get too expensive for even the cheap ass Orioles after next season.  Even if he finishes really strongly and then has a 2019-esque season next year, he's not gonna cost more than about 4/$60M as a free agent.  5/$85M max.  If that's too expensive, then he's already too expensive as someone looking primed for about $12M or so per year (for FA years, less in 2022 obviously).

I'd very much be in support of an extension for him.  But I can't agree that the 3rd option of "do nothing, revisit later" isn't a perfectly acceptable route to take right now.  It wasn't with Manny.  He absolutely should have been signed years earlier.  I'd have been waving a contract in his face as he was coming out of anesthesia after his first knee injury.

• bmore_ken and makoman like this

#5 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:48 AM

I think they deal Fry for basically nothing and that will be it.

I agree with that, but I also think Scott gets traded for a little more than nothing.

@mikeghg

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,641 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:42 AM

I really do not think the Orioles have many pieces that are going to attract other teams.  I think they probably make a deal but I do not think it will be anything big.

Trading Fry and or Scott, would save them a few bucks, but not return much.  Trading Trey, IMO, will further alienate, and already discouraged fan base.

I do think Elias, would be comfortable punting yet another season (22). 

@mikeghg

#7 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 July 2021 - 12:45 PM

He has a mental block for closing but I think Cole Sulser probably gets moved to someone who could use another reliable guy in the 6th or 7th inning. I don't think it'd be anything besides teenage Latin lottery tickets but if you can get any sort of value for a 31-year-old reliever who can't close, you gotta do it.

Anyone who's in the 90th percentile for K% and 83rd percentile for whiff rate is going to be appealing to at least one team

Screen-Shot-2021-07-22-at-1-41-40-PM.png

• BSLChrisStoner, Dr. FLK, BobPhelan and 2 others like this

#8 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:01 PM

Sulser, Fry, and Mancini.   Gone.

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:08 PM

Sulser, Fry, and Mancini. Gone.

I tend to agree with this.

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:16 PM

Ill still take the no on Trey being moved. Maybe we'll start to hear news in the coming days that the Os are looking to move him but I haven't heard that yet. I don't know how much you'd even get for him. Hes a DH first and 1b second. A current sub .800 OPS one at that. Do you really get much more value back than you got for Givens last year?

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:18 PM

I agree with that, but I also think Scott gets traded for a little more than nothing.

Possible. If Elias gets someone to pay like Scott is a high leverage arm he'll move him. Doubt that happens.

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:20 PM

Maybe someone bites on giving up something for Santander. Make no mistake, it won't be much, but if Elias doesn't plan to tender him then you get something now and you cut his remaining '21 salary off the books.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,883 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:22 PM

Why is Trey a DH first and 1B second? I don't agree with that. He's perfectly acceptable defensively at 1B. Even could be used in LF in a pinch.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:24 PM

Why is Trey a DH first and 1B second? I don't agree with that. He's perfectly acceptable defensively at 1B. Even could be used in LF in a pinch.

Fair enough about the 1b/DH part but not like there is much if any difference in value just because he can play an adequate 1b. I think his OF days are done and hes viewed that way around the league outside of an emergency situation. Not emergency like we play him there for 10-14 days. Emergency like he finishes the game and we call up someone else after its over.

#15 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:29 PM

Ill still take the no on Trey being moved. Maybe we'll start to hear news in the coming days that the Os are looking to move him but I haven't heard that yet. I don't know how much you'd even get for him. Hes a DH first and 1b second. A current sub .800 OPS one at that. Do you really get much more value back than you got for Givens last year?

I would be okay with the take we got back for Givens.   

Nevins is a potential Mancini-like player.  Vavra a potential starting 2B.   Deshon an interesting Dominican OF with tools.  Sign me up.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:31 PM

Nevins is a potential Mancini-like player. Vavra a potential starting 2B. Deshon an interesting Dominican OF with tools. Sign me up.

I think I would too but it would piss off the masses.

#17 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:39 PM

I think I would too but it would piss off the masses.

If they wanted to appease the masses, they would have taken Rocker in the first round.

#18 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:52 PM

Nevins is a potential Mancini-like player. Vavra a potential starting 2B. Deshon an interesting Dominican OF with tools. Sign me up.

Agreed I would take that type of return in a heartbeat.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,281 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:02 PM

If they wanted to appease the masses, they would have taken Rocker in the first round.

I got a feeling they dont want to take the PR hit on Mancini. We shall see though.

#20 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:04 PM

I got a feeling they dont want to take the PR hit on Mancini. We shall see though.

You might be right but it's not like it's going to hurt ticket sales, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=