#361 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 09:36 PM

Here's what Law said about Cowser before the season:

Cowser reached the majors last year but continued to struggle with the same issues he had in Triple A in 2022: He doesn’t hit lefties, and he doesn’t hit non-fastballs, or at least doesn’t do either of these things well enough to project as an everyday player. He’s a 55 defender in a corner with a 70 arm, and he can handle center on a short-term basis, so there are plenty of ways for him to generate value — and maybe get more reps in the majors to work on either of those two deficiencies. I think he’s a good fourth outfielder right now, with some small chance to become more because he can defend, can whack a fastball, and does make pretty hard contact.

FTR, Cowser had a .769 OPS v lefties last year in AAA, which was a vast improvement from his initial struggles in '21 and '22 vs lefties. 

He's going to develop into an everyday player. (Law's take will age poorly). 

Edit - I say that cuz he's hitting to all fields with power. He'll continue his development vs lefties. 

#362 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 11 April 2024 - 09:54 PM

They're feeding him a pretty heavy dose of offspeed/breaking stuff this year and he's just ripping it to shreds.  Of his hits this year:

• 5 on breaking balls, 
  • 4 on fastballs
  • 2 on cutters

I love that he's just poking that backdoor slider to LF.  It looks like he's fixed his timing issues from last year (he was late to everything last year in the Majors) and he still has more than enough bat speed to turn on fastballs, as his 2nd HR showed.

• CantonJester likes this

#363 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:13 PM

They're feeding him a pretty heavy dose of offspeed/breaking stuff this year and he's just ripping it to shreds.  Of his hits this year:

• 5 on breaking balls, 
  • 4 on fastballs
  • 2 on cutters

I love that he's just poking that backdoor slider to LF.  It looks like he's fixed his timing issues from last year (he was late to everything last year in the Majors) and he still has more than enough bat speed to turn on fastballs, as his 2nd HR showed.

Jordan Westburg on Colton, who told Jackson Holliday to just remember to 'breathe' during his first MLB game, "Apparently Colton's into breathing now."

Works for me! 

#364 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 07:55 AM

most RBI in 3-game series (or shorter) as visitor at Fenway Park, since RBI official (1920)

1969 Reggie Jackson, OAK: 15
1957 Vic Wertz, CLE: 12 [2gm series]
1989 Junior Felix, TOR: 11
2024 Colton Cowser, BAL: 10
2022 Raimel Tapia, TOR: 10
2021 Giancarlo Stanton, NYY: 10
1994 Jose Canseco, TEX: 10

• SonicAttack likes this

#365 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 07:56 AM

hit 1st 2 career MLB HR in same game, Orioles history:

4/11/24 Colton Cowser
8/30/20 Ryan Mountcastle
8/10/12 Manny Machado
8/21/10 Josh Bell
9/25/73 Jim Fuller
4/17/65 Curt Blefary
5/2/62 Boog Powell

(edited to remove Browns players)

• NewMarketSean and SonicAttack like this

#366 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 April 2024 - 10:25 AM

Confidence is a wonderful thing.  Cowser has relaxed and we are seeing what he can be.  He really reminds me of Markakis.

• BobPhelan and NewMarketSean like this
@mikeghg

#367 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,405 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 10:42 AM

Cowser has more power than Markakis but hes also going to strike out tons more. Not sure if he will get on base at the same rate either though its possible. I dont really see many similarities. 

• Mackus likes this

#368 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 11:02 AM

Cowser has more power than Markakis but hes also going to strike out tons more. Not sure if he will get on base at the same rate either though its possible. I dont really see many similarities. 

Gap to gap power... Cowser should have a lot of doubles.  Markakis in '07, and '08 had the ability to go opposite field for power. 

Cowser looks like he has a strong base, fluid. 

Was talking more swing path, bat speed, physicality vs. approach.   

Nick of course had the great eye and command of the strike zone. 
I have to see more of Cowser to have an opinion there.
He had huge obp numbers in the minors. 

#369 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 11:49 AM

You called him stiff, robotic and unathletic, I saw nothing of the sort on those great grabs he made last night. Now you want to deduct credit for those plays because of the "wall" so be it.

He did look like all of those things during his time last year. Like 2035, I pointed out similar things. In short, he looked overwhelmed in pretty much all aspects of his game. While I criticized him, I genuinely felt for the guy and rooted for him in game threads. He was trying, however,He was likely trying too hard and pressing.

I give Cowser all the credit in the world. He worked with the hitting coaches and made adjustments. More importantly, He went out and won a tough spring training competition to make the roster and has made Austin Hays the next coming of Wally Pipp.

I hope he makes a strong case for ROY.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#370 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 12 April 2024 - 02:16 PM

Batting 2nd tonight
  • NewMarketSean likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#371 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:10 PM

Get him some ABs.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#372 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 April 2024 - 07:42 PM

What a different looking player than last year. Dud to stud.

#373 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:39 PM

What a different looking player than last year. Dud to stud.

Confidence can do wonders.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#374 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 10:17 PM

Confidence can do wonders.

his swing is so much quicker to the zone now.

#375 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,405 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 10:35 PM

I do think so much of it is confidence. Cowser in particular looked uncomfortable and overwhelmed last year. I mean Gunnar did early in the season too but Cowser was really wearing it. He needed to have that I belong stretch and it never came and it made the pressing worse.
  • You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#376 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:33 AM

The other draft thread got me remembering that Cowser (and Kjerstad) were both underslot guys.  As-is current MLB-er and recent top prospect Jackson Merrill.  Henderson and Mayo are examples of guys who were went overslot and able to be signed after saving money earlier.

Just something to keep in mind when this year's draft rolls around and the O's consider going uderslot again, though there is less advantage to doing so at the end of the round compared to the front.  Once you're past the top 1, maybe top 2 picks, its really hard to know who of the remaining tier is gonna be the best so I'm very in favor of going underslot from #3 onward most years.  I don't expect the O's to have to consider that anytime soon, though.

• BobPhelan likes this

#377 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:39 AM

The other draft thread got me remembering that Cowser (and Kjerstad) were both underslot guys. As-is current MLB-er and recent top prospect Jackson Merrill. Henderson and Mayo are examples of guys who were went overslot and able to be signed after saving money earlier.

Just something to keep in mind when this year's draft rolls around and the O's consider going uderslot again, though there is less advantage to doing so at the end of the round compared to the front. Once you're past the top 1, maybe top 2 picks, its really hard to know who of the remaining tier is gonna be the best so I'm very in favor of going underslot from #3 onward most years. I don't expect the O's to have to consider that anytime soon, though.

Technically Holliday was underslot too, he signed for like $100 more than 1:2 slot. Was like a 600k savings in the pool.
  • Mackus likes this

#378 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:46 AM

Technically Holliday was underslot too, he signed for like $100 more than 1:2 slot. Was like a 600k savings in the pool.

Yeah Rutschman too. I consider both of them costing less more of a benefit of #1 than either being an underslot choice, but fair to add them in.

#379 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 April 2024 - 08:54 AM

1:1 is typically underslot. There’s only so much leverage a player can have in that situation.

#380 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,405 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:09 AM

The benefits of tanking baby. Get the top talent and a huge draft pool. Someome semd out the dude batsignal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=